How much did your build cost?

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Not to even more off topic but Carol just asked how your doing Nunya. (she is worried about you and the critters)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Beats riding back home thinking yer out of gas only to discover you neglected to turn the fuel petcock back on. Don't ask. Long story and I look bad....

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Everybody's heard my story by now. I call it 'The $50 Cruiser' for a reason!
But for that price on a nearly running bike, I'm going to mention it, if only to make ochnija jealous! :) dance1
Kidding! Has anybody seen his new build? It's going to be super nice...

Last edited:

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
LOL So what's your occupation UVsaturated, "get everything for free". Son? ROFL hahahaha herm I do have fond memories of when I was son. Nupe
It's easy. I just changed my concept of how I view money. Money is not mine, it is owned wholly by the people of the United States, which is represented by the various clowns in Washington. I view money not as a commodity in and of itself, but as a tool, so in essence when I get money, it is given to me freely and I spend it here and there when I need parts.

But to really answer your question on my profession, I was a Journeyman CNC Machinist for about 15 years, with some other experience in fabrication and steel service centers. I'm also certified in CAD, not that that helped me get any job.

Right now I am unemployed still due to the crash of 2009. That made me homeless for a while and I am still picking up the pieces and trying to rebuild my life. It's a long personal story, but you have a little bit of my background.

So when I say free, truly I am blessed if I get some work at all on the side. Anytime I am working, I consider it fun otherwise I wouldn't be doing it and then I get some cash here and there from time to time and I invest in the little frugal things that count on my motorized bike.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Beats riding back home thinking yer out of gas only to discover you neglected to turn the fuel petcock back on. Don't ask. Long story and I look bad....
Dan I can't actually remember the number of times I've done that. I also spent about 30 minutes one day trying to start my bike, after a re-build, before I remembered to turn the on/off switch I had installed to the on position.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
This is the "other brother Dan" saying I've done 'em all too. Silverbear was with me one time I ran out of gas so he went and got some for me. Had to pedal back the other times and I hate to pedal.
Dan

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
My build cost...
about 200 dollars bikeberry kit.
my bike was free. A gift.
that ran for about 3 days, then i busted the rear engine mount.
then i bought a dax f80 150 and the mounts were smaller, fortunately i had a large mount in my bikeberry kit unused. i ran that for a few months and then the head stud stripped out. Now im running a 135 dollar ebay 50cc 2 stroke.
I left off the cost of all my upgrades, as im currently running without any of the upgrades at the moment.

I appreciate everyone's input about cost. As im doing a presentation on these motorized bicycle i wanted to verify my figures were close to accurate, as they are. Im still waiting to see if im shocked by some surprisingly cheap builds that are realistic, especially in the electric area.

Please!!! stay on topic. There are other threads to talk about running out of gas or breaking down

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
I believe I spent about $60 on everything. The engine came from a pressure washer that was given to me, the bike was found in the trash, the metal, nuts, bots, and pulleys needed I already had. I only bought the tires, tubes, and the belt.
Tires: $20 for both
Tubes: $20 for both
92 inch V-belt: Somewhere around $20.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
My build cost...
about 200 dollars bikeberry kit.
my bike was free. A gift.
that ran for about 3 days, then i busted the rear engine mount.
then i bought a dax f80 150 and the mounts were smaller, fortunately i had a large mount in my bikeberry kit unused. i ran that for a few months and then the head stud stripped out. Now im running a 135 dollar ebay 50cc 2 stroke.
I left off the cost of all my upgrades, as im currently running without any of the upgrades at the moment.

I appreciate everyone's input about cost. As im doing a presentation on these motorized bicycle i wanted to verify my figures were close to accurate, as they are. Im still waiting to see if im shocked by some surprisingly cheap builds that are realistic, especially in the electric area.

Please!!! stay on topic. There are other threads to talk about running out of gas or breaking down
My sincere apologies about the off topic stuff. I did do most of it. One thing you might want to do is be very clear in the OP that you would prefer nothing but data and no social.

But again, you have my apologies.

