First run today!

GoldenMotor.com

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
We'll the day finally came and the bike ran really well as far as I know. The engine was used so I wasn't sure if Old issues would come up. I have a SBP expansion chamber and Jag cdi. I noticed the engine was kind of "poppy" in the lower RPMs but smoothed out really well with more throttle. Is that normal?
I'm running it at 25:1 as someone suggested. I have good idle.
Thanks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Congratulations, Toothy. You're on your way to lots more fun.
Not sure what "poppy" means but as long as the engine is secured to the frame well and runs good you should be okay. Can you explain "poppy"?

25:1 is alright but you'll have many tell you to drop your oil content down to about 32:1. If the engine was used then it is a good bet it has already seen some run time and can be considered broken in. A good idle is also good news. That probably means no air (vacuum) leaks to worry about.

Have fun and ride safe.

Tom

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Hey Tom,
By "poppy" I guess, like Mini backfires. Once I get going that stops and it smooths out. I don't know how better to describe it. It performed well....fun.
Rich

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
"Fun" is always a great outcome for the first fire-up!! Sure as heck beats the other alternatives.

It will surely get more 'fun' as you progress. Good luck!!

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
"Fun" is always a great outcome for the first fire-up!! Sure as heck beats the other alternatives.

It will surely get more 'fun' as you progress. Good luck!!
Thanks! I read a lot and took my time. I think I avoided many of the usual pit falls because of this site. I will be sure to post anything that could be of use. Time will tell though.....I'm sure I'll run into a snag soon enough.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Advice I always give to new riders is stay alert while riding. Other drivers some times see you but think you're on a pedal only bicycle and will pull out in front of you. They don't realize how fast you're going.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Advice I always give to new riders is stay alert while riding. Other drivers some times see you but think you're on a pedal only bicycle and will pull out in front of you. They don't realize how fast you're going.
This is great advice..... hwve had this happen to me and had it almost happen several times because like you said people see a bike and think of a bicycle just toodling along towards them instead of it moving about 3-4 times that speed, people on their phone are bad about not paying attention when a car or tduck is coming and this lack of att ntion seems to multiply when Im on a motorcycle or a motorized bike, super defensive riding is a must inorder to stay safe......

Map
.wee.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Hey Tom,
By "poppy" I guess, like Mini backfires. Once I get going that stops and it smooths out. I don't know how better to describe it. It performed well....fun.
Rich
I'd say it's running a tad rich because of the x-chamber. I've heard it on almost all bikes with an x-chamber. Normal stuff I'd say.

Good to hear it's going nicely for you now. :)

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
I'd say it's running a tad rich because of the x-chamber. I've heard it on almost all bikes with an x-chamber. Normal stuff I'd say.

Good to hear it's going nicely for you now. :)
Thanks,
Had my first issue, the gas line nipple worked loose at the tank and gas went everywhere. It happened just as i pulled up at home thank goodness. I'm going to try 50:1 and see how it does. Seems 'rough' in the lower RPMs.....will that help u think?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks,
Had my first issue, the gas line nipple worked loose at the tank and gas went everywhere. It happened just as i pulled up at home thank goodness. I'm going to try 50:1 and see how it does. Seems 'rough' in the lower RPMs.....will that help u think?

If it's running a little rich on fuel already, 50:1 is actually a richer fuel mix and may increase the 4 stroking, but if you are running an oil that is recommended @ 50:1 mix you can give it a try and see how it does, I'd just ride a few miles and then back home let engine cool for 10-15 minutes and then pull spark plug and see what color it is if you noticed the four stroking was reduced or practically eliminated after changing the mix.

Sorry to high jack here dodgedude, I know toothy was thanking you for your input, I just wanted to comment here hoping to maybe help also.

Map

Last edited:

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
I wouldn't recommend 50:1 oil ratio unless you're using good quality synthetic oil. Its better to use a little too much oil than not enough. Fouled spark plugs are easier & cheaper to replace than wasted rings and bearings. I always keep a spare spark plug & wrench in my tool bag at all times just for that. 32:1 ratio is what I run and that's with El Cheapo wallyworld generic outboard 2cycle oil. But for luck & good wishes, I add a splash of Marvel Mystery oil to it also(maybe as much as an ounce?), just to play it safe.

