Higher RPMs through reduced rotating mass?

GoldenMotor.com

huntnfish08

Jun 21, 2008
Has anyone out there removed some material from the rod and piston. Being that its a single cylinder I would think that balance isn't a problem. Less rotating mass means quicker revving, and faster acceleration.

Has it been done yet? Did it give any noticable gain in acceleration or top speed? Noise? Vibration? Any other problems?

Thanks,
Adam

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Any single will benefit from balancing the top end with the rotating part....go for it and let us know how it works. A couple of guys here have done it I believe.

huntnfish08

Jun 21, 2008
I think I will. Seems that it should improve the acceleration some. Maybe allowing the engine to get to its powerband quicker. May help with bogging down when using a 36t sprocket?

So many things I want to try on these little engines. I would like to do one at a time to see what benefits these toys the most. Then again I'm not that patient to do one at a time. Plus two mods individually may not have any measurable impact. Together though they may make a vast improvement.

Anyone that has reduced rotating mass please chime in with your results. Good or bad.

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
Removing material to balance an engine is a great idea. However, removing material won't benefit much on top end because the port timing is already very conservative. I personally wouldn't waste the time or effort on a chinese engine.

huntnfish08

Jun 21, 2008
My time and effort are free, and I don't mind doing it. It's fun! I just want to know the performance gains.