New to the world

GoldenMotor.com

Densen

Jun 26, 2015
NY/RI
Hi everyone,

I am completely new to motorized bicycles and want to buy one for myself. I am currently looking at http://houstonmotorizedbicycles.com/...or-sale-texas/ and am looking to buy the Black Phantom with hub brakes. Can anyone shed some light on to how good this bike is? My budget is about 1-1.5k
I really want a cool look and not just a bike with an engine. I dont have any engineering or mechanical experience so I dont think I can do a diy kit, I would prefer to buy it from a reliable source

thanks everyone,
Denis

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
$100 for the gt2-a frame (gasbike.net)
$180 for the forks (monark springer)
$160 for the 66cc slant head motor kit
$xxx for whatever donor bike you want to transfer parts over to.

I built one. Cost me right at $500 (ish). I love the bike! Solid construction, light, and very smooth. I used a 48cc, so your experience may vary. I've never heard of that company, so I have no idea if they do good work or not.

Looks like a good bike though.

Densen

Jun 26, 2015
NY/RI
So I'm actually going with jakes bike. I called him and he is doing a full custom build for 1500. I don't have an experience so id rather have my first bike built for me and learn how to maintain it and slowly get into building myself. I was told a lot of the parts are cheap and its marked up a lot. I'll post my quote from jake once I get it.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Well I didn't use the monark forks on mine. Those are suspension forks from a Schwinn mountain bike. I paid $140 for the frame (they marked it down a month after I bought that). The engine kit I got for a steal at $120. I bought a beach cruiser for $40, and got a free mountain bike. Then came all the little incidentals. $17 for a single speed bmx 18t freewheel, $30 ish for the lights, $15 for the mirror, $25 for the battery, $25 for the ammo cans (not pictured), $15 for the speedometer (which broke after a week, so I'm getting a replacement), another $10 for the custom poo poo pipe I built, and add a little for paint, decals, miscellaneous nuts/bolts, etc.

I will say that the diy kits are actually really easy, and it only requires a set of very basic tools to install. However, that bike frame does require you to fully assemble EVERYTHING. The bottom bracket has no bearings, steer tube has no bearings, and lots of parts come in several different sizes. Things like the seat post, forks, and axles all have different sizes that you would have to know exactly which parts to get. I did a lot of trial and error with 3 different seat tube sizes before I found something that fit. So it can get a little daunting. If you absolutely want the in-frame tank and have zero mechanical ability, then buying a premade kit might be your best bet.

The gt2-a frame is awesome though. I'm sure you'll love it.

Welcome to madness :)

Terrence

(And thanks, Trey)