lots o mods

GoldenMotor.com

builder bob

Oct 7, 2012
MA
got a pair of front shocks to use! still don't have a welder though, no one has bough any of the r/c stuff I have and the guy with the welders doesn't pick up his phone :(

builder bob

Oct 7, 2012
MA
finally got some one to respond to me about a welder from craigslist! it's a 130amp welder mig or flux core welder. I'm going to go look at it this week.

I also got a pair of cheap front suspension off my dad's old mountain bike that I can use.

I think that I won't try and use a 7 speed internal hub in the rear weel to connect the engine to because I can't find any used and new they're $140. it'd be another $100 at least to have the bike shop put it in a rim and use oversized spokes. i'm just going to get a clamp on sprocket adapter machined. how many teath should it have? I weigh 135 lbs and I have a bunch of hills but I can also still use the pedals so the engine doesn't have to do as much.

builder bob

Oct 7, 2012
MA
Thanks! I really hope it works out. I hopefully will be able to get a bunch of parts next weekend.

Do you know if I have to keep the pedals because I've read over the registration requirements a bunch of times and every time I reed it I think a different thing.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
Thanks! I really hope it works out. I hopefully will be able to get a bunch of parts next weekend.

Do you know if I have to keep the pedals because I've read over the registration requirements a bunch of times and every time I reed it I think a different thing.
They have changed the wording so it looks like you don't have to have the pedals to assist you. Which makes the law apply to scooters. Your ride has to fit the following 3 requirements to get registered:
1. Has a cylinder capacity of no more than fifty (50) cubic centimeters (cc)
2. Has an automatic transmission
3. Is capable of a maximum speed of not more than 30 m.p.h

I always refer to my engine as being a 49.5cc when is really supposedly 66cc. (I don't believe that for a minute.)

I refer to my clutch as an "engager" and not a clutch. When you say clutch people think "gears" and these bikes have one, unless you have a jack shaft kit. essentially the clutch engages the engine to work with the gears, there is no shifting involved. See what I did there? I made up my own story that works withthe law.

You'll notice that the first page of the registration form says a motor assisted bicycle can only got 25mph, stick with that, if anyone asks you how fast it can go, say 25. The woman at the RMV did ask me how fast it would go, I stuck to 25 even though I can probably eek 30- 35mph at WOT going downhill with a stiff breeze behind me.

Here is the thing, mopeds have pedals and bikes have pedals. You are going to want the pedals on this thing, even if you get a tag a cop can pull you over.

The key to registering a motor assisted bicycle in MA is to have the forms all filled out in advance and be ready with your money. Read this thread in the law section for how to do it. I have been successful now 3 times, and one of my builds was a 33cc Ryobi weedwacker bike. Good luck on your build!

Last edited:

builder bob

Oct 7, 2012
MA
ok thanks for clearing that up for me.

got another bike and choped that one up, i've nearly finished figuring out where all the parts will go and i will order abunch of welding stuff on friday.

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
buba here

go to it builder bob --- isn't fun chopping bikes to pieces???!!!!
i've been a real slaughter house at my place

watch the angle of your fork not too far or your steering will be adversely effected

also you can bend the rear triangle by hand to line up for your splice or stretch just bear down on it while on a flat surface

have fun keep the good gloves and full face shield on at all times cutting, grinding, sleeping

oh yeah, it is hard to sleep when you chop bikes toooo many ideas for the present and future ones to butcher

builder bob

Oct 7, 2012
MA
Haha, it's defininatly fun to chop up bikes but i don't know about putting them back together lol. How should i attach the two tubes on the top/bottom of the triangles that hold the back wheel to the single tube of the frame?

Sadly my welding stuff won't be in until the 15th and i'll be away for a couple weeks in Oregon so i'll only have a couple days to work on the bike before school starts. Hopefully i'll get most everything ordered before i leave though so that i'll be all ready to go by the time i get back.

builder bob

Oct 7, 2012
MA
i've been having trouble with my welder which is causing my welds to be low quality but i should be able to get this bike done soon because i now have almost all the parts i need!

builder bob

Oct 7, 2012
MA
Getting better at welding!

I've ordered a shimano nexus inter 7 hub to use in the back wheel. when i get it i'm going to get it put in an old rim i have with 12 or 11 gauge spokes. Would 11 gauge even be necessary?

builder bob

Oct 7, 2012
MA
Got a Shimano Nexus Inter 7! This thing is sick! A couple more practice welds and I'll start on this bike finally!

builder bob

Oct 7, 2012
MA
Haven't been able to weld the frame yet but I've been getting some stuff done at least. I figured out that i don't need 11 gauge spokes (i think) because a professional cyclist can put over 400 Nm on the wheel and my engine maxes out at 2 Nm. A regular rode bike has much thinner spokes then 11 gauge so i should be fine with the same. Going to get parts for lacing my hub into a wheel on Monday!