Dremel tool suggestions

GoldenMotor.com

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
o i have a off brand dremml and all the stones and sandpaper bits pretty much crumble when applied to metal any one have suggestions for a quality kit i looked at lowes and home depot but they were very expensive cost more than a dremil itself i would like to find a cheaper cost but better quality

shipping to alaska 99503 or 99524

Sidecar

May 28, 2010
Tn.
I would try Harbor Freight. Their regular sandpaper is okay by me, not sure about their powered stuff.

Sidecar

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I have the Black and Decker RTX from walmart, it works great and for $30 it was exactly what I needed. I did also pick up the Dremel attachment/bit kit for $20. The kit was a perfect match, I have never used the bits that came with the tool. But the tool works awesome, and the dremel bits are great.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
sound like you got lucky my current bit are so crappy iys as if they are made of clay or dried clupms of sand i think anything will be a improvment but they are so darn expensive i dont have the cash right now

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Buying bit kits is FAR cheaper than individual bits & these Dremel sets are about the least expensive I've found @ about $11 - tho there's the bigger "general purpose" set for about $20, you'll get a far better selection of stuff you'll actually use if ya buy smaller sets with exactly whatcha want in them... I doubt any of us will be engraving our bikes anytime soon lol;

Dremel 687-01 52-Piece General Purpose Rotary Tool Accessory Kit
Dremel 688-01 69 Piece Rotary Tool Cut-Off Wheel Set
Dremel 684-01 20-Piece Clean & Polish Rotary Tool Accessory Kit
Dremel 686-01 Sanding Grinding Kit
Dremel 687-01 52-Piece General Purpose Rotary Tool Accessory Kit

I will say it's a commonplace error for people to try and use a Dremel incorrectly & thus have problems, it's a tiny precision tool (actually for detailing usually far smaller than what we ask of 'em) & ppl tend to bear down on it far too hard. Let the bit do the cutting & with little to no weight beyond that of the tool itself you'll find it actually cuts faster, the bits last far longer & ya end up with a better end result. Yer somewhat limited if you've not a variable speed Dremel as bit RPM can also make a world of difference... but honestly another common misconception is that the bits are supposed to last - forget it lol, it's not like drill bits or w/e, they're completely disposable ;)

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
ill keep that in mind but impretty sure i was doing it right i really cant describe how cheap the bits were the wholw set cost like 20 bucks with off brand dremel tool

doctorscoot

Oct 14, 2010
I have a "McCulloch" that I bought a few years ago at Big Lots. It only has 6 speed settings, but as Fulltimer said, "let the tool do what is was designed to do."

The cutting discs will do just that! I've had to cut bits off of some small wrenches to make them fit- and the cutting wheels do that nicely! But ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES, and use something to hold that piece you are working on...I have some cheap locking-grip pliers that work well for this. And anything bigger, I use my "work-mate" clone from Harbor Freight.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
thanks barely awake after seeing those links i realized that they are just an expensive tool they have the same kits at lowes her for about 3 dollars more i just thought it might be better priced online but with shippinjg its either the same or more

those stones sanding paper and polishing kit could have really came in handy when i made a homemade ring out of a stainless steel nut that took a while all that filing and sanding till i could use a polishing compound to finish it off

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The fiber reinforced cut-off wheels for the Dremel... yea, those can get a lil pricey...

...but I'm soooo addicted to 'em *sobs* V.V

;)

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
The fiber reinforced cut-off wheels for the Dremel... yea, those can get a lil pricey...

...but I'm soooo addicted to 'em *sobs* V.V

;)
A little over 5 Bucks a pack at Wally World, I use them all the time, even when I probably should not.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have had a couple dremel tools, one black & decker, all used. After loosing tools in a fire I bought one online which appears to be the one sold by Harbor Freight. It is variable speed and also has the flexible sharft which you can use or not use. I like it a lot. I also have used HF's diamond cut off wheels and they are fine. They also have larger sized reinforced cut off wheels which are nice.
SB

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
I have seen that the Dremel brand bits usually work pretty well, and many times the generic ones are made so poorly they're not worth carrying off for free. You need to try one or two to see if they're a bargain or not.

I never had the digital-speed-controlled Dremel but I do have the next-one-down (XPR-400). I prefer the constantly-variable speed ones, and the speed controllers on the cheaper ones aren't nearly as nice as the 2nd-tier one.

------

By the by, I recently replaced the OEM bearings in my Dremel with some hybrid-ceramic bearings.
The results are mixed: a higher "low" speed and a lower "high" speed, but I made a couple errors that (I believe) degraded the motor's balance. You need a lathe and a milling machine to do it. There is a thread here discussing it-
The Something Awful Forums
~

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Gez you guys actualy use stones for material removal? On stuff that isent hard as glass?
Last time I used a stone was to sharpen some knives.
Buy some carbide burrs.. $10~20 EACH, but WELL worth the money, they EAT steel about 5x faster then stones, And I have never managed to wear one out.. I have snaped a few, but only doing small holes where it takes off doing orbits around the inside of the hole.. My friend somehow managed to RUIN the tip of my cylinder carbide burr by jaming it as hard as he could into something.. or droping it *shrugs*

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
The problem I have had with carbide bits in a Dremel-style tool is that if you use them to grind metal, they shave off tiny splinters of metal and throw them all over you, where they get stuck in your skin and itch & sting like fiberglass.
~

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
*removes tiny metal splinter from toe* Uhh, OK so I see your point :) Sometimes yea its very bad. gotta do it outside and idealy direct the swaff away from you.. can take more work walking around the part to do it, but worth it. But the speed they work... wayyy quicker to use carbide then stones :)

Also works about 100x better on softer things like aluminum. Porting an intake/exhaust takes me less time then.. making a new gasket :)

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
I do most of my port matching with the micro pencil die grinder that I got at princess auto, While it does not have a lot of power, you don't need much really, Especialy with a small carbide burr.. its wayy easyer to hold and manuver close to the tip then a dremel