Another Dimension Where all the Nuts go.

GoldenMotor.com

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Almost like that drill bit I was looking for yesterday, looked everywhere for it.
Turned up today as I was looking for a 10mm socket, found one, but not the one I was looking for, and there it was, the drill bit.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Garage Gremlins: They live in the rafters or under your work bench. When you drop something, they grab it, move it to another part of your garage and leave it there for you to find days or weeks later.

I had one that used to live in my garage. I named him 'Stupid S.O.B'. Whenever I'd misplace something, a tool or a part I'd say, "Okay, what did you do with it, you stupid s.o.b ? That's how he got his name.

Garage Gremlins are great at sneaking from their hiding places and moving things around when you're not looking. They take things, hide them and put them in places that you were never near. Like on the freezer on the other side of the garage.

No, it isn't your memory or your brain cells that are dying, it's Garage Gremlins.
There is no way to get rid of them, no repellants that you can spray or poisons to put out. If you have them, they're there to stay so just deal with it. Good luck.
Tom

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee

I find these and a good bright flashlight help to find stuff on the floor hidden by the gremlins. now misplaced tools on the other hand are not so easy to find. Need a much better way to store tools so I can tell one is missing.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I lost a 16 dollar bolt from my Suzuki that way. No amount of magnets, floor crawling laying with my eye level to the floor ever found it. A SIXTEEN DOLLAR BOLT!!!!

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
Around here its not just gremlins, we also have Jasper the Thieving Ghost. He likes to take stuff and put it back where it was a day to years later. In my most resent encounter he stole my mom's Dremel. We found it six months later right where it should have been when it vanished, sitting on her kitchen counter. This counter is a 3x4ft island on wheels. Only two keys exist for her house, she has one and I have a spare incase she locks herself out or looses it. There is no realistic explanation, just the local legend of Jasper the Thieving Ghost.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

I find these and a good bright flashlight help to find stuff on the floor hidden by the gremlins. now misplaced tools on the other hand are not so easy to find. Need a much better way to store tools so I can tell one is missing.
You need one of these too for when the Garage Gremlin wont declock it and its right in front of you.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
i have a pen and pocket knife that ive had for years that will disaper then reaper randomly i dont even worry that thier missing anymore cause i know in a month or two they will be their.

nothing makes me crazier than looseing a tool purchaseing a new one and getting a spare to a spare so on and on i have 4 metric allen sets aghhh stupid little gremlins.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
There's an episode of the Twighlight Zone from 1985 called "A Matter of Minutes." It's based on a short story called "Yesterday was Monday" by Theodore Sturgeon.

Anyway, in the TW episode a couple wakes up and discovers a construction crew "building" the next minute of the day. Every minute must be constructed by the crew before "reality" catches up and occupies the "set" for the next minute. In that episode they explain that sometimes they make mistakes and forget to put something in that is supposed to be there. This is why you sometimes look in a drawer for your watch and can't find it only to eventually find in in the same drawer a few minutes later. The workmen simply forgot to put the watch in there for the first minute you looked.

I would imagine nuts and screws get misplaced all the time by these work crews. Thats enough explanation for me.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There's an episode of the Twighlight Zone from 1985 called "A Matter of Minutes." It's based on a short story called "Yesterday was Monday" by Theodore Sturgeon.

Anyway, in the TW episode a couple wakes up and discovers a construction crew "building" the next minute of the day. Every minute must be constructed by the crew before "reality" catches up and occupies the "set" for the next minute. In that episode they explain that sometimes they make mistakes and forget to put something in that is supposed to be there. This is why you sometimes look in a drawer for your watch and can't find it only to eventually find in in the same drawer a few minutes later. The workmen simply forgot to put the watch in there for the first minute you looked.

I would imagine nuts and screws get misplaced all the time by these work crews. Thats enough explanation for me.
In the movie industry it's called 'continuity'. They have a person on the set that watches for things like how much liquid is in a glass, or how long a cigarette is from scene to scene to make sure when they put the scenes together on film they match.

Maybe that's what happens. The 'continuity' person screws up and your tools/parts/fasteners get moved when they start to film the scene from a different angle.

I knew there had to be a better explanation that little green men who live in my garage.
Thanks, Monkey.
:)
Tom

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
ever find your cordless drill in the refridgerator ?................... I did . alcohol was not involved ... I tore my shop apart for an hour , gremlins ,yep, its actually easy to" hide your own easter eggs" an not even realize your doing it .
Gary

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I don't care what all the studies say, what I smoked in the 70's and early 80's didn't affect my short term memory one bit. There really is a gremlin hiding things from me, I've seen him.

Last edited: