Does installing an extended exhaust keep our clothes from smelling?

GoldenMotor.com

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
I was wondering if I installed an extended tailpipe, would my clothes stop smelling like exhaust fumes? If so, any recommendations on any tail pipes?

Pat

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
It won't.
The smoke will just blow up behind you and then you will still smell of exhaust. Also, the rubber grips on a lot of kits smell badly of unstabilized rubber and rub off on your clothes.

Extending the exhaust also reduces power and increases heat.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
LOL....this aint a smell good hobbie-sport -whatever you want to call it, but it sure is fun and in my opinion the fun factor out wieghs the smell factor many times over, a little gas on the hands, a little exhaust smell on the rest just makes you feel like you been doing something, my wife complains about the gas smell when I come into the house and says my clothes smell like it too sometimes, but hey thats just part of it when you are playing with stuff like these motorized bikes with the 2 stroke engines that that run on gas/oil mix, it's kinda like riding your weedeater or chainsaw around, you are gonna smell like exhaust reguardless, only way I know to eliminate this would be to go electric or steam power, my advice is just put on a little extra after shave and have fun.....LOL

.wee.

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
It won't.
The smoke will just blow up behind you and then you will still smell of exhaust. Also, the rubber grips on a lot of kits smell badly of unstabilized rubber and rub off on your clothes.

Extending the exhaust also reduces power and increases heat.
Thanks guys. I understand how it would reduce power, but how does it increase heat?

Pat

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Some of the mix oils smell more/worse than others. Amsoil sabre professional and opti 2 are pretty odorless. It is one reason I use one or the other in the chainsaw which is right up close for breathing it in.
SB

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
Some of the mix oils smell more/worse than others. Amsoil sabre professional and opti 2 are pretty odorless. It is one reason I use one or the other in the chainsaw which is right up close for breathing it in.
SB
Is the Amsoil Sabre 100:1 mix the recommended mix for our bikes?

Pat

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Is the Amsoil Sabre 100:1 mix the recommended mix for our bikes?

Pat
Recommended by whom? The Chinese motor manufacturers are recommending mix ratios with other kinds of oil in mind. With Amsoil and Opti 2 they have very different recommendations. Forum members accustomed to regular 2 stroke oil are scared off by "100-1" and I was, too, at first. I used to run the Amsoil at 75 or 80 to 1, now just go with the 100-1 when I use it. If I can find Opti-2 I use that and find it works great in my bikes. I discovered Opti-2 in my local Ace hardware the other day in two sizes, one for one gallon and a larger pack deal for 2.5 gallons. It isn't the most economical way to buy it, but I'm glad to not have to send away for it. I'd say to follow the recommendations of the manufacturer.
Anyway, there are extensive threads on this subject you might want to look up and read through. Lots of opinions and experiences from more informed members than me. Good luck, Pat.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
"I'd say to follow the recommendations of the manufacturer."
I meant that in reference to the oil manufacturer, not the motor company. I have disregarded what is recommended in kit 'directions' and rely more on expertise here.
SB

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
Recommended by whom? ...
SB
Recommended by our experts on this forum. I did some reading on this subject in prior posts and have found so many conflicting recommendations. i.e. Amsoil Sabre anywhere from 32:1 to 100:1. I also found conflicting recommendations on the opti 2 stuff also. Im not looking to build a rocket ship but would like to get the longest life out of my engines. Maybe I should start a thread and ask how many miles people have gotten on there engines and what type and mix of oil they use.

Pat

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
I wouldn't want to use strawberry scented oil because I really don't want to be breathing in the oil/gas smell. At least I'm not tempted to smell my bike's gas when it smells bad lol.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Recommended by our experts on this forum. I did some reading on this subject in prior posts and have found so many conflicting recommendations. i.e. Amsoil Sabre anywhere from 32:1 to 100:1. I also found conflicting recommendations on the opti 2 stuff also. Im not looking to build a rocket ship but would like to get the longest life out of my engines. Maybe I should start a thread and ask how many miles people have gotten on there engines and what type and mix of oil they use.

Pat
Yes, there are many opinions here. I would discard any which are just opinions and stick to the ones which are experiential... ones which are actually based on regular and successful us of a particular oil. What good is an opinion about an oil one has never used? There is no single answer for you at this forum which everyone will agree on. Another poll won't tell you much anything. For example, most of us who use Opti-2 never heard of it until last summer through retmachinest, so even if it was hands above all the rest (not saying it is, now...) how long it has been used successfully is not a true indicator. Compared to say Walmart brand used by somebody else successfully for the past five years and 3,000 miles, Walmart will sound like the superior oil. Not saying that Walmart oil is not good. I have not used it. I can't use all brands and compare them. No one does. Many sincere people have given input on other threads. Once you have read through it all at some point you have to make a decision for yourself and use your best judgment. Some recommendations will be off the wall and I would put Amsoil at 32-1 in that category. Good luck. The perfect oil in an imperfect engine is... well, just pick one that sounds good to you and go with it. You'll be fine.
SB

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well said silver :)

I would jus' like to add that ANY oil, synthetic or otherwise will be prone to undue carbon build up and deposits if used far in excess of the manufacturer's recommendation.

85-90:1 with a 100:1 synthetic or 40:1 w/a 50:1 synthetic is about as much as I'd push it and even then only during break in and/or you notice excessive heat. Something crazed like 32:1 with a 100 or even 50:1 synthetic is jus' beggin' for goo gummin' up the works ;)

Followin' the (oil) manufacturer's recommendation is yer best bet and remember - yer spark plug tells no lies :D

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
BTW- At least your girlfriend/wife ain't *****en that you come home smelling like a strip joint.
Where do I get that scent? Forget salmon and teryaki, I want StripJoint scented oil! You could start a whole line Joe, GutterDrunk, DirtyScoundrel, BustedGambler... err, uh, oh yeah I guess those are all too similar.

But "seriously" bean oil and gas (in varying ratios, of course; to each their own) has long been the cologne of the 2 stroke tuner.

If you don't like smelling like gas and 2 stroke oil get a 4 stroke. Then you'll only smell like gas!

Sorry, I couldn't help it, I find this scented oil thing to be a bit silly. It's like when people move into DownTown condos and start complaining about the NightLife!

Cheers!

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
Patr1ck,

It doesn't matter what you do, if wanting an adequate supply of ring sealing lubrication, you will always arrive at you place of destination smelling like a 2-stroke lawnmower and on longer trips the portions of your clothes below a line marked by sparkplug location will not look pretty.

I've had drops of filthy, greasy, luciferian hot oil splash on my face, when in the low pressure zone of a passing truck - how this is possible is beyond comprehension.

Fabian