Tips for the newer members

GoldenMotor.com

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Thought I would start a thread for things new members might need to know, sort of a "Tips for new members" kind of thing.

Tips number one; If you make a new thread and it falls to the second page with no replies and 50 views, you might have posted something that has been posted a few hundred times already. To avoid this problem simply use the search button above and search for the title you were going to use.

If any body else has a tip or three please feel free to contribute them as well.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
try to use as proper grammar/spelling as best you can(mostly just avoid a giant string of errors, a few small things is no big deal), when things are all jumbled and eccentric seeming you come off as uneducated, when you seem uneducated explaining things to you seems like a futile effort, because it seems you wont be able to understand/comprehend it anyways so what's the point?

i realize english is not everyones first language, so this certainly may be harder for some people, but put forth some effort at least and think about what you just wrote before posting to make sure it checks out.

maybe this is just a pet peeve for me, but when i see posts that are all jumbled i don't bother answering because when i do i tend to explain things repeatedly to the same person, which is just not pleasant.

just my 2 cents for new posters.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Do a little research before asking a question. How many times can we offer help when someone asks about the chain tensioner?

There is a search feature at the top of the page. Please use it!
It gets frustrating to members who have seen the same question asked hundreds of times before and its apparent that the questioner won't make the effort to do a little research first.

We're always here for specific help for newbies but they need to use a some initiative
and do a little reading before starting a thread with a question that has been asked and answered countless times.
Tom

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Yep, best way to learn something new, from my experience, is to research your question yourself. If you don't feel like reading, why be on a forum? Most the newbie questions here have been answered already - dozens of times - especially with the chinese 2-strokes.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
the problem with the search feature as a new member is you don't know what to look for/where to start. its harder to search if you don't know all the proper terminology, and how others described it/what it was called in that situation.

when i was new here there were a few threads i made that had already answered questions in them, it wasn't that i didn't search, it was that i got no results when i did search, because i didn't search for quite the right words.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Be sensitive to high jacking other people's threads. If your post is not on subject or doesn't contribute in some way to the thread you are posting to then start your own.

Use the appropriate categories for thread subjects... things for sale in Swap & Shop, questions about Morini engines in that department and so on. It helps people find threads in a subject area of interest to them.

This forum is a remarkable place for the general civility, kindness and helpfulness of it's members. Put downs, flaming and that kind of negativity will not go over well here.
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
the problem with the search feature as a new member is you don't know what to look for/where to start. its harder to search if you don't know all the proper terminology, and how others described it/what it was called in that situation.

when i was new here there were a few threads i made that had already answered questions in them, it wasn't that i didn't search, it was that i got no results when i did search, because i didn't search for quite the right words.
Matt,
The search feature isn't that hard to figure out. 'Chain tensioner' 'Spark Plug', 'Mount' how hard is that? Anyone can use a keyword and that's usually all it takes to give them pages and pages to read on the subject.

As most of you know I've been here for a few years and I can't count the threads I've seen started with, 'Chain Tensioner' by a newbie.
Before I joined the forum I spent hours reading what had previously been written about the most common subjects.
We are always willing to help with specific problems but, honestly, how many times can you willingly explain the wiring for Chinese 2 stroke engine before you just want to say,
"Research, before you ask"?

I'm always ready to help out a newbie and go out of my way to explain the basics but after explaining some of the simpliest inquiries time and time again, it can get old. Especially when the answers are readily available to those who will take the time to look for them. A few of the older members have given up and quit posting help/answers for that reason. They simply get tired of repeating themselves.
Tom

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Great tips so far. I thought of another one.

The great big wall of text. When I see it I just hit the back button and don't even try to read it. Separating your post into paragraphs makes it much easier to read and understand, even if english isn't your first language.

Let's keep the tips coming. If we, the older members, can help the newer members fit in and learn their way around it will help us to not get frustrated.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Matt,
The search feature isn't that hard to figure out. 'Chain tensioner' 'Spark Plug', 'Mount' how hard is that? Anyone can use a keyword and that's usually all it takes to give them pages and pages to read on the subject.

As most of you know I've been here for a few years and I can't count the threads I've seen started with, 'Chain Tensioner' by a newbie.
Before I joined the forum I spent hours reading what had previously been written about the most common subjects.
We are always willing to help with specific problems but, honestly, how many times can you willingly explain the wiring for Chinese 2 stroke engine before you just want to say,
"Research, before you ask"?

