another coaster brake failure

GoldenMotor.com

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
was riding my daily rider...a cheap cruiser with a 66 2 stroke then i went to stop a a stop sign...lucky for me there was no cross traffic... when i hit the brake my peddles came spinning out of controll...i thought the arm broke off of the frame...walked it home and pulled the wheel, the arm was still attached...when i pulled the arm off i found that the rectangler hole in the arm had become round....wow....cheap china steel(or maybe pressed tinfoil)...ive already opted to put a new hub in this with quality parts...but lesson learned pull off you arm and inspect it as part of routine maintenance.....that could have been bad

.duh.

Kygaga

Mar 31, 2010
San Bernardino, Ca.
if your going to invest some money in a brake , why not get a front disk brake
Too perfect! I'm a newbi because a friend reciently bought a motorized bike with a RAW 80cc on it. (I think this is what some members are "affectionatly" calling their "china girl". Only 2nd time coming to site. Came across you while looking for a replacement plug for it, and almost prophetically found out about the plug wire problem. I had just ordered one (in case) when 2 days later my friend called to say his plug wire had pulled apart. We are most grateful for the advice badly needed about something we know NOTHING about! So THANK YOU to all for your time and effort on behalf of the "rest" of us!!! But today I came here looking to diagnose a particular problem . . . the pedal kicking violently foreward when the coaster brake is applied . . ..duh. and here you are talking about it! If you will, I would like to know more particulars (specs & "how to" info) on installing a front disc brake. Or a bit more info on even checking out the pedal "whatever" to see the "rounded out" hole you're talking about. As I said . . . we know NOTHING! .duh..duh.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
yeah....i got a parts bike i could grab one from but ive been procrastinating that for about 2 years...just thought id share the story so other people would know to inspect that arm if they are coaster brake only people too

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
hey Kygaga ive ordered a much better hub for mine...wont have it for a week...would like to say ill let you know how this hub works out but ill probably have to ride it for a year or so to know...i hope this can help solve you problem too

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
Never would I ever ride something with only a front brake.. I would agree with eliminating the coaster brake tho.. but at the very least, add a scrub brake to the rear wheel..

mountian bike wheel isn't a good idea as they all have more than 1 gear and they like to jump to 1 another without a de-railer.... I blew out the rear wheel bearings on mine.. took the wheel to the bike shop for repair and told them if they couldn't fix it to put the tire on a single speed rim.. didn't listen and I got another 5spd rim, and I'm constantly fighting with the chain

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
hows this for coaster brake failure?

my CB arm got caught in one of the 9 bolt heads and got wrapped back ward and around the dropout effectivley crusing the outer hub casing and bearings.

total lock at 40kmh. ground through the tire tube and half of the rim before it stopped.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
hows this for coaster brake failure?

my CB arm got caught in one of the 9 bolt heads and got wrapped back ward and around the dropout effectivley crusing the outer hub casing and bearings.

total lock at 40kmh. ground through the tire tube and half of the rim before it stopped.
Sounds like Mr.Toads Wild Ride!

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
the first time i had a failure the rim locked up bent the axle and shattered the outer race....glad i was only doing about 20 mph....i was still accellerating though....but no wearing thru the rim....wow thats impressive

Kygaga

Mar 31, 2010
San Bernardino, Ca.
hey Kygaga ive ordered a much better hub for mine...wont have it for a week...would like to say ill let you know how this hub works out but ill probably have to ride it for a year or so to know...i hope this can help solve you problem too
Hey Noco . . . any chance you could tell me what this "much better hub" is. Under the circumstances, I think my friend might like to find out for himself how well it works rather than waiting a year or so for your rerview.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
get a name brand....not a cheap malasia hub......i went with shimano.....the quality of the steel is much better....i didnt find an old american made hub....i found a brake arm to one though but it didnt fit.... the quality of that steel was excellent

