Gas prices are going up

GoldenMotor.com

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
Here in canada, Gas prices went up to $2 a liter in 2000 or so, Result? People started buying hibrids and small cars etc.
And for some magic reason, just after people started seriously looking at hybrids and smaller cars, The gas price droped back down to $1~ a liter again! Just by magic.. Or maybe they wanted everyone to go back to SUV's, And everyone did...
Gas has never came close to 2 $ a l, link pls

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Gas has never came close to 2 $ a l, link pls
maybe not in america but out in britain i think that's a very real possibility, different economies and less favorable trading arrangements make a big price difference sometimes.

@biknut back in 08 i think it was we broke that threshold by a pretty good margin here in MA

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
In Arizona over the holiday the police wrote about 2,700 tickets for DUI's, now that's something that could effect the sale of motorbikes.
lol too funny actually no its not :( that's what brought me here. but now im hooked!!! i get license back in 2 months and will deff still be on my bike when the weathers nice, its just too much freaking fun!!!!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Muddybike, maybe not in the gas capital of Canada but then you don't have Green Gordie Campbell for a Premier, It was a $1.21 a liter as of 2 days ago which was the last time I was out. Down two cent a liter from the week before.
Gordie felt he was going to lead Canada in to the "Green Era" and we pay a lot of enviromental taxes no one else in the country does. Not to mention HST.

By the way the crocus are up and there is a flower on the water plants in the pond out front and the roses are leafing out. Have to cut the lawn tomorrow. Na na, na na, naaaa.

Costs money to live here in lotus land.

By the way Blackmoons is right. No links unless you want to look them up.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
After tweaking muddybike, who is freezing his eye brows off, about our fine weather I thought in fairness I should look up what gas was in 2000 here in BC which is short for Bring Cash, you will need it.

Gas in 2000 was from a low of 64.9 to a high of 80.9 liter in Vancouver. In 2008 it ran from a low of $1.07.9 up to a high of $149.9 a liter. It's 3.78 liters to a U.S. gal.

As an aside British Columbia is the most expensive place to live in Canada. A house just sold a couple of weeks ago in Vancouver that was listed I think for just over a $1,000,000. A hundred+ people lined up to see it and they had 3 offers in minutes. The winner payed over $1,600,000 for it.
Now this was not a Malibu mansion. It was a gutted out 1920's bungalow on a lot 33 ft wide and about a 100 feet deep. The buyer was most likely Chinese and they will build a house worth about the cost of the lot.
A lady across the street saw this and put her house up for sale and sold it for about the same money to one of the bidders on the first house and made $350,000 on a house that she bought last December.

There is a house in the best area in Vancouver {Point Grey} with a lot the same size and a worse house that was left to the owner by his aunt in the mid 90's. It's $2.3 million.

Welcome to Bring Cash. Average house in Calgary I think is around $450,000. Sure does cost money to be able to mow the grass at the end on January.

Steve.

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
Yeah bring cash , i hear ya i worked in the patch in ft nelson and fsj for like a decade so ya i get that.
And ya ya ya its- 10 tomorrow , but thats not a biggie, and yeah gas ant cheap here , think i paid 1.14 for premi here , but as i posted that is no where near 2 bucks a liter.
Its never came that close too 2 bucks a liter.
Yeah hongcouver is really pricey palace to live, i get that but i like where im at just fine thanks.
Yeah well hate to break it too ya but 400 k dont buy that much here regardless then again a condo sold here for 4+ mill .
K so your point was gas hit 149.9 dollars a liter ? That a typo? hmmmm
Regardless of house prices and what not , as i said gas here in canada has not hit 2 bucks a liter , so what was your point?

Btw gas and oil prices are set globally even if you think the price is too much, there is a diff country on the other side of the world that is willing to pay that much maybe more, its not greed to get the most you can for a product its well good financial sense.

And btw its -1 in hongcouver atm , hardly seems like grass growing weather , oh wait yeah bc its the capital of growing grass ;)
Yeah we had a nice chinook the last week think we hit +15 ish good enough for me

(can i get a pic of you mowing grass tomorrow?) lol had too

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I think what Black-Moons was thinking about was the cost to us per liter when compared to a U.S. gal. With the exchange it would have been well on it's way to $2.00 a U.S. quart. I'm 20 minutes from the border so we torture ourselves by comparing the price in Canadian dollars per U.S. gal compared to the U.S.cost.
No, that wasn't a typo. $1.49.9 a liter or $6.00 for 4 liters for regular. Less than a U.S. gal. Hey, we joined Gordies Green Team.

Was that -10C or F? Doesn't matter really. Cold is cold.
It's been +9 and 10C for the past few days and the endless rain makes everything grow.

