Chain

GoldenMotor.com

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Got the ole girl out , and ran for a short one today a couple times between tweaking etc. Having a chain problem. Adjust and seems not to be lose on the upper side. Tight on bottom. Think it needs a link removed? Stock out of the box. Anyway let me have your input on this ,,,,would love it. Beautiful here in Ga. Any bike builders here get in touch. Thanks and will check later. gphil

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Are you running it with atensioner/

it could need to be adjusted in the back drop-outs, or a link removed or half-link installed-

And sometimes little things like that creep up if the torque of the motor chain pulls the engine to the side-

so check your motor allignment and motor mounts as well.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The chain under load, pulling the bike, will be tight on the top run and looser on the bottom run. That's why, if you're using a tensioner, it needs to be on the bottom chain run.

You're looking for 1/2 to 3/4" slack in the chain. To measure this, roll the bike forward with the clutch engaged, against the compression stroke. The top chain run will go slack. That's where you measure the slack. Adjust your tensioner, or move the rear wheel toward the rear in the dropouts until you get that 1/2 to 3/4"

Chains that are too loose or too tight can cause problems especially if your chain alignment is off.
Make sure your rear sprocket is centered on the hub so there is no up/down movement which will loosen then tighten the chain. The sprocket MUST be concentric with the rear hub.
If you're using the kit supplied #415 chain you might want to replace it with an industrial grade #41 chain. They are usually available at industrial supply outlets such as Grainger, Tractor Supply and even some Ace Hardwares.

Tom

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Thanks Tom, good info there. Yes made sure all was straight. The tensioner is all the way up or now close to full up on bottom of chain. I have thrown the chain once on rear. Tensioner slipped. I will check the dropouts they have a lot of space in rear and need repositioned to the rear. These things are maintenance hogs but that is what its all about. Just want to stay safe. Thanks. gphil