Do springer front ends actually work?

GoldenMotor.com

nolan_speed

May 31, 2010
Seattle, WA
I may be swapping my motor over to a Kona beach cruiser and I was thinking about putting a springer front end on it but I'm wondering if they actually absorb much shock or if they're just for looks. The rigid bike that I've been riding is a bit harsh so I was thinking about going to a bike with some sort of suspension. A beach cruiser with a mountain bike fork would look kind of funny so I thought a springer would look cool and could soften the bumps out a bit. It looks like the springers don't have any dampening so do you just bounce around a bunch? Will it ride any better than a rigid fork?

Thanks for the tips.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Every time I ride now and I see that spring compressing and the wheel moving in and out all I can think about is "Wow I used to have to feel that!"

kyl 46&2

Apr 12, 2010
MN
anybody know where to find a suspension fork for a 29'er mtb with a 120mm headtube at a decent price. been lookin for a couple days and the low ended price range is like 300-400. the bike its self didn't cost that much.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Springer forks work great! If you are using a fender, be sure the entire fender, including the center mount, is attached to a MOVING part of the fork. Normally the center mount would go to the bottom of the stem and the struts would attach near the drop outs, but on a springer fork, these two locations change geometry with each other as the fork flexes. This will cause the fender to break eventually and could cause big problems.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I may be swapping my motor over to a Kona beach cruiser and I was thinking about putting a springer front end on it but I'm wondering if they actually absorb much shock or if they're just for looks. The rigid bike that I've been riding is a bit harsh so I was thinking about going to a bike with some sort of suspension. A beach cruiser with a mountain bike fork would look kind of funny so I thought a springer would look cool and could soften the bumps out a bit. It looks like the springers don't have any dampening so do you just bounce around a bunch? Will it ride any better than a rigid fork?

Thanks for the tips.
....Nolan,
In a word.....YES!....I have two bikes with springer forks and one with a MNTN bike fork.....all cruisers....I'm including some snaps of the bikes....the one with the MNTN bike fork actually works better than the springers do.....doesn't look as cool but doesn't look bad either....all in alls....you'll have no blue balls !

Salty.shft.

Attachments

fat daddy

Jun 14, 2010
Wva
Hey Salty Gator I've been thinking about some springer forks myself and looking on E-Bay ect. my question is that every fork I see advertised has around 9 1/2 inch neck(thru frame),and I got a Huffy cruiser and the neck that is on the stock fork is about 6 1/2 inches. I noticed in the pic you posted that there seems to be a space between the lock nut and the bearing retainer at the top which is understandeable because the top of the locknut is 7/8 ID and the tube is 1 inch OD,so how do you keep the bearing from becoming loose.

Thanks

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Hey Salty Gator I've been thinking about some springer forks myself and looking on E-Bay ect. my question is that every fork I see advertised has around 9 1/2 inch neck(thru frame),and I got a Huffy cruiser and the neck that is on the stock fork is about 6 1/2 inches. I noticed in the pic you posted that there seems to be a space between the lock nut and the bearing retainer at the top which is understandeable because the top of the locknut is 7/8 ID and the tube is 1 inch OD,so how do you keep the bearing from becoming loose.

Thanks
What ya have to do is simply pay attention....if it becomes a tad loose....torque it back down....I think I missed an additional nut to prevent that from occurring....I'm just too lazy to tear it apart and put one on but I've not had a single issue so far...only torqued the nut down twice.....I got that springer fork from Nirve....it's one and an eighth threaded...only took me about 15 minutes to install.....made a WORLD of difference too....not only in comfort but cosmetically as well....they also come in all chrome if that's your fancy.....this bike is ridden daily anywhere from 20 to 30 miles .glad to help !

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

fat daddy

Jun 14, 2010
Wva
Thanks Salty,it's a shame that a nut couldn,t be found somewhere that didn't have the smaller size in the top of that was like the nut that came stock with the bike.Mine has a 1 inh tube and the nut is choked down to 7/8 inch at the top.

junked

May 2, 2010
Mass.
I put a springer on my old Columbia and it feels weird. Something is binding I think. It steers hard, and that makes it very tricky to ride. When I am off the bike it turns freely and no binding. I think that all changes when I get on the bike and add the weight. None of this is the fault of the springer, I just have not had time to check it out any further. Also I had to extend (weld) the tube to fit the longer steering head on my bike.

fat daddy

Jun 14, 2010
Wva
Well I guess everybody has a different problem the springer I was looking at is on fleabay,the description says the steering tube is 9 1/2 in. long,but that is from the top of the fork(where fender goes) the neck of the frame I got is only 6 1/2 in. long,since I don't know the actual measurment of the tube I'm lerry of buying,ya can,t never tell about that Tiwan crap.

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
What ya have to do is simply pay attention....if it becomes a tad loose....torque it back down....I think I missed an additional nut to prevent that from occurring....I'm just too lazy to tear it apart and put one on but I've not had a single issue so far...only torqued the nut down twice......

What about drilling the corner and safety wiring it? Or drilling right thru a flat and installing a set screw (some people call it a grub screw).

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I put a springer on my old Columbia and it feels weird. Something is binding I think. It steers hard, and that makes it very tricky to ride. When I am off the bike it turns freely and no binding. I think that all changes when I get on the bike and add the weight. None of this is the fault of the springer, I just have not had time to check it out any further. Also I had to extend (weld) the tube to fit the longer steering head on my bike.
yes they become a tad heavier in turning....that's due to them being a little further out than stock forks....you'll adapt.....I didn't need any alterations done at all when I installed mine.....just altering the way I ride.....like I said....you'll adapt.......when you sit on the bike....that's an additional 180 lbs or so....so go figure huh ?.......

Salty.shft.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
I have used springers on my last 2 bikes the first i made using John Brains springer plamns
this fork performed very well, my latest bik i went for a store bought choppersUS springer it also does a great job for what it is...

KiM