v belt drive gearing

GoldenMotor.com

ragdolldude

May 6, 2016
Mira Loma, CA
Just introduced myself the other day. I noted I was getting a v-plex clutch that is NOS. Idle, and the clutch doesn't operate. Increase rpm and two tapered sides of pulley pull together increasing diameter of pulley. Goes from around 1 1/8" up to about 2 1/4" diameter pulley. I don't want to use a jackshaft, and was wondering what size sheave to use on rear 26" tire. I plan on using a Honda Gx50 engine, likely on a cruiser frame, mid frame mount. I initially thought the 15 inch whizzer sheave would work, but others have suggested a 24 inch narrow bike rim as a sheave, bolted with brackets to rear wheel. I assume someone has already done this and was hoping to benefit from your experience, instead of tying different sheaves. Thanks

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Use a 26" skinny rim for your sheave, but you'll have to widen the frame in the back... By cutting and welding. This will give a 13:1 ratio in top gear.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Use a 26" skinny rim for your sheave, but you'll have to widen the frame in the back... By cutting and welding. This will give a 13:1 ratio in top gear.
Yes that might be better yet, and easier to mount straight tabs. And with the high rev Honda would give you a good top speed.................Curt