Making a torque pipe

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
So the first mod I want to put on my bike is a torque pipe, I want to make it myself. Does anyone have plans for one? I would like the pipe to give me more hill climbing power, as well as a higher top speed, and faster acceleration, but not sound like a chainsaw, if possible, although noise is not as much of an issue, I live in a rural area where I often see ATVs, golf carts, dirt bikes, tractors, and all sorts of homemade 2 stroke motorbikes using stuff like lawnmower and weed whacker engines, all driving on the dirt roads in my neighborhood, and nobody cares. I have heard good things about a pipe designed by a guy named jaguar, anyone built one? Any help appreciated.

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
realize your talking about a 1hp difference in midrange power from two different pipes. what you should focus on is finding rpm's and perfect tune. the sbp or proma gp clamp on is a great choice till you pass 8-9000 rpm. below 4000 rpm anything has potential really but something like the mini 2stroke atv exhausts will be the best down low.

Last edited:

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
im sorry i read to fast for my own good. i have a hebo and sbp and stock cag pipes here. the best one for a cag is the cag pipe with 4 inches added. but i think the proma gp.......

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I have experemented with pipes and found that a 16 inch head pipe from head to chamber will increase low end torque, Dave31 found the same when building pipes also. Like said above there is no one miracle trick to increase power and speed, its many small upgrades combined that when done properly will help greatly.

Last edited:

djpass7

Oct 13, 2014
Chico, CA
For my gt5, the torque pipe i built made it into a bike that could wheely and it added 6 mph to the top end compared to my modded exhaust and 14 mph more than a stock exhaust. A good expansion chamber is the single most upgrade that will give you the most performance for your buck.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
My Torque pipe, which was not perfect, but made my bike wheelie also, with a nice boost as low as 4000, however limited my revs to around 8500, that's with a fairly restrictive and effective silencer though, was touching 9000 with out silencer.
KTM pipe comes on a little later, but goes above 10 000 easily, more power, but also more noise.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
My needs were different than most because I built my pipes for a 48cc engine, the best pipe I have is the one with the long head pipe. The top end is not that much faster, maybe 2mph.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I am planning to mod it more as time goes on, but for now, anyone have a good design that will send my bike in the direction I described in the first post? I know I'm not going to get everything perfect from one mod.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
My Torque pipe, which was not perfect, but made my bike wheelie also, with a nice boost as low as 4000, however limited my revs to around 8500, that's with a fairly restrictive and effective silencer though, was touching 9000 with out silencer.
KTM pipe comes on a little later, but goes above 10 000 easily, more power, but also more noise.
I hadn't built a torque pipe yet, but if I do I'll probably do a few minor changes to enhance the top end performance for more speed and decent acceleration. The angles of the cones are still good in the design but I'd add more diameter to the stinger to make it less restrictive and allow more rpm as well as still having power at the higher rpm's, I would also build it as a side bleed for quieter operation without the need for a muffler, but a free flowing muffler could still be used to run even quieter.

The pipe I'm using now is the KTM 50 pipe which lets the rpm go above the 10k mark rather easily and it starts to kick in at around 4500 rpm since I added in 4" more to the belly section. It was working good at stock length but it did take a bit more rpm before it really kicked in, it was also a bit stronger above 9k rpm but it's still not too bad.

I was on ebay a few days ago and saw somebody had 2 kx65 pipes they were selling both for $40 so I snatched them up before anyone else saw them and I plan on making one fit at stock length then add in some header length if the powerband starts too high up. I still want to make a torque pipe to play around with as well but since I got such a good deal on the kx pipes I'll be making my next 2 pipes out of those first.

CarpsCustoms

Jan 27, 2014
Waterbury, Connecticut