Can I use a crimped cable end to adjust throttle cable?

GoldenMotor.com

homejones

Jul 4, 2011
Lostville
Hi, I have a CNS2 carb on a Grubee GT5. I want to adjust the size of the throttle cable (shorten). Rather than using Norm's cable shortening method, can I use a small cable crimp on the end? I have some tiny one here. Not sure if there are any issues I should be aware of.

Second, when shortening the cable housing, do I absolutely need to crimp a new cable ferrule on the end the shortened cable housing?

Thanks!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
As long as there is no interference and the crimp is done correctly it should work. Crimped/swedged cable ends have been used in industry and aviation for years.
You have little to loose by trying it.
Let us know how it works for you.
Tom

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Crimped or not, a dab o'solder will provide peace o'mind ;)

As for the ferrule - it all depends what the housing is going into, if the hole is larger than the cables inner core it might cause problems by pushing back the outer housing... but that's rare.

BTW - surprisingly, the Bell brand 'Bikefix' brake & gear cable set often available at the dreaded Walmart for only about five bucks is actually pretty good quality - it comes w/four cables, eight ferrules & four crimp caps and the brake cables are perfect for throttles (thicker/better cables than most stock kit stuff) The price is great fer ..."experimenting" :D

I mighta gotten four or five packs of 'em to do the test routing for the custom length brakes, shifters & throttles on my latest project lol

Last edited: