NOOB ALERT: Questions for starting out..

GoldenMotor.com

What kind of 66/80cc motor should I purchase?

• Black Stallion 80cc $119

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Jet 80cc $129

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other (Suggestions Please!)

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

parkjehhyun

Sep 13, 2009
fullerton, ca
Hi everyone.

I've got myself a cheap track bike that I basically revived from a rusty death at my friend's old apartment and I'm verrrrrrry excited to put on a bicycle motor.

From what I've gathered so far, I want a 66/80cc motor from either "Jet" or "Black Stallion" from KingsMotorBikes.com.

If anyone has any history with the folks at KingsMotorBikes.com and can tell me successful or failed stories, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, what are YOUR opinions on the Jet or Black Stallion motors and which would you personally prefer? They're only $10 apart so I'd rather get the better-liked of the two.

LASTLY, here's a few photos of my bicycle. UNFORTUNATELY, I do not know the specific dimensions, but from the looks of the photos, do you think I would have any problems? Thank you!

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Well first off the handlebars gotta go(I wouldnt us them anyways) I like a more solid bike for my builds....It might just be fine,but never tried it with those skinny wheels and tires....If im not mistaken kingsmotorbikes is boygofast,someone can correct me if im wrong....I bought a engine from boygofast and have had no problems with it so far(still in the break in period)....from there I have heard good and bad about both....It what everyone calls a crapshoot around here....you could get lucky and get a great engine or a bad one,the the thing is customer service....If you get a bad motor you want to be able to exchange it and have someone that will take care of you like thatsdax.com....He will take care of any problem you may have....I have not bought from zone8cycling but they offer a 6month warranty on there Raw engine for 148.00 shipped to your door....I talked to bikeberry on the phone and they told me they have the 6 month warranty but if any thing is wrong with your engine you have to tear it down and find the part that is wrong with it and they would send you the new part....I thought no way,that is not a warranty if I have to tear the engine down I will just buy somewere else....That was the end of the conversation I had with the guy....He might have been new and didnt know what he was talking about....
John-John

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
That looks to be the same huge frame that my Schwinn Timberline MTB has. I have a Schwinn High Plains too and the frame is about 8" smaller.

I'd definitely look for a cheap used MTB to steal the handlebars, shifters, front shock forks, wheels tires off from. Those skinny tires will make for a very harsh ride @ 30 mph.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I think the road bike is fine with MTB or cruiser handlebars. Keep those thin tires pumped up and your OK.
I know you have the pull bars attached to the road bike brakes that allow you to brake with yours hand up on the cross bar. However, the pull bars do not provide full braking power that allows you to avoid accidents at 25 mph.

Last edited:

parkjehhyun

Sep 13, 2009
fullerton, ca
I think the road bike is fine with MTB or cruiser handlebars. Keep those thin tires pumped up and your OK.
I know you have the pull bars attached to the road bike brakes that allow you to brake with yours hand up on the cross bar. However, the pull bars do not provide full braking power that allows you to avoid accidents at 25 mph.
Understood.
Should I just replace my pull-bars with standard bicycle braking grips then while I'm in the process of changing the handlebars?

parkjehhyun

Sep 13, 2009
fullerton, ca
That looks to be the same huge frame that my Schwinn Timberline MTB has. I have a Schwinn High Plains too and the frame is about 8" smaller.

I'd definitely look for a cheap used MTB to steal the handlebars, shifters, front shock forks, wheels tires off from. Those skinny tires will make for a very harsh ride @ 30 mph.

I'm going to play with the suspension once the engine is installed and move from there. For now, I want to focus on the necessary changes to create a simple motorized bicycle. Thanks though. I'll definitely keep that in mind post-engine installation.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Get a 66cc RAW from zone8 least they come with a 6 month warranty.... what ever you do DO NOT order from gas bike or the other company that owns them....kings i believe, youll only get screwed if you do....speaking from personal experience! good luck!
I have to agree about ordering a kit with someone that has a good warranty like zone8 or thatsdax.com,but I dont totally agree about gasbike(kings)....I have always ordered my engines from thatsdax and he has always done me right,but when it comes to a replacement engine I have gone with boygofast and the engine is ony 55bucks,so cheap that it cost next to nothing if the engine goes bad....I dont have to send it back and wait for a new one....I just make a order for 55 dollors and have another engine within a week or less....Now when it comes to a compete engine kit I would have to say go with zone8 the Raw engine or thatsdax.com for the customer service and total product quality of all the accesory parts,clutch,throttle etc....Just my 2cents....
John-John
.shft.

parkjehhyun

Sep 13, 2009
fullerton, ca
I have to agree about ordering a kit with someone that has a good warranty like zone8 or thatsdax.com,but I dont totally agree about gasbike(kings)....I have always ordered my engines from thatsdax and he has always done me right,but when it comes to a replacement engine I have gone with boygofast and the engine is ony 55bucks,so cheap that it cost next to nothing if the engine goes bad....I dont have to send it back and wait for a new one....I just make a order for 55 dollors and have another engine within a week or less....Now when it comes to a compete engine kit I would have to say go with zone8 the Raw engine or thatsdax.com for the customer service and total product quality of all the accesory parts,clutch,throttle etc....Just my 2cents....
John-John
.shft.

Hmm...
Before deciding on an engine and engine retailer, I'm going to set up the proper handlebar and brakes.
Please keep the opinions and suggestions coming!!

