Attn: guys that run 100 to 1

GoldenMotor.com

nogig

Mar 18, 2010
south carolina
I was kinda trolling you guys, to me just cuz its synthetic dont mean i should use less. to me the benefit of synth oil is cleaner burning and superior lubrication under heat and stress, not the ability to run less oil. just ,y .02 (directed at those runin opti 2 at 100 to 1)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o_O

Are you suggesting running an oil designed for 100:1 at say 32:1? I hope not lol, that'd lead to some serious build up issues fosho ;)

TBH I'm one of those that run 100:1, not so much for performance but precisely because I need so much less of it. Granted the synthetic aspect I respect for it's cleaner burning & superior lubrication - but if that was the only consideration I'd get a 32:1 synthetic *shrug*

But... I see yer after the Opti folks, good thing I'm runnin' the Amsoil then *whew* :p

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You 100:1 guys are like B.A.S.E. jumpers to me.

If I tried 100:1, even with the correct oil, I would worry the engine into a seizure...

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i doubted it till i tried it. i will never go back to anything else. if my bike runs out of gas 50 miles from home, i'll pedal before i put home depot brand junk in it.

it really is amazing stuff. it seriously eliminated the break-in period on the 3 engines i've used it in.

there's no way to convince you unless you try it for yourself.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Oh, I believe it, and am convinced it is fine, it's just that I must be mentally stuck in the 19th century.

I gasped out loud when I found out that a lot of old(er) golf carts run 80-100:1 mixes.

"IT'S NOT POSSIBLE!" "With the oils from the 60's?!?" Yes, fo'sho'.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Do you use a quart less of oil in your car if you use synthetic?
Yes, in every one of my two stroke cars I run it that way. (Actually if I had an old Saab I would.)

Opti 2 is not a synthetic, not that I know what it is, but I know I like it and it is all I use from day one on my two strokes. Chainsaw, too. I used to spend a lot of time breathing in the noxious fumes from a saw and appreciate the clean burning. My motors like the stuff so why shouldn't I?
SB

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
You 100:1 guys are like B.A.S.E. jumpers to me.

If I tried 100:1, even with the correct oil, I would worry the engine into a seizure...
Joe I know exactly how ya feel, particularly given the... *cough* reputation for quality these lil Chinese engines have - but the flip side of that is given the low cost of the engine & ease of rebuild I figured, did it really matter?

I don't actually recommend 100:1 to people despite the fact I'm quite well satisfied with it & that between two different bikes running it I've managed to rack up almost 10,000 miles already without the slightest problem - but I'll admit there's less of a margin for error and without knowing the condition of the engine in question, it's fuel/air settings & condition of gaskets & seals - it may be better for peace of mind to just run a good oil @ 32:1... one less thing to worry about lol

Yet for me, the main reason I got into these things was modification & experimentation, trying to squeeze the most from the least I assumed from the get-go that these motors were "disposable" toys & that it'd be inevitable consequence of my tinkerin' to blow one up...

I've still not managed to... yet ;)

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
now that i'm awake, i'll elaborate a little. after reading about it here first, instead of getting caught up in the debates like most people, i went to the Opt2 site and read all i could about it.

still not totally convinced, i called Opti2 and talked to a guy named Brad for about an hour. He's a great guy, and really goes out of his way to make you a believer, without sounding like he's selling you snake oil, and went even further out of his way to find me a local dealer, and went so far as to ask me if i wanted to be a distributor of the stuff.

so, i was pretty much convinced, but still had my doubts, and then i thought, "hey, i've got 3 motors. i'm hot-rodding this one and spinning it around backwards anyway so my warranty is instantly voided, and i still have another one in the box, so what's the worst that could happen?"

and the worst thing that happened was, now i gotta sit here and type out the virtues of Opti2 over and over, because some people will never get it and would rather have a slow, smoky, stinky bike that takes 3 tanks of goo before it runs ok, and will never run up to it's potential no matter what.

so, whatever. make jokes. use whatever oil you want. i'll even let you have the last laugh, because your bike will always come in last.

here's the 26 page thread about Opti2, so we don't have to re-hash it again:

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/100-1-mix-9850.html

i also want to add, for what it's worth, i rarely endorse any product, but when i find something i believe in, i'll do whatever i can to spread the word.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Apples and oranges here.

