Is my fork not removable?

GoldenMotor.com

chad223

Sep 20, 2010
NC
I'm trying to take my bike apart so it will be easier to sand down and paint. It looks like the fork was slid on, screwed in, and then they mashed the top around to hold the handlebars. Can you guys tell if there's another way to take it off?

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

MotorNut123

Aug 31, 2010
New York
There should be a bolt on the stem. You take that bolt out and then there should be bolts on the side of he stem. Take them out also. Then the bars and stem should slide right off. Then all you do is unscrew the headset assembley that holds the forks in.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
There is a wedged piece inside the fork that col-orates with holding the handle bar stem. Put the long bolt you just took out back on. Do not tighten it. Thread it in a ways then give it a firm tap on the bolt head. What this will do is un wedge the piece in the fork that's is not letting you take the handle bar stem apart from the fork.

Take care not to mushroom or disfigure the bolt head put a piece of wood between it and the hammer . The rest will make since after that. cheers.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
your stem has a wedge nut on the end of the bolt that you took out. when you tighten that bolt, it pulls the wedge up against the fork tube so they stay together.

thread that bolt back in a few turns and smack it with a hammer. this will drive the wedge down and the stem will come right out.

then take the headset off and remove the fork.

(edit) i type slower in the mornings...

YoungRatRod

Oct 19, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
hey I have the same stem, but it seems like that bolt was sheared off or broken in some way, is there anyother way to get the stem off? hacksaw? :(

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yodar, in addition to stem length, the diameter of it is also a factor.
...and I don't think they provided that dimension in the linked page of the fork.
Best
rc

...how do i know?
I got a flock of suspension forks I can NOT use on my present frame!
figgers...

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
hey I have the same stem, but it seems like that bolt was sheared off or broken in some way, is there anyother way to get the stem off? hacksaw? :(
if the bolt was sheared off, you can use a punch or an old screwdriver, stick it in the hole and whack it down with a hammer. then the stem should come out. if it's rusty, pour some oil into the hole first.

DO NOT ride the bike if the top of your stem bolt is sheared off. one good bump and it could dislodge the wedge, and your bars will come loose, you won't be able to turn, and you'll crash.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
if you can't get the stem out, cut it as high as you can above the headset nut. that way you can take the fork out with the busted stem inside, and probably get it out with a vice, hammer, etc, without wrecking the fork.

i've never had a stem that wouldn't come off, and i've had bikes where they've been rusted in for 80 years (seriously.) take your time, figure it out, or bring it to a bike shop.

if you can get everything apart without ruining it, a new stem bolt's like 5 bucks.