Shift levers

GoldenMotor.com

HenryKillinger

Feb 8, 2010
OR
So I have a 24 speed mountain bike that i'm using. I'm looking to get rid of some handlebar clutter and don't see the need in keeping my shifters on seeing as its no longer a mountain bike. Potentially really dumb question... would my bike still work if i took the gear cables off?

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
But dont you still want to ride it normally? if the engine breaks down you will want to be able to shift cause you have all the extra weight. I kept mine and dont mind the clutter.

OKflyboy

Jan 4, 2010
Tulsa Area, OK
I agree with Vistaman, you remove the shifters and its going to make it real hard to ride when you're not using the motor. Here's how to clear some of the clutter and keep your rear shifter:

Your front derailleur will most likely have to be removed to make room for the engine, so that shifter can go.

Next, get a dual-pull brake lever and put it on the right, so your left side isn't cluttered with two levers (clutch and brake).

Your right side now has a throttle and brakes, to make it a little less cluttered, move your rear shifter to the left side, maybe even switch to a twist shifter if you don't already have one.

Right side with throttle and dual-pull brakes:

Left side with clutch and twist shifter:

Attachments

perkoff

Jul 13, 2009
Wisconsin
So I have a 24 speed mountain bike that i'm using. I'm looking to get rid of some handlebar clutter and don't see the need in keeping my shifters on seeing as its no longer a mountain bike. Potentially really dumb question... would my bike still work if i took the gear cables off?
You wouldn't be able to shift, might come in handy if you ever run out of gas. I moved mine from the right side to the left side.

HenryKillinger

Feb 8, 2010
OR
all valid points. i'm not going to be doing much of any riding up hills as my towns pretty flat, so i was just thinking it would be like riding a bmx

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
I did exactly what okfly said. I took off the front derailer, bought a grip shift, put it on the left, and got a dual pull brake for the right. nice and cleaned up. It's nice cause if i want to i can stop and move the chain to the first second or third sprocket, and then still shift thru the gears. I usually leave it on my second sprocket

HighCycleNM

Feb 20, 2010
Santa Fe, NM
On any decent quality front or rear derailleur, there are stop screws to limit its travel in both directions. So you can always take off the shifters and cables, then use the derailleur stop screws to set it in whatever gear you want.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
^ good point.

i just hauled the cables off and left er in 6th gear. both of my brake levers are on the right side one under the other, i can squeeze either or.