You need whatever amount of oil your car requires, whether it's 4 or 40 qts, for cooling not lubrication. Believe it or not most car's oil pickups are designed to not suck air and keep oil pressure with as little as one qt of oil in the pan.

Your analogy would be more correct in asking if people running their 2 cycle oil at 100:1 were also running their cars on synthetic and letting the oil changes go for 12,000 miles. My answer to that would be yes. My brother would be no, he goes 24k between oil changes and has done so for over 150k miles.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm another convert. I've been running Opti-2 @ 100:1 in my 2 strokes for a while now. I've not really kept up with the milage thing like I should but I keep a close watch on my plugs and take a peek down the plug hole often. Piston tops are free of carbon and the mufflers don't drip oil. No 2 stroke stinkys and my engines start and run as well as anyone could expect. Like Barley Awake, I don't tell people to run 100:1 oils but I have no problem passing on my success with it. Ya gotta do what ya think is right. If you're skeptical, then avoid it. If you're curious, try it. Then decide for yourself.
Tom

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
There Is A Long Thread On The 100:1 Oil.

It Has Many Happy Opti 2 User`s Posting. I Plan On Using It. Been Wrenching For 60 Years.

Running A 4 Stroke 1 Quart Low Is Ok, But If I Were Pulling A Trailer Or Such, I Would Add The Quart For The Extra Cooling Effect! The Oil Is A Medium For Transfering Heat From The Piston To The Cylinder Wall. Ron

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
Apples and oranges here.

You need whatever amount of oil your car requires, whether it's 4 or 40 qts, for cooling not lubrication. Believe it or not most car's oil pickups are designed to not suck air and keep oil pressure with as little as one qt of oil in the pan.
Awww you beat me to it. Unless it's a 2 stroke car, they are totally different. With a 4 stroke, you don't want to burn oil as it is hopefully kept seperate from the combustion chamber. On a 2 stroke, you want to burn the oil for lubrication; no valves, cams, etc so they can get away with it easier than a 4 stroke.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
I guess I'm a bit old school too, I run Amsoil sabre, they say 100:1, I run at 50:1, just can't bring myself to mix @ 100:1, just seems wrong. Besides, If 1 is good, 2 is better!!

Mac

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
I have well over a dozen builds using 100:1 on Opti-2 and each one has perfect, same as day one. These instructions on the oil/gas ratio you get with the kit were printed before 2 stroke motor oils came out. Leads to a lot of confusion and speculation as to what's best. My local mower shop guy turned me on to the Opti-2, and it's been a solid synthetic since the first buy. You can find it at any Ace Hardware.

TehInteractive

Apr 29, 2010
Wisconsin
I've read about people's engine's overheating when running 100:1 in their engines. I've also seen pictures of guys that run their engines too rich with Saber, and it's just all gross and oily inside.

In that respect, I am currently running ~50:1 in my engine with a mixture of Amsoil Saber and some Marvel Mystery Oil. I replaced 20% of my Saber with MMO as in the directions, so I'm actually running 62:1 Saber and .5 ounces of MMO per gallon to get me down to about 50:1. My hopes are that the MMO will clean out all of the crappy non-synthetic oil I was running at 32:1 during my break-in period, and also, it will clean up any potential build up that the Amsoil will produce by running it too rich, while also protecting my engine from heat.

I have to say, ever since I switched to Saber with MMO, my engine is about 40% quieter, not to mention my exhaust smells like peppermint from the MMO. Lol.

Edit: Also I have to add, I chose Saber over Opti2 because Opti2 isn't synthetic. Go to their website and read what it is. Here's a quote I pulled from Google:

"Opti-2 is NOT a synthetic. I always thought so too, until I called the company and spoke with the president himself. It is actually a parafin based product, so he said I should not refer to it as synthetic. Gets sticky sometimes with the all the types being hawked these days (eg. Semi synthetic, SUV synthetic, older engine formula, etc.)."

Last edited: