1st Build- 90s Huffy 1950 Monet Goyon Tribute

GoldenMotor.com

Radar00

Apr 28, 2016
PA
Well I found an old 90s Huffy Santa Fe in a junk shop a while back. Complete with Kenda Flames. I was inspired by this:

A while back I had make dropout extensions to stretch the bike out a bit.

Today I decided to paint the frame, tank and fenders. I'll be getting a much larger tank once my paycheck comes but for now this will have to do. I had already packed the crank with grease so I just duct-taped it up to paint over it. Interestingly enough, when I got the bike it still had a good amount of grease on it. Not sure if that was from factory or the previous owner taking care of it but anyways, they don't make em like they used to. This bike weighs atleast a third more than my other el-cheapo modern walmart cranbrook

I'm not usually into light colored bikes but I figure it will atleast help with visibility and the original Monet Goyon looks pretty nice.

Things to do once I get paid-
-Get a bigger tank
-Disc Brakes
-Look around for a vintage headlamp
-Get some conduit to bend for a straight pipe style exhaust

In addition I'll probably be switching the front forks with springers if I can find some

Last edited:

Radar00

Apr 28, 2016
PA
Heres the mockup so far.
'

I have so many parts lying around I forgot I happened to have a 3/4 weld steel tube. The same diameter as the muffler tube. I don't have a conduit bender so I'll have to torque it myself in a vice but it just so happens, in lieu of sand. I have a bunch of quickcrete. Should work as long as I don't get it wet. This should help with the straight pipe look I want.

Due to the dropout extensions I have to get another chain and hook them together for the proper length as the bike now has a pretty long wheelbase but atleast to me, it looks and feels lot more balanced. The tank is laughably small with these kits so hopefully I'll be replacing it with a 5L tank in the future.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Look up big beam flashlight on eBay. Take the lamp off, and use a 3/4" conduit hanger to blot it to the stem of your bike.

Bike looks good!

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
I wish I had a better picture than this, but the bike is kind of trapped behind a ton of other bikes now. It's an "in-progress" picture, so it's not finished here. You get the idea though. It looks clean, it's simple, and very cheap. The back part of the light can be used as a tail light, and the battery tin is great for, well, holding a small battery!

This is the kind I bought. I got it for $15 shipped. As you can see, it has a headlamp, tail lamp, and battery box! I love it.

Last edited:

Radar00

Apr 28, 2016
PA
Thanks for the heads up. I like that headlamp and have one on order along with a bunch of other parts. This weekend has been quite frustrating as well as productive. I mocked up the bike with the regular kit, the twist throttle broke when the throttle cable bound up so thats in the trash. I rigged a break lever to work as a throttle in the mean time. I also had issues with the chain but finally managed to get that fixed to and finally get the bike started. Now I have more work to do.

-Cut and re-weld the exhaust with my newly bent straight pipe.
-Create brackets for a headlamp I found as well as hook up the LEDs to this headlamp.

The rest will be a waiting game for the gas tank and some other parts to be shipped to finish this build

dance1