New Newb Big Time

GoldenMotor.com

Crusade

Oct 1, 2013
Appleton Wisconsin
Hello!

I have been reading for weeks and cannot believe how much information and support is on this forum. I've had my fair share of hobbies over the years and have visited many many forums but have never come across such an up beat positive forum.

Pulled my fathers 75 cb750four out of the barn 6 months ago and started rebuilding it. It has been sitting for over 15 years. Got her going and suddenly had flashbacks to dumping it and getting some pretty good rash. Decided I should start small and work my back up!

Well this is where the motorized bicycle comes in. Made a silly silly uneducated craigslist purchase on impulse and boy am I ashamed. Knowing a thing or two about motorcycles and cars I felt comfortable in my purchase. Unfortunately I didn't know a darn thing about bicycles.

I have since then stripped the entire motorized bicycle and thrown away 75% of the death trap and have started fresh. I will say I rode said deathtrap just long enough to get the itch!

Quick question. Having difficulties with chain length on drive side (engine). It is too short. The only thing I can think of us the adapter I had to use for my large tube frame has my engine at a pitch that is not allowing for the desired slack?

Thanks

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome!!

If you get one of these tensioners from Turbobuick1, the chain slack won't really be an issue. Good luck with your build!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum, Crusade. We're glad you've joined us.

As for your chain issue; is this a new installation or are you simply re-doing what you have? Different bike? Different engine? 2 stroke or 4? We need a little more information about what you have.

If a new bike then the chain was probably sized for the original and you'll either need a new chain or to lengthen yours.

Tom

Crusade

Oct 1, 2013
Appleton Wisconsin
Sheesh talk about a fast response.

2 Stroke, SD Stinger Motor. Purchased second hand but from a gentleman who did not seem skilled enough to change chain length. It is going from a mountain bike frame to a cruiser frame (cranbrook, yeah, I know).

Is anyway of knowing what my from factory length should be?

The position of where the motor is mounted does not seem likely eh?

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
My Skyhawk is in a 'Cranbrook' frame.....seems like I had to shorten the factory chain about 7 or 8 links, if I remember correctly.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You can easily adjust chain length by adding shims behind the rear motor mount block.
Just make the chain slightly long and shim till it's right. No tensioner required!
That said, I simply tack weld the tensioner to the frame stay for security on sale builds.
Much easier and still reliable.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Original chain length isn't important, Chain tension after installation is. You'll want 1/2" to 3/4" slack. As I said above, if your chain is too short you'll need to replace it with a new chain or add links to make it longer. To add links you'll have to know exactly what chain you have. If it is the original kit supplied #415, you'll need #415 links.
My advice would be to replace the chain with an industrial quality #41 chain and shorten it to give you the recommended slack.
Are you using a chain tensioner? There are many Cranbrook builds here. Use the search feature, keyword 'Cranbrook' to see what others have done to motorize this particular bike.

Tom

MadMannArt

Aug 13, 2013
LongBeach, wa
I just bought some #41 roller chain from Napa.. bought a 10ft piece, comes with masterlink, I also picked up some half links...
Dude, if you can handle syncing the carbs on the Honda, you can handle this...
I had to stop over thinking it. Basically it is a ****ty chainsaw engine, it is that simple. I used a Manic Mechanic rear hub adapter on everything I build because I like them.. I"ve used the spring tensioner pictured above, they work great with a SMOOTH pully, mine kept jumping the teeth of the sprocket on it, I put the Roller bushing from the stock tensioner on it, problem solved...

Crusade

Oct 1, 2013
Appleton Wisconsin
Just a quick update:

Went ahead and bought new chain based on all of the advice given here. Borrowed a chain breaker and away I went. Got the new chain on and did some adjusting. Lots of adjusting later on the rear end and I have a running bike!

I got insanely lucky though. Contacted a local member here on the forums about our legal status with bikes and it turns out he lives about a mile away from me!

We've hung out a few times and my motorized bicycle would not be running without him. Rat Bones is one **** of a guy.

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Welcome Crusade, Maybe you should call your bike "DeathTrap", to mock what it was and honor what it isn't anymore... Just a thought.

Crusade

Oct 1, 2013
Appleton Wisconsin
I actually really like that idea for a name. Thanks for the suggestion Massdrive. The new build feels much more safe and the only thing left from the last motorized bicycle is the motor. But I do like the name. Thanks.