Mounting throttle & kill button

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
in your diagram you dont have the white wire being hooked up to anything, Why? I was under the impression that the white wire was basically your hot wire? how would you get anykind of spark to your plug if its not hooked up to something? Mine is wired in with the two blue wires ( thats with no kill swithch) and/or you could wire it to the yellow wire of the kill swithch and take the other wire and tie that in with the ground
The diagram shows an 'opitonal' method of wiring the kill switch using the white wire. I don't agree with that method but many have done it and it seems to work for most. The kill button (normally open momentary switch) simply connects the two wires coming from it. The black wire from the engine is grounded internally to the engine. The blue wire ( output about 80 volts) is the ignition primary lead. When you wire the kill button as per the diagram what you are doing is grounding the blue wire when you press the button therefore shorting the ignition to ground and stopping the engine. The white wire (output about 6 to 9 volts) can be used for a low wattage headlight but it is limited to about 2.5 to 3 watts. I hope this answers your question.
Tom

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
The white wire is a "hot" wire with alternating current. The (usually blue) wire to the CDI is also a hot wire. There are capacitors in the CDI that discharge with a strong current to amplify the power from the motor and spark harder. If the white wire is grounded to the frame or motor, it keeps that energy from going to the CDI and plug, killing your motor.

Noped

Apr 21, 2010
Natchez, ms
" Save yourself lots of grief. Buy these parts."

AMEN TO THAT BROTHER!!! I split the diff in the wobble and the chain is riding for now; i'll have my new quality sprocket and adp. from pirate cycles in three days. I can't wait to Frisbee that piece of junk as far away as i can! even better; i'll hang it on the wall and thumb my nose at it when i pass by.

be seeing you

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
I made this kill switch and mounted it with 1/4 X 20 teflon screws to the bars and soldered the wire to the shorting bar. I ran the wire through the bars down the throttle cable to the magneto. When pushed it shorts to the bars and kills the motor, it will short to YOU if you touch the shorting bar and not the knob on it. You will only do it one time though and learn very quickly not to do it again.

Attachments