Micargi Puma 3.0 GTS / Lifan 125cc bicycle -> motorcycle build

GoldenMotor.com

appeli

Feb 5, 2011
MD
Just finished enough for a test cruise around the cul-de-sac. Still to do: brakes(!), exhaust, footpegs...

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Finally a Marylander who's built a Stretch Cruiser & who motorizes with a Honda crf50/xr50 Honda Mini Trail Pitbike / dirtbike / ATV engine!

SWEET BUILD

Hope you can make to this years East Coast Motorized Bicycle Rally at Cape Henlopen State Park / Rehobeth Beach Delaware!

You really should consider Bicycle-engines.com heavy duty dual drive rear wheel, as you are sure to destroy that rear wheel with the rag joint sprocket.

BTW, what part of Maryland are you in? PM me if you like!

Congrats on your build, and please be gentle with the throttle or you could seriously injure yourself or others.

Peace Crazy Horse..shft.

appeli

Feb 5, 2011
MD
Thanks guys... still working on it. @CH: near Columbia.
Lots of helpful info on this site got me interested and provided ideas/hints.

Today I discovered the damage from forgetting to thread-lock the rear-wheel sprocket... nothing permanent except an hour or two wasted from not doing it right the first time.

It's true these motors have BIG power... I'm used to the underpowered 50cc 2cycles but this one is frightening in comparison! No problem with short hillclimbing in 2nd gear!

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Thanks guys... still working on it. @CH: near Columbia.
Lots of helpful info on this site got me interested and provided ideas/hints.

Today I discovered the damage from forgetting to thread-lock the rear-wheel sprocket... nothing permanent except an hour or two wasted from not doing it right the first time.

It's true these motors have BIG power... I'm used to the underpowered 50cc 2cycles but this one is frightening in comparison! No problem with short hillclimbing in 2nd gear!
Cool I'm heading up to Clarksville shortly to see a Adult sized Schwinn Stingray OCC Chopper.

We can easily meet up when the weather is nicer!

Peace.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
appeli, I forgot to ask if you could post more information about your build.

If you'd like call it a build / parts list of who, what, where, and why.

Where'd you purchase your bike online?

What parts you've used to build this Stretch Cruiser, engine info, jackshaft info, etc etc etc... this build will inspire many others.

Here's Graucho's build list for his Chopper, maybe share some info on your build as he's done. [/I][/B]

Quote Graucho"
Re: Fat Tire Bicycle Chopper
When I see other peoples builds I always ask myself...."self" where did he get that item? Well, i'm not going to leave anybody out there hang'in with that question. I hope this helps someone if they need a similar part that I have used on my bike.
End Quote"

Here's the Link to his build list:
Click here: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=6778

Peace Crazy Horse. .shft.

appeli

Feb 5, 2011
MD
OK here's (most of) the parts list:
1. Micargi Puma GTS 3.0: 2wheelbikes.com
2. Lifan 125cc motor: t-motorsports.com
3. Intake Head Adaptor: hooperimports.com
4. Motor mount (skidplate)/ exhaust/ air filter: pccmotor.com
5. "Gas tank": monsterscooterparts.com
6. Micargi-compatible rear-wheel sprocket: piratecycles1.com
7. jackshaft and sprockets: bmikarts.com
8. chain/cables/etc: mfgsupply.com

Just about everything else was bought from Home Depot: steel for custom engine mounting bracket (just hacksaw/file/drill), mounting hardware, etc...

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
7. jackshaft and sprockets: bmikarts.com

Just about everything else was bought from Home Depot: steel for custom engine mounting bracket (just hacksaw/file/drill), mounting hardware, etc...
appeli, nice build list you might have helped another forum member out showing this build list so they too can start a Stretch Cruiser build inspired by your build!

I think I mentioned the dual drive rear wheel from Bicycle Engines, Motorized Bicycles, Bicycle Motors, Motored Bikes: 2-Stroke & 4-Stroke Kits! it also has a band brake which with some work can be modified into a rear disc brake setup.

Here's the link below:
Click here: 26" HD Rim W/44T Freewheel and Brake - $129.99

If you will be adding the pedals to keep this as a motor-assisted bicycle you might want to read the thread started by forum member " civlized "
as he has kept his pedals & he is using the dual drive rear wheel from bicycle-engines.com.

