Cranbrook rear hub replacements????

GoldenMotor.com

Ggradtech

Jun 3, 2015
Arizona
I'm thinking at some point I want to switch out my rear hub with something better. If I were to install a dual-action front/rear handbrake, could I replace the coaster type hub with a hub that is freewheel? Sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology. I'm new at this. Any parts/ links would help too if anyone knows of a good substitution. Thanks everyone!!

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
You can actually convert the coaster to a freewheel. What you do (you should look up a YouTube video, this is really just a basic description) is take the hub apart and remove the brake shoes and clutch spring, then place 3 washers in place of the clutch spring and you will have a silent freewheel. This way you don't need to buy a new wheel or a hub to lace in. You can also buy a bigger pedal cog for the rear hub to make pedaling a little easier.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I've heard of converting a single-speed to a freewheel. Like dtv5403 mentions. But I've also heard that it can be a bit tricky.

Another option is to go to a place like www.niagaracycle.com

Look up "Shimano CB-E110" in the search box. For about $22.00, if I remember right, you can get a hub that's the same dimensions as yours, but better.

Then look up 'lacing a wheel' on youtube. Lacing a wheel is easier than you might think. And it's a handy talent to have.

You'll have a fine wheel in the end.

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
I had a shimano coaster hub on a pedal bike once. The shoes would grab so hard that I would fishtail down the road.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
No, it wasn't a lack of grease. I service all my hubs personally. I take the whole thing apart and coat everything liberally with red tacky grease. Had the generic coaster hubs, never fishtailed with them. The shimano hub is great, but the shoes do grab really hard because they are better made than the shoes in the generic hubs. Converting a coaster to freewheel is not tricky as long as you put the 3 washers to replace the clutch spring, it worked fine for me and all I did was look up a video on YouTube. And my personal opinion is that converting his hub to freewheel would be cheaper and less time consuming than buying and lacing in a new hub. Besides that, he can replace the coaster with a rim brake, which I also think is a better choice.

jgd1127

Oct 13, 2015
dillsburg
Does anyone know the size of the hub on a huffy cranbrook want to get a hub adapter but not sure if its 1.5 inches or smaller or larger thank you