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
If im not mistaken kingsmotorbikes is boygofast,someone can correct me if im wrong....
You are mistaken and Kingsmotors is Zoom and a competitor of BGF so I thought I'd correct you because you were wrong. :)

I've done business with all the above vendors and problems always taken care of. Zoom/Kingsmotors somewhat better than BGF if you need hand holding.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Either motor should work.

You will have problems mounting a motor due to the location of the front derailleur but you might be able to work around it. Narrow tires will make for a rougher ride. Not only do you feel the road more, but you will feel the motor more. One of my MB's has narrow tires and you definitely feel the vibrations more. If your journey's are short, this isn't too much of an issue. You can buy wider tires to help offset this. Some may disagree, but in my opinion these motors like cruisers more. Three of the four MBs I built are cruisers and almost everyone prefers those.

parkjehhyun

Sep 13, 2009
fullerton, ca
Either motor should work.

You will have problems mounting a motor due to the location of the front derailleur but you might be able to work around it. Narrow tires will make for a rougher ride. Not only do you feel the road more, but you will feel the motor more. One of my MB's has narrow tires and you definitely feel the vibrations more. If your journey's are short, this isn't too much of an issue. You can buy wider tires to help offset this. Some may disagree, but in my opinion these motors like cruisers more. Three of the four MBs I built are cruisers and almost everyone prefers those.

Where is the "front derailleur"?
And I understand the situation with the narrow tires. Thanks.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
The dohicky (technical term, I know) right above the front chain ring that switches gears for the front. Bottom part of the seat tube, right above the bottom bracket. That thingamajig is right about where the rear motor mount will clamp to the seat tube so it's possible it will get in your way. If it does, just put the chain on the big ring and remove the derailleur as you won't be shifting anyway. You only need enough gear to get going and then the motor will do the rest.

parkjehhyun

Sep 13, 2009
fullerton, ca
Alright, bumping this thread for anyone else who may have something to input. There's been three votes for the "Other" motor type and there has only been one suggestion.

So is RAW from zone8 a good buy?

jay sawdust

Aug 11, 2009
kauai,hawaii
Just so you have more than one sugestion.......I have 2 motors so far...my first was a grubee skyhawk from bikeberry....i realy like it....ive had no problems with it so i couldent say anything about customer service....but other companys sell grubee as well.....second motor i tryed to save a few bucks and went with boygofast.....free shipping to anywhere in the U.S....till they emailed me that hawaii isent concidered part of the U.S. some say continental U.S......anyways they had charged my c.c. but i owed them 48 bucks shipping....motor had a stripped head stud ,lousy fasteners....anyways....i say forget them....as sold as i am on the grubee skyhawk...I think im gonna go with thats dax for my next motor...Ive heard so many good things here.....hope this helps

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Grubee Skyhawk from Bikeberry or Spookytooth!

I've got a "Black Stallion" from King's and a Grubee from Bikeberry (another Grubee comin' from Spooky)...

Night and day ******* difference I tell you, the King's one was scratched, dented, and very poorly cast and all the components (like carb) are the lowest quality of these kits.

While the Grubee is no Mercedes, it is much nicer all around and many of the components are better - like having the correct carb properly jetted for the 66cc for one, instead of just a 49cc carb thrown into the box to "complete" the kit.

Also a tip, if you want a black kit - get an unpainted one and paint it yourself. Not only are these paint jobs done in a hurry (drips, overspray, etc) but I suspect they take the worst looking motors with gobby casts, dents, and scratches and paint them to try and make them look better.

If you take your time with light, multiple coats while the engine is off the bike you'll have a FAR better finish.

After all, you love your bike, they're just tryin' to sell the dang things lol and it's just a $20 dollar difference after all, the 6 month warranty outa be worth that much ;)

Besides, I'm pretty sure the Black Stallion "80cc" isn't $119 anymore, I think they cost the same as a Grubee now...

Last edited:

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
Thatsdax and zone8, ive spoke with both, bought a zone8 and turned out to be a bad one, i wated to long and warranty was no longer good, they sent me out a new motor at a discounted price free shipping and a new 90 day warranty, the new motor is awesome running very strong, my buddy is sold on the dax motors and they run strong too there is very little difference in the good quality of both retailers, good luck on your build, the more comfort ride is sitting up with bigger tires, i would avoid leaning forward as on a road bike!!!

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
You are mistaken and Kingsmotors is Zoom and a competitor of BGF so I thought I'd correct you because you were wrong. :)

I've done business with all the above vendors and problems always taken care of. Zoom/Kingsmotors somewhat better than BGF if you need hand holding.
Thanks for correcting me....I have e-mails from them and it is a different site I checked....
I think that bike is going to beat you to death along with tons of flats....When you get an engine on it let me how she rides....I might be wrong and it will be ok,but in my experience you have to have heavy duty rims 26x2.25 (12 gage spokes to keep from getting bent rims)with some fat tires for comfort....
John-John

Last edited:

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I think that bike is going to beat you to death along with tons of flats....When you get an engine on it let me how she rides....I might be wrong and it will be ok,but in my experience you have to have heavy duty rims 26x2.25 (12 gage spokes to keep from getting bent rims)with some fat tires for comfort....
I second that. I switched to mountain bikes after countless flats and more than a few bent rims.

Skinny 10 speeds worked ok for my small friction motors (27cc-33cc) but too fragile for the speed and weight of HTs. If it's all you have and you ride carefully they do work and have advantage of easy install.