Here's the link to his thread below:
Click here: http://motorbicycling.com/f40/atv-50cc-full-auto-stretch-13417.html

If you want to see another members build with pedals still functional see forum member " i-paint's " Stretch Cruiser build. See link below:
Click here: http://motorbicycling.com/f40/stretch-frame-loncin-110cc-engine-61mph-19007.html

Here's a link for others considering motorizing with a 4-stroke Honda crf50 engine or the Chinese cloned 4-stroke Honda crf50 Horizontal Pitbike / Dirtbike / Atv engine, just remember these engines really only work / fit on Stretch Cruisers or Schwinn Stingray OCC Chopper & XL-Adult Sized Choppers, like those available from many online retailers like Choppersus aka CyclesUS. See link below for in depth info about the above engine used by appeli.
http://motorbicycling.com/f37/alternate-4-stroke-engine-list-19630.html

Keep us informed of your progress on your Stretch Cruiser build appeli.

Peace Crazy Horse!
.shft.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
7. jackshaft and sprockets: BMI Karts & Supplies : Go Karts Parts : Racing Go Kart Parts : Engines : Frames : Tires : Versailles, Ohio : USA : Indoor Track : Tips : Chassis : Kits : GoKart : Dirt Track : Yerf Dog : Manco : Comet : Torque

Beautiful buid ! Can u tell me where did u get the parts for the J shaft?

2lazy2pedal, please do look closely at appeli's post #11 see Item #7 in his Build list / parts list!
Jackshafts from BMI Karts & Supplies : Go Karts Parts : Racing Go Kart Parts : Engines : Frames : Tires : Versailles, Ohio : USA : Indoor Track : Tips : Chassis : Kits : GoKart : Dirt Track : Yerf Dog : Manco : Comet : Torque

or see graucho's thread / post Fat Tire Chopper build Post #34 where he also list's Jackshafts from BMI Karts & Supplies : Go Karts Parts : Racing Go Kart Parts : Engines : Frames : Tires : Versailles, Ohio : USA : Indoor Track : Tips : Chassis : Kits : GoKart : Dirt Track : Yerf Dog : Manco : Comet : Torque,

Here's Graucho's build list for his Chopper!
Quote Graucho"
Re: Fat Tire Bicycle Chopper
When I see other peoples builds I always ask myself...."self" where did he get that item? Well, i'm not going to leave anybody out there hang'in with that question. I hope this helps someone if they need a similar part that I have used on my bike.
End Quote"

Here's the Link to his build list:
Click here: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=6778

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I LOVE this build, love it love it love it. Great work! If I build another gas bike, I am thinking something like this is in order. I love the way the Lifan fits in the frame. I would probably try to keep the pedals (at least attempting to look legal-ish around here) and go with a jockey style shifter.

With a build like that, I would be tempted to go with moped hubs/wheels and try and beg the DMV to let me register it as a moped.

TRU_Growth

Jan 27, 2013
South Carolina
Hi there. Im looking to find a really GOOD stretch/ Limo lowrider to moterize and customize. I was about to buy a "Micargi", but read they are really cheaply made bikes with alot of problems. I live in Charleston SC, and havent had much success on craigslist. What I want is a build that is a lowrider with a 4 strokeinternal mount engine. I was looking at the engine: Lifan 125cc Motor Dirt Bike Engine 4 UP. Here is the link:http://www.pccmotor.com/lifan-125cc-motor-eng.html
I was also going to upgrade the tires to: 24" inch X 4.25" inch: WHEEL with Disc Hub / TIRE / TUBE & NEW 20 TOOTH FREEWHEEL
Heres the link for that as well:http://www.pedalchopper.com/supersiz...-rr-wheel-kit/

Here is also a picture of a a simualar bicicle I was looking at on craigslist but no one responded.

Really any similar lowrider stretch byciclewould be nice. That is what I need to start with but have no idea who to buy from. Even some custom shops would be nice as long as they are not ridiculous with the price, but I know of none that are local.

Please HELP!

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I LOVE this build, love it love it love it. Great work! If I build another gas bike, I am thinking something like this is in order. I love the way the Lifan fits in the frame. I would probably try to keep the pedals (at least attempting to look legal-ish around here) and go with a jockey style shifter.

With a build like that, I would be tempted to go with moped hubs/wheels and try and beg the DMV to let me register it as a moped.
Use enough of the original moped to register its VIN and forget the begging, it won't get you anywhere at the DMV.