Almost everyone using a decent X pipe will report popping, it's normal.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I wouldn't recommend 50:1 oil ratio unless you're using good quality synthetic oil. Its better to use a little too much oil than not enough. Fouled spark plugs are easier & cheaper to replace than wasted rings and bearings. I always keep a spare spark plug & wrench in my tool bag at all times just for that. 32:1 ratio is what I run and that's with El Cheapo wallyworld generic outboard 2cycle oil. But for luck & good wishes, I add a splash of Marvel Mystery oil to it also(maybe as much as an ounce?), just to play it safe.

Almost everyone using a decent X pipe will report popping, it's normal.
Great advice Dave

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Thanks guys.....its difficult to figure out a baseline / normal. Where can I pick out a quality oil if you don't mind...?

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I use the Echo 50:1 mix that I use in my weed whacker.........just eliminates having an extra gas can in the garage. My Echo trimmer is 9 years old and is still in perfect condition. Good enough for me!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I use the Echo 50:1 mix that I use in my weed whacker.........just eliminates having an extra gas can in the garage. My Echo trimmer is 9 years old and is still in perfect condition. Good enough for me!
I agree with xseler, the Echo oil is a quality oil and should give good service in your china girl engine with a well tuned carb, Lucas also makes a synthetic blemd oil that I think would be a good choice, the Echo oil can be bought at any Home Depot Store which makes it a good choice if you have a Home Depot close by.

Map

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you have good luck with outboard oil, good for you but... Outboard oil is formulated for water cooled engines that typically run cooler than air cooled ones. As long as the engine isn't abused, run at WOT in hot weather or under heavy loads the outboard oil might be sufficient. Just be aware that most aren't made for air cooled engines.

There are outboard oils available that specifically say "can be used in air cooled engines" but if they don't you could see a lack of lubrication due to the oil breaking down with heat.
Something else to keep in mind is that our bike engines, especially the Chinese 2 stroke, does not have any internal cooling capacity. Unlike lawn and garden equipment that utilize cooling fans and shrouding, our engines rely on moving air passing over the cooling fins of the cylinder and cylinder head to dissipate heat. Long term idling or slow riding in hot weather can stress your oil/lubrication.

Tom

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
You're dead on with that info Tom, the one serious engine failure I've had was before I went to Opti2 and I was running Mercury Quick Silver outboard oil, its a high quality oil but not for air cooled engines and at wot I blew an engine on it.

Map
.wee.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The opposite can be true if using some air cooled oils in an outboard. If the oil can't reach its design operating temperature it can clog critical oil passages in the crank and connecting rod bearings. That can be as bad as the oil breaking down. This isn't a myth either. I've seen outboard engines ruined from lack of lubrication and clogged oil passages was the culprit.

Tom

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
Thanks for the oil info Tom, I did not know that! After 48 years on the planet, I'm still learning stuff. I baby my bike around town, usually cruising at 20 to 25 MPH, light throttle (less than 1/2), on account of the harsh vibes it produces. Well, that on top of the rigid frame & an unsprung banana seat that kicks my @$$ over 30! But before I retarded my mag rotor with a rocket key, it was so bad that even with locktight & double nuts, it would still rattle stuff loose. My chain guard tore through the metal tab that bolts to the motor, got to work one morning & discovered it missing. Metal tab was still attached to the motor but the guard had torn free. I want my bike to last a while, I may occasionally rip it wide open on accelleration but once I get it up to speed I back off. If I'm at a red light for more than 30 seconds, I kill it & bump it off when the light turns green to save gas. Because of my riding habits, in addition to the extra Marvel Mystry Oil that I add to the mix, that may be why I haven't noticed any lubrication issues so far. There are no steep hills here and I barely tip the scales at 150 fully dressed with a full belly, so my bike doesn't see 'Heavy' loads.

After reading all of this, now I'm thinking I should quit being stingy with money when I purchase oil for my bike. There are several motor bike shops here in my town, I'm sure that SOMEone stocks good quality synthetic 2 cycle oil like Opti2, and if push comes to shove there's always the internet.