Took a look and the only price I can find for premium is $1.32.5 a liter in Vancouver.

See your $4 million dollar condo and raise you a $16 million dollar penthouse. Wasn't sure that you could buy something that decent for $400,000 in Calgary. That would get you a fixer upper here as well and you would be out of the city about 20 to 30 miles on average.
Thinking about P.E.I. Nice fixer upper there is about $20,000. If you need a job you might be in trouble but I'm retired so that's covered.

Yep, Calgary is pretty nice. Went through there this summer for the first time since 1979 and was amazed how it's grown. My cousin has lived there since 1977 and wouldn't live anywhere else.
I hear what your saying about the oil patch. Isn't for the faint of heart or the thin wallet.

Try to get you a photo if we mow. It will be about once a month now until May. It's my Brother and Sister in Laws place so if he says mow and it's not raining your on. Grass isn't knee high but we can't find the puppy mines and she weighs 120 pounds.

Went through the border at International Falls Minnesota and it took 8 Border Patrol officers and a dog the better part of an hour to go through my raised roof camper van. They had a scope in the gas tank and one fella went under the van with a light and a big mirror. They would stop for a few minutes and talk then go back at it again.
In the end they ran it through the x-ray machine.
They told me in the end that I was from Vancouver the drug capital of Canada and going through a smaller port and that made them wonder why. I knew that was coming though. Heck I'm from B.C.
They were great about it and didn't mess anything up. I thanked them for that.

Steve.

Last edited:

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
This country's reluctance to give up our cars(or use them more) has been ingrained into the public's physique since the late 1940s.
Its was all a deliberate manipulation of the public to encourage the use of cars and gasoline as well as have a good reason to build new roads.
(In NYC we once had a very efficient system of street cars and electric buses, these were bought up by the major automobile manufacturers and dismantled! Just recently as they were resurfacing the street in front of my house and an excavation unearthed the old trolley car tracks)
Ok, history lesson over.
I'm a gear head, always have been, my dad and his dad were gear heads.
Gran dad rode Indians, my dad and I rode Harley's and drove muscle cars.
Back in the 70's, with the first gas crunch, I built my first Motor bike, I've used them as local transportation ever since.
Believe me, once gas hits those kinds of prices the natural thriftiness of the motor bike will shine through.

Heck... once gas hit $2.50 a gallon I started using my bikes more and left the big Harley and muscle cars for more economical small engined cars and motorcycles.
Necessity will prevail, it always has, it always will.
Common sense is decidedly uncommon, they wont do it until they HAVE to do it.
I'm ready, I've been buying up kits for years.
Just two years ago you could pick up a nice china doll kit for about $120 bucks, less if you buy wholesale.
Of course then the government will regulate the Motor bikes so stringently most wont want to deal with it.
RIDE FREE!
BBB

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
When you consider the devaluing of the dollar, the rapidly rising cost of food, and rising gas prices it's only a matter of time till motor bicycles start showing up on the radar. It might come in the back door, with people first going to bicycles then finding out they can get something a little better

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if the average joe and jane in southern california got rid of their SUV's and bought motorbikes, the traffic fatality rate would skyrocket.

do you know how hard it is to talk on your phone and put makeup on while riding a glorified moped?

btw, i filled up a 2 gallon can of premium yesterday for $7.75.

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
$5 a gallon? What are you paying now per gallon?

We're at an average of $1.30 per litre... A gallon is around the 4L range... I remembered a couple years ago a gallon was around $1.30 or something? Can't remember...

So if you think you've got it bad... Think again... LOL

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Back during the 70s oil embargo I had a Mercury Marquee. It had a huge gas tank that held 20 gallons or more. I used to fill it up and park it in the driveway and siphon gas to run my motorcycle.

Now I have a van that holds 32 gallons. That would be about a years supply of gas for my motor bicycle.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
bitsnpieces, 4L=3.78 U.S. gallons.

In around Vancouver, British Columbia we at $1.22.5 a liter.

Bairdco, I cant wait until John Force discovers motor bikes.

Steve.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Last week i looked at a lot of info and video`s on "wood gas" . Interesting. The fast wood gas pickup in ill. Burns rubber for approx 100 feet. Lol. Old technology from ww ii times etc. In remoter places they run generators on wood gas.

Ron ps, i think they all have thumb throttles. Lol

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
bitsnpieces, 4L=3.78 U.S. gallons.

In around Vancouver, British Columbia we at $1.22.5 a liter.

Bairdco, I cant wait until John Force discovers motor bikes.

Steve.
Ummm no 1 US gallon = 3.78541178 litres

Back on topic i just bought premi here for 1.159

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
if gas prices hit $10.00 ... i would be afraid to be rideing an mb ... i need to invest in an old sherman tank and put an 2 smoker in that lol