why so slow?

GoldenMotor.com

Patchy

Aug 12, 2014
California
Wait. There's nothing more you can do until you go through your first few tanks. If you break it in fast you'll regret it. The bearings and piston rings need to be warn in slowly. We've all been there too, you can make it!

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Saw your pics...your drive-chain looks tight; consider reducing tension, too-tight can cause drag and premature wear. What sprocket d'ya have there? 44T? You can always reduce that to gain speed, just be patient an let 'er break in first. Also do a plug-chop to make sure your balanced. Mix ratio? Not 16:1 I hope...try 25:1 for break in. I also suggest that you only daydream about a shift-kit for now...they're expensive, will reduce your power, can be maintenance annoyances, and from what I could see, your stretch is one-speed/coaster-breaked, no? Get your motor running well and reliably first. Finally, pick up that darned plastic fork in your kitchen and throw it out!

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
One more observation: your carb is at a rather steep angle; this can cause fuel-delivery issues that can effect performance. Consider a different plenum.

Wait...one more thing: your mid-range vibration could be caused by your dangling muffler. Those act like tuning-forks and can rattle the whole system at the right frequency. Secure the fat-end to the frame with a strap...not under tension, just to keep it in place. This'll reduce the chance of the muffler's welds failing, and the nuts/studs backing-out/striping.

pedalurassoff

Nov 5, 2014
providence, RI
Thanks so much guys! Yes i was going 16/1. Ill add more gas tmrw. I went a couple miles today, taking it easy, on the way back home she died on me. I pedaled for about half a mile then she started up again, got me down that street then died again. I dont understand.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Probably a fouled spark plug or trash in the fuel, You ARE using a fuel filter, right? ALL chinadolls tend to collect little bits of trash in the fuel
from the tank paint job...

pedalurassoff

Nov 5, 2014
providence, RI
Maybe it is that. I notice of noise almost like rocks kicking up and hiting the frame when i ride. I know it is not that tho. I wonder where those sounds come from

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
That "rock sound": like pebbles clacking? Be careful...that's the same sound as an overburdened/overheating engine. If so, it's the piston/rings heat-expanding, and slightly impinging on the transfer-ports. Not fatal, but COULD catastrophically become so if ignored. Back-off the throttle to let the engine cool down (reduce speed) and see if it subsides. These engines are like women...listen carefully for unusual changes in inflection: it may betoken trouble if you don't treat her gently.

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
Be careful, China Girls do NOT take kindly to overheating. Since I've started my 2stroke adventures, I've warped a head and melted a piston(but not at the same time). Its no fun pedaling home a hundred pound bike from the far side of town. If its knocking or pinging, especially at full throttle, get a colder range spark plug, richen up the fuel mix, and/or reduce compression with a 2nd head or jug gasket. Don't let what happened to me happen to you. I ignored the warning signs and paid the price.

"If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning."
:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Looks like Dave is running a tad too lean :) Richen up the mix, SuperDave.

As for a 'clicking sound; check the fasteners at the cylinder head and the exhaust manifold. Both will produce clicking if they're loose or there is a bad gasket.

Tom

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Wait, richen? More oil? I was told go less.
25:1 oil; Tom's referring to your Air:Fuel ratio. To "richen" is to increase the fuel-delivery. This can be done by increasing the carb-jet size or raising the jet-needle. Get into the habit of using the very powerful SEARCH tool at the top of this page. While you're at it, search for "plug chop".

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Usually the second slot from the top works good for break-in. This is one setting less than full lean. (Needle one slot from fully bottomed in jet.)
Remember, raising the clip LOWERS the needle and leans the mix.
Lowering the clip RAISES the needle and richens the mix.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Usually the second slot from the top works good for break-in. This is one setting less than full lean. (Needle one slot from fully bottomed in jet.)
Remember, raising the clip LOWERS the needle and leans the mix.
Lowering the clip RAISES the needle and richens the mix.
And the needle clip position only controls mix at and below 3/4 throttle. Anything above about 3/4 is determined by jet orifice size. The clip position has no effect on wide open throttle (WOT) conditions.

Tom

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
My problem wasn't lean out, it was too hot of a spark plug for Florida. That silver frosting on the spark plug was from melted aluminum when it burnt a hole through the piston. Prior to that, my plug chops were between tan at wide open throttle (36 mph) to a milk chocolate at part throttle (20mph).

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Happy Birthday Sam!

There is great advice here.

Ride safe and have a great one!

(Great, I say "great" to much. Just great)

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Here's a good explanation of heat range and it's effects on engine temps.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_plug
Notice the article clearly states "plug heat range has only a very small effect on overall engine and combustion chamber temps". It's designed more for tuning the plug electrode temperature to resist fouling and prolong service life. Too hot a tip leads to premature electrode erosion.
Longer tip, hotter tip, shorter tip, cooler tip. Simple.
If you melted a piston, I guarantee it was a mixture problem or air leak and not the wrong plug.