KTM GP50 clone. Any opinions?

GoldenMotor.com

Fatandre

Dec 1, 2013
Poland
Hi Guys.
I have been doing some research on engines for my new build that you can see in the board track section.
I was wondering what are your thoughts about the thats DAX KMT clone motor.
It is 500 dollars, but you will be getting the 9 hp and so on.
Maybe you could recommend something else in that price range?

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
4 stroke?
or 2 stroke?
9 HP seems to me more than most would need on a motorized bicycle.
A good 4 stroke getting that sort of power, once set up could end up costing more.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The KTM is a race engine and makes power at high rpm. Your boardtracker will be silly fast but the engine needs to scream to make real power. Is this what you want for a vintage build?
A large four-stroke will run at a lower rpm and be more fun to pose on as well as being easier to maintain than a screaming 10,000 rpm two-stroke.
Just my opinion.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I'd be thinking 4 stroke if you can afford the time and money to get it done right.
All depends on what you want the bike to do.
I find a well built China Girl meets my needs.
The KTM would be ideal for a real race bike, though others here have some really mean 4 strokes, but $$$.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I've got s KTM50 clone on my Raven chopper and it's a great engine, it just needs to be revved high to make a lot of power, at lower revs it still makes adequate power though.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Fatandre said:
I was wondering what are your thoughts about the thats DAX KMT clone motor.
It is 500 dollars, but you will be getting the 9 hp and so
The KTM 50 do not make anything close to 9hp which is why I let them race in the 8hp capped Midrange class.
My guess would be 6 to 7 HP and they are rather peaky which does not make for a good street bike.

Hopefully we will put one on the dyno at the April 12th race.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
You clean one up right with a 21mm carby done right with pipe.. I would think ya can get 9 at sea level pretty easy.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Gotta ditch the stock clutch tho... IME with a real Morini it can be wicked. It gives much better sainity lolrotfl With a Tomor clutch one can actually tame the critter.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
If you have it geared right, the stock clutch is fine for a top speed of about 47 mph and can standing start, if you want to overgear it the clutch will slip and make too much heat. I went about 65 mph with the stock clutch but it didn't like repeated standing starts.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I've not ordered from this vendor, nor do I know much about the KTM50 clones in particular - however as they're a viable 50cc motor I'd like to give one a shot and have searched for both reasonable pricing & validated preformance perimeters... while the latter still questionable (KTM not forthcoming & advertisers being advertisers lol) I've found a potential former, with a decent reputation & a willingness to sell single units: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/KTM50-AIR-ENGINE/602744_627840002.html

Hope it helps some, I'm up to me eyeballs in "roundtoit" projects so it's unlikely I'll be gettin' one anytime soon :(

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
23cc wow. Wounder if they all are or it is a miss type? Was under the impression that little motor was 49cc-ish?

sublunacy

Sep 12, 2013
ontario
they are all 30 pound motors with 2-3 speeds and friction clutch. That is why im doing 19mm carbs and reeds on ht motors. Mine is unique and sure to please. i like the updated gt2a and gt5a for taking reeds and making looong torque and great midrange. my 2 cents

Fatandre

Dec 1, 2013
Poland
Back to this.
I am not ready to buy a engine and would like to confirm my question.
Should I go for this KTM or tune a HT?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/KTM50-AIR-ENGINE/602744_627840002.html
Have you ordered from here?
Its a good deal for me considering shipping and so on.
I have also liked Freds engines and maybe someone could compare those two?

Also I like the Morini one. Which one would you recommend from them?

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
I have a KTM clone that I race and ride on the street. Mine has a shift kit and I would say they are pretty loud for the street if you run them a single speed since its a centrifugal clutch and they have to slip to get up to speed. But when you use a shift kit you have to set the clutch rpm real low and they will pull away from a stop even just cracking the throttle a little because of the lower gearing in 1st &2nd gears instead of the full throttle screaming all the time. In a race the noise isn't a problem. But the shifting really helps the standing starts.....lol