Let me pick your brain

GoldenMotor.com

philymitch

Feb 7, 2009
Fresno CA USA
Whats up guys I was just watching TV and had a thought. Some of us say a boost bottle helps throttle response and some say it don't work at all. Now what if you use the same set up but instead of the boost bottle you would use a propane bottle. So after the motor is started on gas you could interduce a small flow of propane gas to the mix using a torch valve. What do you guys think... could it be to much for the motors?

.duh.

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
hahaha! wow toytime.

i dont know anything about this sort of stuff, but it sounds hard on the engine.

philymitch

Feb 7, 2009
Fresno CA USA
If using propane instead of 2-stroke gas, where is the oil going to come from?
You would still use gas and oil. The propane would be connected to the intake ...between the carb and the motor..... only when riding would you interduce the propane to the intake adding propane to the gas and oil mix. It might help with pulling some of those hills the motor might need some help with. i wouldn't run it to long with the propane...... Kinda like a shot of nos with out the hi price set up.
Propane is like 110 octane or 115 octane. Might give a little boost?

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
it seems like the problem with the system you linked was still getting more oxygen into the mix unless i read it wrong.

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
I see at least 2 problems. Even if introduced after the carb, the propane needs oxygen to burn. I the carb is set to deliver a proper air/fuel mixture (which I hope is the case), then you pump propane into that mixture, it will be too rich (needs more air). Also, since motors suck the mixture in from the carb, pumping propane in after the carb will result in less air/gas being delivered.

Now, I'd like to see you (anybody but me) try fuel and oxygen. I bought a small setup for brazing. It has 2 small tanks, the size of small propane tanks, one with MAPP gas and one with oxygen. Mapp seems pretty close to acetylene. Pump a mixture of that in your motor. That should give you a boost!