1997 Moongoose tetra w/ 80cc and pegs

GoldenMotor.com

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
Here's she is, my baby.. she's in front of the Seattle's Volunteer Park sculpture titled "Black Sun" by Isamu Noguchi, inspiring Sound Garden's "Black Hole Sun", if you look at/on the seat of the bike you will see the space needle( in the far background).

Here's a close-up of the guts. A little patch work done on her 'cause I had to hammer off a plate due to stripped screws (fixed and works fine). Also notice the pegs for a passenger in the back. Those are a little tricky to make for a mountain bicycle with dropouts (PM and I'll guide through). Also I didn't realize the kit came with a bracket for oversize/odd size tubes. Instead I created a few bracing parts and drilled through the frame (both front and back).

Lastly, here's me and my 14 week pregnant g/f out to enjoy the night air!

Last edited:

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
Hey diver, just thought I'd let you know that it's probably not a good idea to have you pregnant girlfriend on your bike, because I've had friends frames break after they drilled and mounted the engine

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
My question is, how strong are the pegs on the mountain bike? I mean, the design of BMX and mountain bikes - are they different?

The shop wouldn't let me buy pegs when I said I wanted some for my bike, saying the bike wouldn't be able to support it, and even if I had pegs, the bikes aren't designed to have that sort of weight on it.

Nevermind, got my answer:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070818034427AAnA9up

So I guess unless we use special strong hubs, pegs are a no go.

Last edited:

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
Yeah thanks guys..
You wanna put stable pegs on a mountain bike you do this (you won't find this anywhere on the internet except here so follow the instructions exact).

1. Cut both pegs "lips" off (the over hang part that screws on- this is a purely DIY custom job, no bike shop will do this = liability) with a hacksaw so that when they're screwed onto the solid axle they are FLUSH to the frame. Use thick heavy BMX steel pegs and not the thiner lighter aluminum or plastic variety. Those are a cheap and dangerous product in my opinion. When someone gets on -the frame will take the weight (mostly). Don't worry about ppl saying the frame wouldn't be sturdy enough of course it will be- just use common sense such as not actual biking on bumpty surfaces, jumping (with a passenger) or tricks (with yourself or god-forbid- with a passenger)
2.This is a big deal because if the pegs are not FLUSH to the frame -they'll bend the AXLE.
3. Next you'll need a threaded 3/8 inch solid axle- just go down to Loews or the ' Depot and buy the needed length and hacksaw it down to best size. Most moutains bikes etc, do not have solid axles (they have quick releases, which a much thiner and hollow) and even if they do there wouldn't be enough axle exposed to mount pegs, so you'll need to go get a long rod and make your own.
4. You cannot used a quick release axle- it would work ever. Do step #3.
5. You will need to re-build the hub. It sounds hard but it's simple- merely take off the back wheel, using 2 (usually a 10mm wrench) wrenchs - unsrew the lug nuts and remove the 6-8 loose bearings. Repeat on both sides.
Put your new solid threaded axle through the now empty hub then re-pack (just stick) the bearings back into each side of the hub WITH NEW HEAVY GREASE and screw back on the nuts flush with the hub AND re-tighten with both wrenches on each side so that it neither GRINDS OR CAN't MOVE when the wheel spins NOR will it be woobly loose (move the wheel/tire back and forth to check). It might take you a half-dozen attempted at tighten before it's right..
note: if you have bearing cartridges instead just grease up the area and put the axle through..no need to re-pack the bearings. They're already perma-packed.

6. Remount tire and screw on hacked down pegs flush onto the frame. Inside the pegs mount washers,split washers and nuts. Tighten.

All done! And don't worry about all the nay-sayers and dramatics on the internet. It's not dangerous (rides only), nor will it trash your hub or bend your axle (if you follow the above steps)

Again, Do not used these pegs for tricks- only passengers- and only lighter passengers at that (fatty takes the bus or walks).

It's all illegal, of course. If you are seen by the police or collide- it's on you! Be aware and ride safe. And also- this is the perfect 2012 machine. Motorized+1.. everyone will be using their cars to get out of the cities effectively clogging the roads.

Last edited:

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
That's very interesting indeed; may look into it in the future.

My main idea was getting a rear pannier rack that would be strong enough to have someone sit on it, with the aid of pegs for support.

I guess with some modifications, it may be possible, but definitely a project of another time...