Good names for coaster brakes?

GoldenMotor.com

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I have decided that my coaster brake hub is possibly defective. Based on a) a constant clicking that occurs when I'm riding and b) a constant clicking that ocurred when the chain was broken and I had to pedal it. So I have decided to slowly work my way into the realm of building a wheel. First I am wondering what to look for in a well made coaster brake. I have seen some NOS Schwinn parts on ebay but I also have access to a large pile of recycled parts so I am wondering if there are any brand names I should look for. Any other recomendations for a 26" x 2.250 wheel would also be appreciated.
Thanks!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I will add that a wheel or hub from an older bike will be a lot better than anything coming out of a chain store these days.

I have run coaster brakes wheels from the 60's and 70's, and they have better everything....chrome, hubs, even the rims.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I'm not sure why you want a coaster brake (I recommend the HD hub from BE, comes w/ band brake pic'd below and no more rubber donuts) , however I bought the husky wheel mentioned above and removed said hub. I'd take $20 for it 0 miles hardware sealed in bag. BTW that $42 wheel ships @ an additional $35. I bought it for the rim and spokes.

48T Solid Hub Heavy-Duty Axle Kit - $39.99 they have 44 tooth just ask.

If you look cool you don't have to go fast, but if you go fast you don't have to look cool!

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I'm not sure why you want a coaster brake (I recommend the HD hub from BE, comes w/ band brake pic'd below and no more rubber donuts) , however I bought the husky wheel mentioned above and removed said hub. I'd take $20 for it 0 miles hardware sealed in bag. BTW that $42 wheel ships @ an additional $35. I bought it for the rim and spokes.

48T Solid Hub Heavy-Duty Axle Kit - $39.99 they have 44 tooth just ask.

If you look cool you don't have to go fast, but if you go fast you don't have to look cool!
I had a run-around with Husky with the wrong wheels they sent me the first few times then told me they did not have the wheel I wanted in stock. Then they would not refund my money for some reason until I got my credit card involved.

They sent me a letter a few days later with a nice apologies and I got the wheel for $25.00 with no shipping. ;) BTW the shipping would have only been $15.00....they say that on the site $35.00 is the MOST shipping would cost and when you check out the shipping is adjusted for where you live. :)

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Well, I've gotten a Shimano hub and I am shopping around for a rim and spokes. I've decided, for better or worse, to go for the "learning experience" of building my own wheel.

Tyr: I'm going with the coaster because right now it is the best option available for the price. I have a set of rather feeble side pull brakes on also but they aren't the best and I certainly don't want to trust them alone. So I go with what I know! :D

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Yeah I paid $65 to ship 2 wheels and they didn't pack'em well at all. when I got them the axles were poking out the box and the inside axle of one bent 2 spokes at their crossing on the other wheel and one of the Sturmey nuts was missing. The owner insisted that it was not their fault but it was obvious to anyone who ships stuff that it was. long story short I told them to send me 2 spokes and an axle nut. They did.

Fin I think it's great that your building your own wheel. I've been building as many as I can (I'm signed up for a class in Jan). I've built 3 in the past month. I probably didn't phrase that right about the coaster brake. I don't like them because they fade when overheated and I broke my first one ("rubber donut sprocket" yanked the entire left side flange off it's splines). I don't like the kit sprocket set up. But that shimano is a bit better made than the one I broke.

Good luck and let me know if you need help w/ the wheel build. Make sure to use a spoke calculator or take the rim and hub w/ you when buying spokes.

Last edited:

greenephantom

Oct 5, 2008
Portland, Oregon
Bendix hubs are excellent, were made from the 1950s through the 1980s, and came on millions and millions of bikes. They are easy to rebuild and since there are so many of them out there they are usually easy to find.
Cheers, Geoff