methanol thread

GoldenMotor.com

sublunacy

Sep 12, 2013
ontario
im really pleased how my grubee 66cc runs after switching to blended fuel.
i have an arrow head running at 175 psi wich is pretty high. it didnt ping on regular gas but it was harsh and ruff w lots of vibration seemingly from the crankshaft and all over.

i have been running 25 percent methanol for few days since t weather warmed. im sold! im never going back to straight gas ever! wow.

better cruising. air/ fuel ratio is less picky. harder to flood w richness. AND SMOOTH AND QUIET. NO METALIC CLASH OF ENGINE SOUNDS.

I like the 25 percent. it compliments the STOCK CDI. I have a jaguar cdi aswell but it will probly just sit in my parts bin as the methanol wins hands down.

.duh.

sublunacy

Sep 12, 2013
ontario
paint section. 1 gallon. squeeze air out b4 closing lid.

--
requires methanol 2cycle oil from hobby store perhaps. and high compression around 150 psi should do it but stock maybe ok too.
requires carb rejet for sure.
requires a sealed gas tank aswell w check valve for sure.

sublunacy

Sep 12, 2013
ontario
absolutely something to consider. i have evolution 2 cycle oil that is made for meth/gas.

you can also expect a cleaner engine however. i am not babying mine/ im curious to see if any issues come up. 25 percent not 85 percent.... big difference!

im keeping my fingers crossed cause THE ENGINE LOVES IT!
L8R

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
It's 99-100% humidity here, at the moment, so I'm avoiding any alcohol fuels.
But will have to try it when things dry out a little.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Alcohol has a natural affinity for water. You need to be vigilant to keep your containers tightly sealed and expect some condensation to form in your tank and fuel system if allowed to sit for any length of time. The higher the alcohol content, the more water that you'll accumulate over a given period.

Tom

sublunacy

Sep 12, 2013
ontario
water being a concern is mostly about seperation of blend. agitation and oil choice will stop that. secondly water will be burned and could be beneficial to efficiency perhaps as im told but the jury is still out on that one...

crossing fingers
i think an addition of 10 percent diesel is good too but i dont want to start a fuel war...i have not tried it but im understanding it is mostly for the mild lubrication. must be kept to BELOW 10 PERCENT.

Last edited:

sublunacy

Sep 12, 2013
ontario
It's 99-100% humidity here, at the moment, so I'm avoiding any alcohol fuels.
But will have to try it when things dry out a little.
make a humidity filter w a film canister and silica. drill hole a little smaller and ram hose in the hole for tight fit. i have a dirtbike checkvalve that is raised up so it stays dry. done

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
While I'm not real hip on the chemistry of alcohol, I have had some experience with full methanol race engines back in my flattrack days.
Alcohol actually has less energy than gasoline and the power advantage comes from burning more fuel volume with a much richer charge. Alcohol carbs flow huge amounts of fuel compared to gasoline. I remember seeing ice on the intake and carb body after hard running simply from evaporation of the fuel during full throttle operation. There was a huge gain in mixture density from the cooling effect of the alcohol atomizing in the venturi. Unless your mix has sufficient alcohol to allow significantly richer jetting, it's just another additive. I'm sure it has substantial effect on detonation and I would suggest caution running very much in a normal gas engine unless you KNOW what you are doing.
Busted and melted parts can result quickly when messing with your fuels.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
The drag racers that use it tend to purge the system with gasoline after running the engine to prevent corrosion. Maniac's 100% correct that methanol is less energy dense than gasoline and requires richer jetting in order to achieve correct air/fuel ratios. If you look up "methanol carburetor conversion" on google it will talk about this fact, the same goes for engines running high alcohol content gasolines like E87. You can make more power with richer jetting on turbocharged, supercharged, or high compression engines with alcohol fuels due to the cooling of the intake charge effect, but you need to set the fuel mixture accordingly. You also need to use the right lubrication to compensate for the cylinder washing effect that alcohol fuels have, which can kill a two stroke, sounds like you found an oil compatible with alcohol fuel.

BTW, don't raise a topic which equates to asking a question on an open forum, and then get angry when people with knowledge or experience share what they know. If you retaliate, those people will remember you and withhold information that could benefit you in the future should you need additional assistance on a similar or different topic. Remember there is no dumb question, some answers may be untrue, BUT you can verify the validity of answers from forums and make your own decisions based on internet research. If you are proactive, you can do the research ahead of time, and most of the time your question will be answered before needing to start a topic to ask others' opinions.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I have heard of people using the first bit that comes from there still, which I took was methanol?
In there motor bike tank, and reported that it made there motor run better, I'm guessing this is only about 60ml in a couple of litres of fuel, Might just be placebo, but have heard it a few times.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Alcohol contains oxygen, which is in fuel terms an oxygenate, so it promotes more complete combustion, and that's why its used as a replacement for the carcinogenic oxygenate MTBE in gasoline in most states now, MTBE has a nasty side effect of being water soluble and ruining the water table fro drinking water when a filling station leaks.