EZM clutch adjustment?

GoldenMotor.com

cdavid67

Apr 4, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA.
Hello all,

Well, my 4G is sitting in pieces on my workbench now due to a wasted one way bearing. (I'll fix it and use it on next project). My bike has a fresh EZM trans installed. Chains are all adjusted. Pulleys and belt are in perfect alignment. The clutch bell very slightly rubs the EZM plate and makes a dinging noise. Is this normal until things loosen up?
I would also like to adjust the clutch because it takes quite a bit of throttle before it hooks up. The very short time I had the 4G it seemed to hook up way earlier. How do you access these Max Torque clutches? Do I have to totally remove the trans? Why are there no instructions for this?

I have a HS 49cc with a HD freewheel axle kit and a 56 tooth rear sprocket. I am 165 lbs.

Any help would be appreciated.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Just start riding it to break it in and oil the bushing every couple rides or so. There really is no adjustment for the clutch unless you take it apart and replace the springs to lighter ones for lower rpm take-off.....I wouldn't bother, just ride and things will seat and wear in. The dinging of the clutch bell is common, ignor it, no damage is being done.

Ride like the wind!

brnot

Hello all,

Well, my 4G is sitting in pieces on my workbench now due to a wasted one way bearing. (I'll fix it and use it on next project). My bike has a fresh EZM trans installed. Chains are all adjusted. Pulleys and belt are in perfect alignment. The clutch bell very slightly rubs the EZM plate and makes a dinging noise. Is this normal until things loosen up?
I would also like to adjust the clutch because it takes quite a bit of throttle before it hooks up. The very short time I had the 4G it seemed to hook up way earlier. How do you access these Max Torque clutches? Do I have to totally remove the trans? Why are there no instructions for this?

I have a HS 49cc with a HD freewheel axle kit and a 56 tooth rear sprocket. I am 165 lbs.

Any help would be appreciated.

chrisnbush

Jan 10, 2008
Richmond, NH
Hey, wondering if someone in this thread could advise

My new project is an HF 79cc with the EZM clutch, I have the frame all built (sweet !) and the HF mounting plate ready to go. About to purchase the HF 79cc.

I have 2 questions.

1. My original plan is NOT to defeat the governor on the motor, judging from this thread am I going to have clutch engagement issues if the motor only maxes out at 3600 rpm ? I will be getting the adjustable drive pully for the clutch from custommotorbikes.com - hoping there is enough there to make it work.

2. I do not have any freewheel setup, at least at this point. Without a freewheel, with the EZM clutch allow me to coast down a hill ? Not just if I start from a stopped position at idle, but if I am approaching a downhill at some speed and cut the throttle.

Any observations would be appreciated.

Thanks

.xx.

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
2. I do not have any freewheel setup, at least at this point. Without a freewheel, with the EZM clutch allow me to coast down a hill ? Not just if I start from a stopped position at idle, but if I am approaching a downhill at some speed and cut the throttle.

Any observations would be appreciated.

Thanks

.xx.
I can answer #2. When you are not on the throttle, the clutch will completely disengage and the only parts that will move will be your rear sprocket, chain and the clutch bell. You can pedal this thing all day and aside from the extra weight, you wont even know its there. So yes you can coast down hill. With that said, when you let off the throttle, you WILL NOT have any engine braking.