gas tank on rear rack..

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I don't have any links to pictures handy but I've seen several bikes with rack mount tanks. They look sort of odd but as long at the petcock is higher than the carburetor the fuel will flow just fine. Several of our sponsors sell rack mount tanks especially designed for that type of application. Check here> ENGINE_KIT_PARTS_PAGE_5
Good luck.
Tom

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
2nd that motion:; 've seen both stock kit tank and mnfcd rack mt tanks on racks. Be aware that if you mt your stock tank w/ petcock forward you could run out of gas sooner do to hills or "foward/rearward" situation i.e. you go forward, gas goes rearward.

cajunmike

Sep 30, 2009
Indy
Yea I put mine in the back used a back rack seat post clamp and a piece of conduit and clamped it to that tucked up under close to seat it slipped with just one bolt holding so I took two pipe clamps put them together and clamped them under seat kind of hidden away. That held, looks good.

lilffihn

Oct 18, 2009
Winona MN (southeast MN)
wow good idea can you post any pics...tyrslider r u saying that when i go up a hill or go fast the gas will move to the back and it wont be able to go into the tube going to the carb?????could i just mount it tilted so the gas would go to the tube no matter what???

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Pretty much, probably only the last few oz's. I just mean that although the tidiest way to mount a stock tank on the rack is w/ the fuel tap fwd if you cut your fuel line a little longer and mt the tap rearward you'll catch every last drop.

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
Here's pics of two builds I did.
The first one (grey diamondback) is mine using a rear mount flat tank from Dax.
The second is a build for my father in law using a standard tank on the rear rack.
I prefer the tank in back just to get it out of the way.

Attachments

lilffihn

Oct 18, 2009
Winona MN (southeast MN)
Here's pics of two builds I did.
The first one (grey diamondback) is mine using a rear mount flat tank from Dax.
The second is a build for my father in law using a standard tank on the rear rack.
I prefer the tank in back just to get it out of the way.
wow thats pretty sweet...did the tank tubeing that came with it fit that much and do u lose any gas or anything?????and how did u mount it did u use the bolts its comes with on the tank???

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
wow thats pretty sweet...did the tank tubeing that came with it fit that much and do u lose any gas or anything?????and how did u mount it did u use the bolts its comes with on the tank???
I have done it to make my bike look less like a motorcycle....I bought a schwinn seat post mount rack from walmart,drilled 4 holes(one for each of the bolts on the tank and then covered it with a old backpack and bungie cords to hold the backpack over the tank....Later I moved it back to the front....
John-John

lilffihn

Oct 18, 2009
Winona MN (southeast MN)
I have done it to make my bike look less like a motorcycle....I bought a schwinn seat post mount rack from walmart,drilled 4 holes(one for each of the bolts on the tank and then covered it with a old backpack and bungie cords to hold the backpack over the tank....Later I moved it back to the front....
John-John
Was the stock tube long enough to reach there???

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Was the stock tube long enough to reach there???
No the gas tube was not long enough....Go to your local lawnmower shop and pick up some weedeather gasl line or bring in your gas line that came with the kit and they will match it up....I used to worry about the cops bothering me and the bike looks alot less like a motorcycle with the tank on the back....
John-John

Last edited:

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
Yeah it does look less like a motorcycle with the tank in back. Most people don't even notice the engine on my bike until I point it out.

lilffihn- I responded to your PM with specifics. Extra fuel line is nice to have around. ACO sells 2 ft of 1/4 clear fuel line for $2.50. Depending on what you have around (wallmart/HD/Lowes), check out the mower section as most if it is probably on clearance right now. In addition to fuel line, you could probably find good prices on 1/4 shut offs or 1/4 inline filters. Might as well grab a bag of small hose clamps as well just to be safe.

Dymaxion

Jan 1, 2010
Michigan
Here is one more for you - I am just finishing my first build and took it for it's maiden voyage tonight.

Mounted on the stock rear rack with some foam padding underneath the tank to stop vibrations and a mounting plate below the rack that I drilled into an approx 3x6" piece of steel plate I picked up at the local hardware store for about $2. The fuel line is 3/16" fuel line I bought at Napa Auto Parts - they sell it by the foot. The setup is very solid.

Not the best pics but I only had my cell phone camera with me tonight.

jimraysr

Apr 19, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I needed to get rid of the upper tube tank for safety. I looked around and found a used Honda tank for their 3 - 5 HP engines at a lawn mower shop. I used the three mounts on its bottom to fasten it to the rear rack. I shortened the spring loaded bar so I can still hold a jacket. I used auto lacquer and clearcoat to paint it black to blend in. Later I put a glass fuel filter in line to the carb.

I looked high and low for a nice round aluminum tank like some have found, but the $12 used tank worked out OK.

Jim

SANY0949.JPG

SANY0950.JPG

SANY0951.JPG

charles.paskell

Feb 25, 2010
NC
what you could do is what i did and put U shaped shims under the tank to prevent cable crimpage pics will be availible soon

Cheech

Aug 22, 2009
Red Rock,West Virginia,USA
I prefer the inconspicuous 1L stainless fuel bottle,just be sure that should you decide to go this route that it is a true fuel bottle that has a solvent resistant "O" ring and not a water bottle from WallyWorld.Even their metal bottles have a film coating that will dissolve and gum up your carb. Because,of the proper seals on the fuel bottles I'm able to carry spares of fuel in my back pack or 2nd bottle rack.....Cheech

Attachments