will rain hurt it?

GoldenMotor.com

screamthepoetry

Nov 22, 2011
greensburg, indiana
hi, i live in a second story apartment and carry my bike from my balcony downstairs before every trip. My question is will rain hurt it? i would leave it inside buy the bottom side of my carb has a very small gas leak for some reason, not enough where i am losing gas, just enough that it causes a spot underneath and makes the apartment hallway smell like gas, i really dont want to get evicted so i am keeping it on my balcony atm, but it is supposed to rain tomorrow and i dont want all my hard work to go to waste if it rains... i mean it seems like everything electrical is sealed pretty good and with the ports on the air filter pointing downward i really dont think it would flood the engine, but i want to make sure. thanks guys

Heino

Jul 14, 2011
Ont
I bought a bike cover at Wal-Mart, about $15, that I use to cover mine when it rains. Works GREAT :) . I would definitely do this as water can easily short things out and cause multiple headaches. Also I had problems with my carb leaking too. Thought it was out of the float bowl gasket but after new gaskets and sealer, I discovered the gas was leaking thru the bowl itself (porous casting).

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Covering it is really good advise.
Nothing is sealed pretty well, particularly the electrical.

Rust is your enemy and every moving part is subject to it.

Find the origin of your gas leak.We can give you advice if you need it.
I keep mine in the house and it doesn't drip one single drop of gas, never has.

Keep it as nice as you can for as long as you can.

I work on a lot of bicycles and the ones that get left outside get ruined long before they should.

TiM

maintenancenazi

Oct 22, 2011
Asheville
Covering it is really good advise.
Nothing is sealed pretty well, particularly the electrical.

Rust is your enemy and every moving part is subject to it.

Find the origin of your gas leak.We can give you advice if you need it.
I keep mine in the house and it doesn't drip one single drop of gas, never has.

Keep it as nice as you can for as long as you can.

I work on a lot of bicycles and the ones that get left outside get ruined long before they should.

TiM
^^ What he said!! If at all possible, try to keep it indoors.

screamthepoetry

Nov 22, 2011
greensburg, indiana
i went and got a tarp to keep it covered when i am not riding it, as soon as i find a solution to the gas leak i will keep it inside, the leak is this screw located in the picture

i have tried everything from teflon tape, washer, everything..im about to just go get lock tight and seal it down.. any suggestions?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
SealAll. It is a product sold at most auto parts stores made to seal gasoline leaks. That drain screw is not necessary. many NT style carburetors don't even have one. If you need to clean the bowl, completely remove it. The drain is not needed, seal it with the product recommended.
Tom

maintenancenazi

Oct 22, 2011
Asheville
Hmmm, wonder if there might be a hairline crack somewhere in the housing around the screw? Shouldn't be still leaking from all you have already done!

screamthepoetry

Nov 22, 2011
greensburg, indiana
not no crack its the screw itself, it wont tighten down all the way, the threads on the inside of it are messed up so it wont properly tighten...i mean its tight but still has play if u mess with it and a screw driver.. i will look into the seal all and just seal it up, i mean this thing gets pretty good mpg but still its wasting gas, debating on just taking a soldering gun and sealing it up with some solder,

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
If the threads at the end of the screw next to the head are bad, but the rest of the threading is good, you could cut out some additional washers from some gasket material for the screw, to elevate the head away from the bowl to the point where good threads are engaging and sealing the threaded hole.

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Yea my drain screw also has gas around it, I can always tell that the red washer thing is soaked. Oh yea mine is also wrapped in teflon tape as is all 3 screws holding the bowl on.

screamthepoetry

Nov 22, 2011
greensburg, indiana
well that screws the only one giving me problems, and its a pretty bad leak, within an 8 hour shift at work all the fuel in my line is gone, if i was too accidentally forget to turn the fuel valve off i would prolly be out of gas.. but i got a plan, tomorrow i am gonna take the screw out, drain all the gas in the line, then cover the screw in a silicon sealant, put it back and then more sealant around the screw and washer, let it dry all day while i am at work and see how it holds..im pretty confident that it will take care of the problem lol