Kygaga

Mar 31, 2010
San Bernardino, Ca.
get a name brand....not a cheap malasia hub......i went with shimano.....the quality of the steel is much better....i didnt find an old american made hub....i found a brake arm to one though but it didnt fit.... the quality of that steel was excellent
Thanks Noco! I have a couple of other questions, not appropriate to this thread, but since you have been kind enough to help me directly AND definetly seem to know what you are talking about . . . may I impose on you anyway?
Question one:
SPARK PLUG: I read through the general info thread and came to two conclusions: (based on outcome, seemingly not right!) 1: best spark plug NGK BR6HIX. 2) best replacement wire NGK "some forgotten no." coil wire. Ordered, installed both and runs like crap! He's got to clean the air filter but 15 MPH??? Your advice?
Question 2:
BACK RIM ALLIGNMENT: The bike is a beach cruiser and he could NOT adjust the chain adj. so chain didn't start rubbing almost immediately after adj. (Tight as he could get it) Switched to a regular 10-speed type tire for more clearance . Rim first taken into a shop to make sure rim was adj. as it should be (Spokes and all such - I guess it "trues" the wheel ) but NOW he can't get it to allign properly. The front leans TOWARD the chain. Any suggestions? THANKS for humoring me! REALLY APPRECIATE your help! What a guy!

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
hey kygaga....

#1 sounds like its an air leak....check around where the carb attaches to the intake....if it gets to 15 and the sound of the engine changes it may be four stroking...(it is a 2 stroke right)

#2 ok go back to the fat tire...ive never not had one align....the rear gear has a convex shape to it....every fat tire ive done has had the gear teeth away from the wheel....now this is important cause i separated my shoulder once because of this.....make sure the bikes chain is tightened first....then set your tensioner....ive always set mine as far away from the axle as i can....you may need to bend your tensioner abit....and dont try for all the way tight with the chain if it is a 415 chain....you are going to want about 3/4 inch defection on top when you roll the bike backwards(with the clutch in)....if you got 410 chain(standard chain for single speed bikes) your going to want to set that tight....ps some kits have shims for the back of the gear...you may need to find some of those to bring your gear out...it may just come as part of another rag joint....if so making them wouldnt be too hard....

you did cut the chain the right lenth right? hope i can help.... it be easier to see whats up if i had a picture.....dont see why that skinny wheel is leaning unless you dont have it set right in the rear end....axle is bent....or the bike is bent.....by the way...a skinny wheel with a coaster brake???or is this a 1 3/8ths tube?

hey was that arm the problem with your brake?

Kygaga

Mar 31, 2010
San Bernardino, Ca.
THANKS, Noco! So much info in your reply, now we just have to figure out how to apply it. An air leak sounds likely. "We" will check that out. Haven't done anything about the coaster break YET. He really gets "SHOOK" by the problems. It was pre-built, and he's kind of "timid" about working on it. (Doesn't necessarily "trust" me to do so, even tho I've figured out how to "fabricate" answers to some "minor" problems. (chain guard breaking at its front mounting and rear mount being tweeked out of shape by it, etc.) I was a fencing contractor for 15 yrs., and am mechanically inclined. I think it is ME who could reall get "into" the bike. He just wants to ride it. I LOVE this forum and the things everybody has to say about these way cool bikes! Chain length . . . bike was pre-fab so assume it was cut right. Have NO clue what size it is. Tire allignment . . . He hasn't even let me check it out! (OR "play with" setting the tensioner!) He took it to some friend who told him that 8oz oil/gal of gas was 20/1! The info you just gave me makes PERFECT sence! Now I just need him to let me get my hands on it! The tire itself . . . I have no idea about it's size. Bicycles were never "my thing". I never paid attention to the "basic workings" of one before. That leaves me behind the curve in even the basic bicycle mechanics of his little "black beauty". (MY affectionate name for it, he just calls it his bike) But thanks to you, and all you others, I'm able to at least work toward understanding. I would send you a picture, but I don't have a camera that will load to my computer. Must be time to get one. Will do that and as soon as I can I'll post some. At this point, I may not be posting until I can figure out and APPLY the info you've already given me! I will still be following the forum however. I sure do thank you for all your help so far, and "I'LL BE BACK!"