Some of the most popular performance mods with videos

GoldenMotor.com

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Good plan... I always keep an extra piston on hand when ramping just in case I go too far, they're cheap and easy to cut... Much cheaper and easier than the jug to buy and cut alike.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yup... Very handy... I got a set of 10 carbide dremel burrs off ebay for like $20 and then got an extra long one from browntool.com several years back but it was one of those used "grab bag" sets. The extra long one was a 3" long 1/8" burr so it gets right into the transfers with no problem.

I also got a set of the diamond tip burrs for the fine finishing and smoothing, Diamond tips aren't very good at cutting but great for fine work like finishing or doing small cuts in high risk areas where a carbide would destroy the work if your hand slipped.

Another very handy tool to get into the tight spots is the micro grinder sold at Harbor Freight, it's only 3/4" wide and uses 1/8" rotary files, it does need a good sized compressor tho because even tho it's really small, it uses a LOT of air so if ya got at least a 30 gallon compressor, it's a good investment. And another tool HF sells that helps is their mini air file, it's a reciprocating pneumatic file and you can use the files it comes with or needle files, great for rough porting and shaping, but need to finish with the rotary burrs or diamond tip burrs, I used this to clean off the casting ridges and open up the intake/exhaust ports... http://www.harborfreight.com/air-file-1704.html This tool is kinda clumsy but can cut fast if ya got a steady hand, it saved me a lot of time on the port opening part of the job.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I got some of those drum sanders too and really like the way they work, even the older type rolls that go on those straight arbors work nice since they can flex some, but the sanders do make short work of putting just the right finish on the intake side and plenty smooth enough for the exhaust side too, if I want a polished finish on the exhaust side or in the combustion chamber, the worn out drums and rolls work well to speed up that task.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I got some of those drum sanders too and really like the way they work, even the older type rolls that go on those straight arbors work nice since they can flex some, but the sanders do make short work of putting just the right finish on the intake side and plenty smooth enough for the exhaust side too, if I want a polished finish on the exhaust side or in the combustion chamber, the worn out drums and rolls work well to speed up that task.
Very true..

.wee.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I love those drum sanders. Didn't know they came in 1/8 size. Dang now my cart on that site is at $20 need $5 in more random stuff for free shipping ha! Perfect for porting/polishing. I use the stone grinders on my dremel to knock down any left-over casting nonsense in the intake and exhaust first because otherwise those sanding bits get torn up.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I wish we had a Harbor Freight that was closer here, I have to drive 85 miles one way to Harbor Freight thats closest to me, its cheaper for me to just order from home when you figure I'll probably spend $60-$75 for fuel and lunch when the wife and I make the drive, but if we go to Abilene Texas I normally always swing in to Harbor Freight and at least get a couple odds and ends since I'm there.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I can't even go into a Harbor freight without spending a few hundred bucks on something... lol ... I'm liking their hand tools and some of their air tools as their quality has sky rocketed over the years, but some stuff like the electric powered tools I do find quite underpowered. I got a belt sander from then that stalls anytime I press a piece of wood to the belt at normal sanding pressure, but it'll sand if I got all day to sit there with it... Their wire feed welders are nice too and get the job done, but mine didn't last very long before the wire feed controller went out on it.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I can't even go into a Harbor freight without spending a few hundred bucks on something... lol ... I'm liking their hand tools and some of their air tools as their quality has sky rocketed over the years, but some stuff like the electric powered tools I do find quite underpowered. I got a belt sander from then that stalls anytime I press a piece of wood to the belt at normal sanding pressure, but it'll sand if I got all day to sit there with it... Their wire feed welders are nice too and get the job done, but mine didn't last very long before the wire feed controller went out on it.
I bought an air die grinder for I think $8 and never used it up until my exhaust on the bike snapped at the header and I had to weld it back up. I used that to clean the welds and man the sucker was fast and very good. All metal couldn't complain what-so-ever. Now on the other hand I bought their "dremel" or rotary tool whatever. Broke that as soon as I started using a bit.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Ive had good service from my harbor freight tools, yes they have some one time use stuff but rhe have some things that are about as good as any name brand out there at better prices, I do feel like I need to pull out m chop sticks when I go in there since its all made by our enemies over seas, there's a reason for all that which I wont give my opinions on here....

if you gets there "Professional Grade" tools I've found the quality to be very good.

I had their very best 18v cordless drill many years ago when every power tool they sold was bright orange and it was the best I ever owned up until I switched ovre to all Ryobi Lithium cordless tools which are excellent... my dad bought the $39 18v drill and it was junk, I bought the $89 one about 15 years ago at the same time and it would outlast the Dewalts and Craftsmans 18v drills and had as much or more power, it had a motor made by Johnson and the Ni-cad batteries were made by Panasonic and it would charge for dead to full power in 20 minutes, my brother had a nice Bosch 18v drill and he and two other guys I was hanging drywall with would use a full battey and about half of the other one in the same time mine would use one full charge, and was driving just as many screws as they were, I really enjoyed that little drill, it impressed the heck outta me and several other people, then one of my younger brother barrowed it without me knowing and left it out in the rain, I thought it was stollen and later found it , he forgot to bring it back to me and it had got left out in the weather for over a year, I was sick about it but oh well what was done was done and if I had of stomped a mud hole in most little brother it wouldn't have brought the drill back so.... I just let it go...lol

I still have it and the motor is actually still good but chuck is rust welded together and battery is bad and they dont make the batteries anymore..

Dang that was a rabbit trail.... sorry fellas....lol

Map

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Pretty much the same here.. I got a cordless drill to use around the house and it doens't even come close to my Bosch when it comes to power or battery life, but I got one of those cordelss impact drivers from them for the shop and that thing has all the power, speed, and battery life I need... I use it on a regualr basis too so it sees a LOT of use... Oops.. Got another customer... gotta go... for now...