stock pipe vs barry pipe vs custom

GoldenMotor.com

onefast68

Jan 25, 2010
texas
i have an 80cc kit on my occ chopper..question i have is about which runs the best..i am waiting on a hub from manic so i havent rode it yet but i do have a pull start on it so i have started it..with the barry straight pipe from ebay its extremely loud as expected but it does not rev well at all,just sounds rough when you rev it up...put the stock kit muffler on and it revs way smoother and of course its way more quiet..

anyone tried it both ways to see which runs better going down the road?

what muffler do you run?

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
my son in law (azvinnie) has run stock, barry's, and the chopper pipe from spookytooth :)
the best results were using an expansion chamber modded to fit the chopper frame
I believe the best performing length was about 12" from header flange to the chamber

onefast68

Jan 25, 2010
texas
i have pmed him before with no response..ask him which performs better..the stock pipe or barrys pipe ,if you would.

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
yea, Barry's pipe is just to loud for me.I never really notice much difference in Barry's and stock. If you really want better performance and good sound go with sick bike parts expansion chamber.Thats what i use.

Attachments

Last edited:

onefast68

Jan 25, 2010
texas
for this go round i ordered the livefast chopper pipe..once i get used to it i may try the expansion chamber..

hey toker,whats the silver tank behind your motor for?

Wood.Neely

Feb 16, 2010
Auburn, AL
quick question....i just bought a new GRUBEE Skyhawk 88cc engine and now i am looking for an exhuast extension. my buddy has the stock pipe and it works well, but it spits out right at your feet. i wanted to find something that would extend the pip out the back, behind me.... any suggestions?

onefast68

Jan 25, 2010
texas
bought the livefast pipe last night on ebay and then got an email today saying they are out of stock for 30 days and will refund my money..guess i will cut the barry pipe and weld the stock muffler onto it.

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
My exhaust is from Barry as well, but it is just as loud/quiet as the stock one. I bought it from him in about January 2005, so the design has changed since then. The way he did it then, you send him your stock exhaust, and lengthens the pipe, and reuses the original muffler and endcap so the sound stays the same basically.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
you could probably mod (weld) the stock cap to the end of barry's pipe as well ;)
(if it's one that the guts are welded to the cap, ie: the one with the tube connected to the pipe)

onefast68

Jan 25, 2010
texas
you could probably mod (weld) the stock cap to the end of barry's pipe as well ;)
(if it's one that the guts are welded to the cap, ie: the one with the tube connected to the pipe)
the pipe is welded to the muffler..i figured i could cut off leaving a small stubb..stubb is a little smaller than the barry pipe so i could just slip the barry pipe (after i shorten it) over the stub then weld them together.

i want an all chrome pipe so this will have to do till livefast gets some pipes in.

onefast68

Jan 25, 2010
texas
well i cut up the pipe and and welded on the muffler..to get it the right length i had to leave some of barrys bigger pipe and welded the muffler to it..inside barrys pipe was some washers right at the transition from the little to big pipe...i used a long drill bit and opened up the hole in the washers as much as i could..so now the exhaust goes through the little pipe hits the washer and into the bigger chamber and then through the muffler..it actually sounds pretty good and revs real good...here is a pic,i will build a mount strap this week as well.

Last edited:

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
for this go round i ordered the livefast chopper pipe..once i get used to it i may try the expansion chamber..

hey toker,whats the silver tank behind your motor for?
Actually the little silver thing is stainless steal beer coozie turned upside down with a hose ran to the carb with a NOS sticker.Its just for looks. LOL!

Here is an old picture when it was brand new.It had Barry's pipe on it then.

Attachments