Fuel Path From Carb to Exhaust

GoldenMotor.com

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
I am still solving the hard start and now find that fuel is leaving the exhaust un-burnt, I know
this because it is dripping out of a muffler connection, (not a stock muffler), I don't think that
much fuel should be loading into the cylinder, Whats my problem ?

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
you might be running to rich. what color is the end of your spark plug. white to lean, brownish good, black to rich

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Hello Junster,
It's funny cause once I start it, . . . restarting seems quite easy, although it is in the 70's here,
checking the carb float makes good sense, and I will do that, . .

I hesitate in regards to the symptoms. To be honest I have delayed the leaner mixtures until this post and I am now using a 30:1 mix, so I will check back and let you know whats happening. Thanks much.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Try slipping a paper towel between the fins where the head meets the cylinder and see if it's oily in there. Hard starting is usually a leak. Either the head or the intake. I mean alot of other stuff can cause it but that's where to start.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
By Fins you are talking about the cooling fins around the head, right?

For lack of the correct term I am referring to JPS; Jet Post Stem.The entire post,No doubt this was at least part of the problem, it seems it was in place but completely
unscrewed, probably vibration, I may not have secured it tightly the last time I had it apart.
I'll let you know, how it starts.

Last edited:

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Ya I was talking about the cooling fins at the seam where the head mounts. Having the jet loose is going to give you fits for sure.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Yep, It sure does explain how rich the fuel was getting, it got so rich, it was dripping out of my exhaust
pipe, whoa, I'm lucky I didn't get a burn started.Take it easy man thanks for hangin in.