laid / layed back seat post

GoldenMotor.com

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
At 6'4 and 220, a cruiser is a tight fit. All I can say is wow! If you feel a little claustrophobic, buy / make a laid back post! I'm not trying to push a builders particular product but if you want his info PM me. Super quality (solid metal, not tube made from 1" to fit 7/8 clamp at 70 degrees), very happy.
P.S,
Will post contact info if mods approve.
Toothy
....sorry for bad pic.

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I agree about teh laid back seat posts and I mad my own as well by mitre cutting mine and welding it back together, then I could feel it flexing when 220 pounds of me was riding on it so I can definitely agree on using a solid post... I ended up taking mine back off to weld a brace under the bend which fixed the flexing problem, but the next one I make will definitely be solid...
I really like the way yours looks tho since there's no need for any bracing ... did you make it on your own or did you buy it from that guy who mekes these?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Nice build, Toothy.

Our moderator, Dan, once described riding a cruiser without a lay-back seat post as feeling like he was doing 'The Chicken Dance'. I agree. Even if you're not six foot plus many cruiser frames are a little short in the crotch and the ride/comfort will be greatly improved by getting that saddle aft a few inches.

A solid post is the way to go, or a gusseted tubular one. There have been many reports of the cheaper tubular posts bending. One I know of dropped the guy right onto his rear wheel at speed. Not a pretty thought.

Tom

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Nice build, Toothy.

Our moderator, Dan, once described riding a cruiser without a lay-back seat post as feeling like he was doing 'The Chicken Dance'. I agree. Even if you're not six foot plus many cruiser frames are a little short in the crotch and the ride/comfort will be greatly improved by getting that saddle aft a few inches.

A solid post is the way to go, or a gusseted tubular one. There have been many reports of the cheaper tubular posts bending. One I know of dropped the guy right onto his rear wheel at speed. Not a pretty thought.

Tom
All I can say is OUCH!!!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Nice build, Toothy.

Tom
The pain from an event like that could be completely Nuts.......lol! Not to mention a ripped and ruined pair of trousers. ...

I hwve been planning to make me a laid back post for the Huffy Cruiser which is the worst I've seen for being on the short coupled side, its better with the taller ape bars I installed a couple weeks ago but seat still needs to move back about 3" to make the bike fit right, im only 5' 10" and currently around 215lbs and its cramped for me to ride.

And on topic now.... Toothy that is a nice looking seat post, does the seat try to rotate on that post?

That has always been my concern on that type vs the kind that has a steel plate welded to the post and then another stob for the seat to mount on 3-4" back on the plate steel.

And again nice looking bike Toothey

Map

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
The seat has stayed put so far. I'm very happy with the set-up. The seat on the other hand is junk. I may contact the seller.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I think I've seen that seller in here before and I'll contact him about making me a solid post, I could make my own over here but I also like to support other members who build good stuff & save me a little time and welding gas, and it's definitely worth buying.

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
I think I've seen that seller in here before and I'll contact him about making me a solid post, I could make my own over here but I also like to support other members who build good stuff & save me a little time and welding gas, and it's definitely worth buying.
Right on.....worth it for sure. Played around with the brooks look alike seat. What junk. I got rid of most of it and used an existing seat base that was solid. Much better feel.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Yup, love Inked's posts. I have had two, a 90 degree on my gas bike:

And now an 80 degree on my electric:

No issues with the slipping, definitely not bending, and could not ask for a better value.

streak

May 24, 2010
San Pedro,California
Is their a web sight Inked sells his seat post on ,If you could get in contact with me I would like to order one ? My name is Mike Thank You

Last edited by a moderator: