Look at my cylinder and tell me whats been happening...

GoldenMotor.com

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
Took the cyl off an engine that has about 600miles on it... It was leaking out the base gasket...

The head......

borntofli900/DSC06382.jpg[/IMG]

More pics next post..

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
And the cyl...

http://i599.photobucket.co[IMG]
[IMG]http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt79/borntofli900/DSC06384.jpg

By the looks of this can you tell me whats been happening inside my engine???

What parts are still useable??

Looks ugly to me, but im inexperienced in this....

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
Your engine actually looks great, however, what oil to gas ratio are you using? Judging by the large amount of oil in the cylinder, it looks like you're running a lot more than you need to.

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
50:1 amsoil after breakin...

Should I just clean everything up good, dremel out the burrs I see on the ports and plug hole... Replace the upper needle bearing and new gaskets...

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
It kinda looks like you may have pushed it too hard while it was trying to be broken in.

The rings had not yet sealed well, and there was a lot of carbon rich blow-by.

It's a chinagirl... clean up the piston real well with solvent, and the ring lands, replace base and head gaskets, scuff the cylinder in a nice pattern with some wet n dry paper, and give it a shot at breaking in again.

I think, (again), many folks expect too much performance from these little baby motors and push them too hard. Maybe try a real easy break-in???
The full synthetic may not be the best to use for break-in oil, too...

Good luck
rc

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Looks pretty decent to me. Clean it up, replace whatever needs it, and keep on ridin! I'd also say the oil mix was a bit rich from all the brown stains. As long as the cylinder is smooth, it's healthy.

goofyfoot2001

Aug 16, 2012
South Carolina
Hmmmm, mine looks like that and I just bought a new one because I suddenly lost power and a little oil leaking out the magneto where the wire come out. I figured blow by too. Top of my cylinder is pure black and you can't wipe it off. It almost looks like that rubber grip stuff you put on tools it's so thick.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
How many times did you retorque the head bolts? None? That's why it started leaking.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
actually just blew my top end...not very happy about it...but all i can do is fix it...was riding and it made a funny noise then just stopped running...no compression...after removing the head i noticed a lot of black burnt oil...too rich by far...but when i raise the piston without removing the jug and peering through the intake port i noticed that i could not see the rings at all...and yea i definitely have been running it a bit harder than i shouldve...definitely operator error...any suggestions for me? anyone? ill take every bit i can get cause like some others im very dumb when it comes to mechanical stuff...

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
BikeguyJoe just posted a break in procedure elsewhere...
It would work fine.

If you post pics we can see what you did wrong.

Me?
I feel abt thirty:1 is fine for break in, roll on, and off the throttle.
When the motor builds heat, let it cool down for a bit.
Use regular oil, not synthetic for break-in.
You can run it to WOT, just allow it to cool after that blast!
Head should be re-torqued following the first heat-up.
Chinagirl will stretch studs and bolts all over the place!!!

Lugging a two storke just as bad, or worse, than zinging it up, when brand spanking new.

If it's run in, r's won't hurt it.
Lugging a 2 smoke is always bad.

Pics would be great help!

rc

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
After cleaning up all the burrs in the ports and cleaning all the carbon off i put it back together....

I have about 250 miles since this teardown.....This is one fine running engine now...Super smooth and good throttle response... It's like riding a motorcycle now...

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
well my z80s 2stroke is dead and gone...after tearing it apart i noticed the crank arm was snapped and there were pieces of sheared metal everywhere inside the engine...so i did what any insane mofo wouldve and took a 20oz claw hammer to it and now i am blessed with busted knuckles and a pile of cast chinese crap in my driveway...do have quite a bit of salvageable parts for my next build...but as of wednesday ill be homeless and without transportation...looks like im down and out...