engine will not fire

GoldenMotor.com

shaver

Mar 24, 2012
mississippi
I noticed that the piston does not rotate down enough for gas to enter the from the carburetor. It goes up and down, but stops short of allowing gas to enter the cylinder. At its lowest point you can still see the piston covering the entire intake port that the carb is attached. Do you have any advise?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Welcome to the forum shaver. It's not little shaver is it? J/K lol

You know there's a lot of different kinds of motors, but I assume you probably have a china girl style motor like most of us.

What you may not know is, since it's a 2 stroke, the intake happens under the piston. As the piston rises toward TDC the bottom of the skirt exposes the crankcase to the intake port. The intake charge is sucked in under the piston, into the crankcase.

When the piston goes down toward BDC, the charge in the crankcase is pushed up the transfer ports to the top of the piston.

Some genius must have thought of it because it really works well. Don't feel bad, I never knew much about how a 2 stroke works either till I got my first motor bicycle.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I noticed that the piston does not rotate down enough for gas to enter the from the carburetor. It goes up and down, but stops short of allowing gas to enter the cylinder. At its lowest point you can still see the piston covering the entire intake port that the carb is attached. Do you have any advise?
Quit lookin at the piston and peddle LOL

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
OK !
a chinagirl.

Al.Fisherman and a few others have wrote up complete diagnostic threads you would find very valuable...
Best to read them, then you get a real education, which you WILL need, as operator of one of these machines!

...You will find the advice to 1st disconnect your kill button wires untial all other diagnosis is completed...

Then, pull the plug and check if it's wet with fuel.
If it IS, have a friend help you hold the rear of the bike up and turn the back wheel, and see if the plug is sparking when removed from the engine. You will need to ground it against the cylinder head while turning the engine over.
The factory plugs are always suspect. Replace it with an NGK.

Review those threads for more info. :)
Good luck
rc

Don't worry abt the piston for a while... lol

shaver

Mar 24, 2012
mississippi
Can you use a drill or something like that to put a socket on the engine to see if it will fire....after disconnecting the chain..I have worn myself out trying to ride it around with no success in firing.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Can you use a drill or something like that to put a socket on the engine to see if it will fire....after disconnecting the chain..I have worn myself out trying to ride it around with no success in firing.
Yes. Remove both the chain and the spark plug, spin with a drill and 14mm socket, while grounding the spark plug against the head. Spin clockwise so the nut won't try to come off.
Here I use a drill and I made a test light so I can see that the coil is putting out.. Radio Shack LED 12V.

This tells me the coil is working. You can use a Volt/ohm meter also.

Last edited:

shaver

Mar 24, 2012
mississippi
I tried pouring gas down the plug hole but still does not fire. With plug out and against the cylinder the plug fires, however the plug never seems to appear to come in contact with gas. If the plug is firing why would it not try to start when poured down the cylinder?

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I would hit it with some starter fluid. These things are really hard to start if you have too much oil in the gas...also never mix oil in the tank unless you shut the valve to the carb the oil will sink to the bottom and foul the plug.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I would hit it with some starter fluid. These things are really hard to start if you have too much oil in the gas...also never mix oil in the tank unless you shut the valve to the carb the oil will sink to the bottom and foul the plug.
That's how I start mine every time, for the first start up a day. You can also use throttle body cleaner. I drilled a small hole in my filter cover.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I always just start peddling and rolling the throttle. Every motor I've had started up almost right away. No choke.

shaver

Mar 24, 2012
mississippi
I still can't get the motor to fire. The plug against the cylinder is firing, it appears to have gas on the plug when removed. If the gas is mixed to rih (50..1) will that cause it not to fire.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I still can't get the motor to fire. The plug against the cylinder is firing, it appears to have gas on the plug when removed. If the gas is mixed to rih (50..1) will that cause it not to fire.
Where in Mississippi? Check the woodruff key in the magnet.

If key is sheared/missing, the spark plug will still fire, but not at the correct time.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

no, that won't cause it not to start.

It sounds like it should start.

Try peddleing up to about 7 or 8 mph. Let the clutch out, and keep peddling hard to hold your speed. Start working the throttle. Give it full throttle for a second or two, then roll it back a little to maybe half, and roll it on some more. Keep doing that and at some point between half and full throttle you should hear it start trying to fire. There's going to be some certain point where it likes to start. You have to find it, by rolling the throttle around.

Last edited:

shaver

Mar 24, 2012
mississippi
I took both magneto and clutch housings off and pushed the bike with the clutch out and the gear around the clutch only moves occassionally, thus the magneto magnet, and shaft turning the piston, only rotated occassionally rather than consistantly. That's why I'm riding with no firing. How do I make adjustment to the clutch to make it tighter.