Ready to pull the trigger

GoldenMotor.com

jerrydellg

Apr 28, 2011
louisiana
I've been researching here and elsewhere for a week now and I want to run some things by ya'll to see if I'm on the right track. My first step tomorrow is going to be to contact my local PD(Lake Charles,LA) and find out what their policy is on motorized bikes. State law says anyhthing under 50cc is essentially a bike (pedal assist). I need to make sure if the bike I plan to build with a 48cc engine is going to cause a problem with the local fuzz as registering and insuring is not part of my plan. Once I get that issue cleared up my next step will be the right bike for me. I have a 26" huffy cranbrook right now and I've been advised to consider a different bike for a first build. The main point seems to be that the curve of the down tube will most likely require some modification/fabrication to get the the front engine mount to attach. As I don't have access to a shop or any fancy tools like a drill press or welding machine the suggestion I'm inferring is that I should go with a diamond frame. The other issue I see with the cranbrook is that it seems imperative that I have something other than the factory coaster brake. Again, without tools to fabricate, I would be lacking in the area of brakes. I checked out disc brake kits and they cost more than I paid for the bike. SO....my thinking is to get a bike with a diamond frame so the engine bolts in easily. Get a bike with brakes included (in my price range that probably means "v"style brakes but,from what I've read they're better than coaster brake only). I may try to find something a walmart when I return my cranbrook tomorrow. With the above criteria in mind I hope to find something like a cruiser but with a diamond frame and brakes. I like the sittin' upright feel of the cruisers. I've just not seen one with a straight down tube. I'll probably check out pawn shops and goodwill/salvation army(sal's boutique)too. Is there anyhthing some of you more experienced guys can suggest I look for when buying the bike? Like what to look for with motor-chain side clearance should be? I was looking at the grubee skyhawk 48cc engine kit. Any comments on that kit? Know any other less-than-50cc engine kits that are good?

jerrydellg

Apr 28, 2011
louisiana
Thanks for the info. I checked out the universal mount from sick bike. That part would allow me to attach a motor to any curved downtube so ,theoretically I could get any cruiser/comfort bike with a curved downtube as long as it has hand brakes? The landmark looks cool. Any particular reason you mentioned it? Have you ever installed a motor on one?

jerrydellg

Apr 28, 2011
louisiana
OK. Got two more steps done this morning. Called the Lake Charles,LA police and asked about their mb policy. Pretty much what I figured: they abide by the state law which says anything under 50cc is just a bike-no liscence/registration/insurance required. Then I returned my huffy cranbrook to wally world and got the schwinn that was suggested I get....well not exactly. It was suggested(above)that I get a shwinn landmark. The install on it for a first timer was said to be easy. I got the schwinn clairmont instead. It had some upgraded features but was the same frame as the landmark. Does anyone out there have a clairmont that they installed a motor on? Is it an easy install for a beginner? It was suggested that I get the front mount kit from sick bikes for the landmark. I assume it will work the same for the clairmont?

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Yes it will work on the Clairmont. I don't get a commission from SBP and I'm not affiliated with them in any way but as long as you are ordering the front mount I would also get a fuel filter, petcock valve, dual pull brake lever and spark plug cable, you're going to need them.

jerrydellg

Apr 28, 2011
louisiana
Thank you for your help. I can feel this thing starting to come together. It's exciting. Like christmas when I was a kid.

jerrydellg

Apr 28, 2011
louisiana
I just looked up the parts you suggested. I have enough money for the engine kit right now but the parts....Ican see how I'll need the universal engine mount and dual pull brake lever (to free up space on my handlebar for the clutch,right?)but the petcock valve,fuel filter and spark plug wire? I can wait to get those til later? I mean the setup will work without them for a couple weeks? What's the petcock valve for anyway? I know it'll turn the gas flow off and on,but, why do I need to be able to do that?

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Turning the gas flow on and off isn't the most important thing. The petcock that comes with the kit has a bogus fine screen filter that goes inside the tank and will plug up with black paint chips from around the gas cap within a week. The plug wire that comes with the kit has a bakelite boot that you will most likely break the first time you try and put it on the spark plug.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
actually, i have attached a rear hand brake to a cranbrook. the cranbrook is my current bike. i no longer have the handbrake, but never had any problems with the coaster brake. its not the curvature of the down tube, but rather its diameter, that poses a problem. here is how i solved it. i took a seat post, bolted it to the front engine mount. so its as if the seat post is the down tube. you may need a rubber shim for the seat post, as it may be slightly smaller than the engine mount. i then purchased a 2" exhaust clamp from my local auto parts store, and clamped the seat post to the bike frame. trust me, it works. however, i recently purchased a new engine from lucky early bird on ebay. $75, plus 15 for shipping. when i pulled the engine out of the box, i discovered that the front engine mount will fit the cranbrook's oversized down tube with no modification. i do not know if their kits come with the same engine, but it is as simple as asking them if you would like to know for yourself. i believe the cranbrook makes a fine mb. i have been riding mine for almost a year, and the bike has held up better than the engines i've used, lol.

jerrydellg

Apr 28, 2011
louisiana
I don't know. I already have the new schwinn. I was told hand brakes were important. I wish there was some sort of resource where you could find out what engine kits go best with what bikes and what accessories you'll need to be safe.