Cleaning my bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
My bike is shooting gas everywhere from the exhaust pipe and excess gas out the float bowl and its going everywhere on my frame and engine.

1. Engine: Is it ok to clean up the engine with engine degreaser? Will this effect the paint on the engine?

Frame: When i use a rag to clean premix off the frame it just smears it. How can i get rid of the gas stains without damaging the paint? I wanna keep my bike looking new.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Take it to a spray car wash and $2 your bikes looking new. Secret to a power wash is to hold it at least 2ft away and use sweeping motions, never hold it in 1 spot for long it can damage paint and clear coat.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
A power spray wash can also easily blast water behind bearing seals as well as gaskets, ect. Heeding bandito's rules does make this less likely, but none the less be forewarned!
I have rebuilt many Harley wheel hubs that had bearing failure because someone thought it would be a good idea to blast the grease off of their bike at a car wash, not knowing or paying attention to this little detail. I have also drained water/ oil soup out of primary drive systems due to water being blasted past the gasket between the inner case and outer cover. Bike comes in for a leaky gasket and guess what/ why?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I do the car wash thing too Bandito. I don't pull the trigger (full blast) except on the wheels and my welds for the exhaust. LOL, just learning and it shows. Was worried about just that GearNut. Try to breeze past engine and any thing with seals or bearings.

Dripping out the exhaust on a new 2 stroke is normal but should not be a whole lot.

Just asking here, is your bowl tight and is it coming out from where it seats to the carb? Or over flowing from the air filter, Social?