Committing forgery: A Faux Rudge Autocycle build.

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I can't be the only person in the world annoyed that the only narrow newly manufactured engine for a bicycle is a rendering of the CG?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Question: I know the CG is a 2 stroke, but can an old Keihin downdraught off a Honda 4 stroke be fettled to work?

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Wow! that's a blast from the past, - I haven't seen one of those carburettors for ages.

I've got no direct experience of using one of these carburettors on a two stroke, but I imagine it could be done Ludwig. So long as it can pass enough air through it and it's jetted correctly it should work.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I can't be the only person in the world annoyed that the only narrow newly manufactured engine for a bicycle is a rendering of the CG?
I'd like choices especially in a narrow, light weight 4 stroke with electric (bad shoulder no pull starts for me) & 12v DC lighting AC kick would be ok too, but 2 cycle options would at least be a start. Rick C.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Cam sits behind or in front of the barrel, driven by toothed belt, electrics and auto clutch working off the camshaft as well. Very much, I'd think, like the old Cucciolo.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I have flown several inverted Rotaxes. They didn't know they were upside down and ran just fine.
I just flipped a CG I had on the shelf over and it makes a rather handsome inverted engine.
If you can fab mounts so the cylinder hangs vertically then it looks like the stock carb could be used on a short straight intake. A slight trim of the case for chain clearance and maybe flip the rotor on the mag to time it to run the other way?

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
I have flown several inverted Rotaxes. They didn't know they were upside down and ran just fine.
I just flipped a CG I had on the shelf over and it makes a rather handsome inverted engine.
If you can fab mounts so the cylinder hangs vertically then it looks like the stock carb could be used on a short straight intake. A slight trim of the case for chain clearance and maybe flip the rotor on the mag to time it to run the other way?
That's a very good point CB, two strokes don't really mind if they're upside down or not. I'm saving my pocket money to buy a CAG engine next week and I'm looking forward to having a play about,

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Provided there is no significant desaxe (offset of crank from bore centreline) it should be ok.

I was thinking more of just rotating forwards 90 degrees or so in order to keep the chain on the left side of the bike.

I suppose nobody's cut the cases and rotated just the barrel round, have they?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Provided there is no significant desaxe (offset of crank from bore centreline) it should be ok.

I was thinking more of just rotating forwards 90 degrees or so in order to keep the chain on the left side of the bike.

I suppose nobody's cut the cases and rotated just the barrel round, have they?
Even easier! There are plenty of builds with the cylinder rotated 180.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011

I've been able to find an incomplete older model ladies Raleigh with Westwood rims and a SA Dynohub on the front wheel so I'm hoping that the wheels on this old bicycle will work out fine for the faux Rudge. I still have the pair of Westwood 26x2x1 3/4 wheels I could use too, but I would really like to have that Dynohub on the faux Rudge if at all possible.

The pocket bike reduction gearbox has arrived and seeing how I've never been able to resist taking my toys apart ever since I was small I lifted the lid and had a look inside. This is the latest type gearbox with the duplex chain drive and very nice it is too with both shafts well supported on each end with ballraces. Plenty of very sticky grease on everything too which is the most important thing I wanted to check.
Now my mind is turning over on what else such a handy wee reduction drive could be used on.

I had a review of the earlier pages of this thread and I'm coming around to the view that Truckd has a point. The original idea I had for this bike is a good one so I'm going to have a look at it again. There are a couple of parts I'm going to need to take to the engineer chaps down the end of the street for them to have a look at because I can't do wot's needed so I'll get back to all of you about that later.

Purchasing a CAG engine is still on the agenda, but it might end up getting used on one of my motorised attachment projects instead.

Attachments

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Thanks truckd :)

I was having a dig about looking for some replacement bits for my Raleigh Campus when I spied my Rudge sitting all neglected in the corner. So I took it out into the light of day and mocked up all its missing bits back onto it again.
This is the result of that exercise and it will be pretty much how I'm going to proceed with this project from now on.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It looks like there might be a clash of foot and throttle cable when getting on and off. Possible cure, use a cut down throttle assembly to run the cable round after coming up from below the carb? Just a thought.