$10 Oil breather cap carb intake air cleaner hack.

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
Last wens-day i took my bike out for a bought of employment application canvassing when to my
great disgust i realized i had lost my stock air filter of the carburetor. I guess this is one of the
reasons everyone greately stresses to regularly check your bikes nuts and bolts to be sure nothing
will rattle off, it could have been worse like a possible engine mount going and jamming up your power train and sending oneself flying over the handlebars. .kick2.kick2

Anyway after a quick trip to my local Oreilys Auto-parts store i found a rather interesting and mildly compatible MR Gasket Co brand Oil Breather cap that only required about 15 minutes of dremmeling and a few drill bits, one Computer shell screw, and $9.74 +tax. When everything was said and done i had a rather amazing professionally looking replacement air filter.

I was able to take a few pictures of the assembly minus the bicycle install as my girlfriend has yet to find the appropriate cable for her external digicam and i am forced to use her i-Mac's built in camera

Well i got some more pictures of the moped transfered off of my girlfriends digital camera. as you can see the baby is nowhere close to stock, with a good ole american recast cyclinder, head, #RL95YC Champion spark plug, new silicon high temperature spark plug boot and wire going to stock coil( for the time being until i start making my own coils), bastardized lawn mower fuel tank, fuel grade line, fuel filter and fuel shutoff valve. Recently i have updated to rather nice reproduction schwinn sting ray reproduction handle bars i got from a local bicycle store called Re-Cycle Home Page located in down town Omaha,NE.

Below are some newer better images of the build.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool Indus. Looks great and it is always more fun to mod some thing then to buy it.

Kinda has a Euro look to it

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
actually their are some more things i want to do with it, gotta figure out a way to make the mating surface a little nicer, second i need to find a thiner effective filter medium as the 1 1/2" foam that comes with the cleaner starves the carb of air. what i will probably end up doing is stuffing the cleaner with expanded cotton-balls pulled out and a piece of finer grade wire mesh to keep the filter medium from clogging the air intake.

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
Why is the intake manifold on upside down?

Carb should be level to work as designed.
LOL...

I know, i have recently taken care of that little detail. For some time i was wondering why my bike would kinda sputter out when really cranking the accelerator. reason being i was running out of fuel in my bowl!