Port matching questions

GoldenMotor.com

Looking at the image in the first post, how did you port your motor?

• A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • C

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
I know its probably been explained here a thousand times however most of the tutorials arent really specific when it comes to details (which is what I like so I dont screw stuff up). when you port match your motor, where exactly are you grinding out? My roommate's cylinder appears to be able to fit on my motor, however his cylinder is a GT5, mine is a GT5-a, so mine has 40mm stud spacing between both exhaust and intake ports, whereas the GT5 only has 40mm spacing for the exhaust side and, if I recall correctly, 32 or 36mm for the intake side. So I obviously cannot expand the intake side as much if I swap the cylinders, but here's the question:

when porting, where on the port is the material being taken off? Is it just on the piston side? Have a look at the attached picture, and let me know how each of you ports your motor. I understand C would most likely be the ideal situation however doing that with a dremel is rather... difficult and time consuming.

I allowed multiple choice because most people have more than one motor and while its likely all the motors will be ported the same (if at all), some of you could have gotten adventurous and ported one differently.

Attachments

Last edited:

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
I would choose D. The picture you didn't draw. I only removed material that did not affect the piston side. I didn't want to chip or flame the plating on the cylinder wall. Basically, I just gasket matched my engine. More material was actually removed from the intake manifold and the exhaust pipe.