Magneto wet with gas/oil

GoldenMotor.com

520titan

Mar 30, 2012
tucson
so my bike is not getting a spark, replaced the cdi and the carburator neithher worked, cheked the magneto and it has gas/oil on it. i there a thread already dedicated to what to do if this happens? sorry if there is.bf.

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
Gas and oil are insulators, not conductors, they aren't the problem. Doesn't mean the winding isn't bad but that's not what caused it. I see you replaced the carburetor which leads me to believe you haven't actually verified you have no spark. The carb is completely unrelated to the electrical system so there's no reason to replace it if you have a no-spark issue. Once you've actually verified you have no spark, get back to us.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
There is a seal behind the rotor, if it has gone bad you will get gas on your magneto killing it. Also, if you flood the motor it can cause gas to come out of the seal when trying to start the motor.

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
Mine is drenched in gas/oil and has been almost since the day I've got. Never had a problem with it. You do know that oil is used to cool transformers, right? Epoxy isn't affected by oils/petrolates.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mine is drenched in gas/oil and has been almost since the day I've got. Never had a problem with it. You do know that oil is used to cool transformers, right? Epoxy isn't affected by oils/petrolates.
What Dave is saying, Mike, is that fuel/oil in the magneto case is usually an indication that the crankshaft seal behind the rotor(magnet) is defective. That can create some problems in the way the engine runs and performs because a bad seal usually will allow air to enter the crankcase and cause a lean condition much the same as an air leak in the induction circuit would. Eventually the gasoline will attack the insulation surrounding the coil windings. You've been lucky. Keep riding until something goes haywire then you'll see what we're talking about. Me thinks it's just a matter of time.
Tom

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
I've already said it but obviously I need to repeat it:

Gasoline has no effect on cured epoxy*. It, nor oil, has any effect on it.

*epoxy is what the coating on the coil wire is made of. It's what the coating on all magnet wire is made of: from speaker voice-coils to electric fuel-pump motors(which are bathed in gasoline, by the way)

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Some epoxy's will dissolve in fuel!!! Ask anyone who built a KR2 years ago and followed the plans. After 2 years the fuel tanks start dissolving.
I don't think the china engines coils are made to any high tech spec. so keeping the coil dry and free of oil and fuel is a good thing.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Funny, but the same guy who is convinced that the Chinese epoxy is so indestructible is the same one who in many of his other posts insists that the Chines HT is a pile of junk and the quality is bad. Hmmm.

Tom