crzy idea..

GoldenMotor.com

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
I've been eyeballing it for a month or two now... The idea of a multiple geared engine.. I always see multispeed bikes on eBay, and I was wondering if anyone out there has thought of the possibility of engineering a left side mounted shimano type derailleur... Ideally a 3 speed, one large low speed gear with big torque (like 60+ teeth) then the standard 36-44 tooth, then a small tooth for top speed (like 27 teeth).. I think the biggest trick would be making a chain guard to enclose the drive chain should it slip,break, and go flying..

is this possible? any thoughts?.wee.

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
if you look at the setup for a multi-speed pedal bike, they have a cartridge of gears and a swing arm that pulls the chain to the proper gear when you shift.. The question was: has anyone tried to make something like this for the drive-chain (left hand) side of the bike, as the derailluer (technical term for the swing arm) is a right-side mounted item..

KULUKIN

May 2, 2009
Burbank, CA
Why reverse engineer what you already have? I know it would be cool to have that independent shifting, but a jackshaft still works, and its cheaper.