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
Also my sincere apologies. My first build cost me $85.00 for a new huffy crusier, $150.00 for a 66cc engine kit, and $25.00 for the odds and ends. A good rideable bike for under $300.00 is a bargin.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Last build:
$150.00 for used Morini engine, threw the rest of the motorcycle away
$150.00 for Worksman bicycle. Ended up using the seatpost back and parts of the fork
$20.00 approx. for 1" tubing
$15.00 for 3/16 stainless steel plate
$20.00 approx. for 2'x4' 11 ga. sheet for seat and tank and other mild steel flat stock
$5.00 for leather to cover seat
$70.00 for used wheel set with Shimano roller brakes. Only used front wheel.
$15.00 for cable and housing
$15.00 for 2 cans of rattle can paint
$40.00 for Nickel welding rod to electroplate parts
$15.00 for compression springs for front forks.
$15.00 for stainless steel bolts, nuts, washers
$530.00 Approx total for parts

Plus endless hours building it, taking it apart, remaking stuff till it suited me.
If I could get $3200 for it that would earn me about $15 an hour for my time.
But I've had more fun with it than if I had spent $3200 having fun in other ways.

Is bike building a passion? Uh...for me it's more like an obsession!

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
graydog8josh: I jumped in didn’t know yaw was onto a paper. RMLL build, you know where RMLL blogging thread is. Reader’s interested 54 Roadmaster Luxury Liner use the Google bar inside the fourm.

That build was about, give or take a hundred and odd change $1,150.00 USD at last count and I do not think I am much more than 50 off with that figure.

Build cost of a bike like the RMLL are related to fairly priced quality parts purchased mainly from trusted supporting vendors of this forum. Underline quality parts, RMLL was not a kit but I did not invent the wheel here; I paid those who did already <fair>. The rest of the cost of this build was driven by exacting bids on eBay. The RMLL build attempts to accurately reflect a sixty year by gone period of US manufacture and style.

PS: Wow grand idea for a paper! You will fare well on topic alone. Surly you have an A paper would enjoy reading!

PS PS All COLLEGE BOUND Follow this man’s lead here; I see a lot of potential for STATS class with the data you could collect or just ask for or find yourself….

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
My first build, my bike, wasn't bad since I've owned the bike itself for around 20 years now. The engine kit (66cc), speed carb, and 36T sprocket were around $200 altogether, from ZoomBicycles. A few tools, and misc. bits and pieces probably added around $100.

For the second build, my wife's bike, she bought the bike used from a shop for a bit under $100, the same motor, carb and 48T sprocket from the same supplier (bought off a neighbour who went and got it for his wife after seeing mine - she didn't want it so he sold it to me) for about $200.

I don't count the hours, because to me this isn't work.

For my current project, I don't really want to think about it. With the first two I had them both up and running within a weekend. This one has been an off and on project for quite a while now. ;)

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
I'm in love with these tires where did you get them and if you n remember how much

after being in the goped/dirt bike scene for a few years, i built my first bike which was a real pos that barely went together correctly. It was all stock, the bike was 170 and the kit was 180, but we had to replace some parts and make a few things so after it was "done" it cost me around $400.

after getting into gopeds again, i built another motorbike because i just cant shake the addiction of motor bikes ;). It was the same type of bike but i knew what to do this time. I replaced all hardware that came with the kit, and had the correct parts ready. After it was done it cost about $500.

then after buying yet another goped and getting pulled over a bunch, i built myself a hs fourstroke that i was going to use as my only bike untill a new thing comes along. I put everything i wanted on it since it will be my last bike for a while. Felt bike, custom exhaust, billet crank, sprocket adapter, speedometer, tach, etc. After it was done, i spent about $1,000. This bike is now my pride and joy (besides my pc).

hope i had some useful info!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Budget build, baby!! Though it wasn't actually intended...just didn't know better at the time.

I've got about $375 in my bike, Skyhawk 66cc, front caliper brake, and Turbobuick1 chain tensioner.

I'm almost ready to build a 'better' one.......thinking 4 stroke, shifter kit, and mountain bike with disc brakes. Gonna try to set the budget at $700 --- I think it's do-able!