I'm always ready to help out a newbie and go out of my way to explain the basics but after explaining some of the simpliest inquiries time and time again, it can get old. Especially when the answers are readily available to those who will take the time to look for them. A few of the older members have given up and quit posting help/answers for that reason. They simply get tired of repeating themselves.
Tom
the fact that there is "pages and pages to read on the subject" can also be a problem, after reading 10 threads with none of them being relevant to your specific question or providing an answer to your situation, it certainly seems worthwhile to just ask the question in a new thread.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Our Google custom search includes search features that many may not be aware of;

Google search basics

Most useful;

Phrase search ("")
By putting double quotes around a set of words, you are telling Google to consider the exact words in that exact order without any change.

Terms you want to exclude (-)
Attaching a minus sign immediately before a word indicates that you do not want pages that contain this word to appear in your results.

Search exactly as is (+)
By attaching a + immediately before a word, you are telling Google to match that word precisely as you typed it.
These can ofc be used alone or in any combination ;)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
the fact that there is "pages and pages to read on the subject" can also be a problem, after reading 10 threads with none of them being relevant to your specific question or providing an answer to your situation, it certainly seems worthwhile to just ask the question in a new thread.
Why would you read ten threads which are not relevant to your question? What you are saying is that your time is precious, but ours is not, so why bother even looking when you can just ask without any effort on your part. What it suggests is laziness. Look first and if you don't find it, ask.
SB

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Why would you read ten threads which are not relevant to your question? What you are saying is that your time is precious, but ours is not, so why bother even looking when you can just ask without any effort on your part. What it suggests is laziness. Look first and if you don't find it, ask.
SB
why would someone read 10 threads that are not relevant?

because the search many of us tell them to do made them seem relevant.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Correct. And that's when most of us will step in and offer personalized help.

I'll never ignore a newbie's question when he says, "I've tried to find the answer but couldn't find anything about my problem" At that point I'll either post a link for him or if I feel he has a unique situation give him specific advice.
Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
What a great idea for a thread Nunya. Really cool.
Just yesterday, had a conversation with some one at a group ride/picnic thing who described himself as a "lurker" He was uncomfortable joining either forum. My un-sage advise was and is jump in with both feet, your amongst friends and some great folks.

Introduce your self with as much or as little information as your comfortable with. Share what your thinking of doing or trying. Enjoy a really good group of folks who want to share and enjoy a rather crazy obsession.

Your amongst friends.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
My best tip for China motors: buy and use a tap set. It's very likely the holes have not been tapped to the bottom leading to short threading the studs into the block. When that happens it's very possible to pull the threads right out of the block. Then you have to deal with tapping the hole out to the next larger size, usually SAE standard, and getting new bolts. The other solution is to tap what is left and use JB Weld.

Get an inch-pound torque wrench and use it. M6 bolt to no more than 128 inch pounds or 8 foot pounds.

You can get both tools at Harbor Freight for around $32 total. Not using them can turn your block to trash.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here's one that always bothers me.
A newbie will ask a question but give no indication about what engine he has. Example: "My carburetor is leaking. What do I do?"

How can anyone offer help with that kind of information? Yes, you can make a guess that the man has a Chinese 2 stroke, but what carburetor?
New members, or anyone actually, should tell us what they have before posting a question about how to fix it.
Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
My all time favorite and I mean all time was just that Tom. No mention of what kind of engine/kit or any thing that could help, help them. Turned out he had a China girl 2 stroke and had his carb upside down.

Oddly enough, she lit right off once he turned his carb right side down. Who knew?

Sorry, just thought it was funny and apropos.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dan,
Can you imagine if you walked into an auto parts store and asked for an air cleaner? What's the first question the counter man is going to ask?
Tom

dan+1

Mar 5, 2011
Texas
As a newbie I am probably guilty of some of what you are pointing out, however I must admit I found helpful advice and PM communications to direct and correct issues. So even though it is trying searches do not always turn up what I need. So I would thank you all.

Tip* Do not drink 6 shots of Drambuie, chase them with 6 Guinness and then jump a freight train, while in the Marine Corp, 1st Sgt’s are not as understanding as you night think.

Wait wrong forum, read all of Norms tips about 2 strokes before you ever try a build, that guy knows his business,

Norm's 2 stroke repair center - Motorized Bicycle: Engine Kit Forum