drive sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
First bike is close to initial run.One thing I've noticed is when I roll the bike around my shop(chain on,clutch in)the chain is fighting the motor sprocket.
The sprocket seems to be a very tight fit to the chain and when the chain is feeding onto the sprocket you can see the links slightly raise up before they drop unto the teeth.Somewhat noisy too.I noticed when I first installed the chain it would actually get stuck on the sprocket and I would have to knock it off.Is this normal for a new chain and sprocket before braking in or should I work on the sprocket a little? Thanks,Ron

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
It happens with them. Some take and touch up the sprocket with a small round file or a dremel tool. How in the world did we get by before the advent of the dremel tool.......................

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i think that was back in the days when i had to get up to change channels on the tv rotfl i have to admit my dermel tool is great for working on my motorized bicycle

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
where did you get your engine kit? I have not run into this yet. Sounds like your front sprocket is maybe a mismatch for your chain or not finish machined very well using a file or dremel on it you should get the chain to bed in the sprocket better take the time to get it to work smoothly or you will risk the chain wading up and breaking the front housing and that's not a good thing. Best to get it right before you fire it up. let us know how it works out and please post a picture of your new ride so we all can slobber on it but you better wax it up good first cause all the slobbering will rust it.rotfl
Norman

Last edited:

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
I got the kit from boygofast.Guess I'll pull the sprocket off and relieve the teeth a little.The chain fits the rear wheel sprocket fine.Right when you think your getting close boynogo.
Hate to think the chain and sprocket are a mismatch.Thanks,Ron

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Also,is there a preferred way to lock the drive when removing sprocket nut or anything else I should know.I'm guessing counterclockwise to remove?Thanks again,Ron

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Well I got the sprocket nut off and noticed it has a retaining pin or something holding it on.Decided to work on it in place.Narrowed the teeth front to back and it works a lot better
but still a little rough.I think the chain may not match the sprocket.Center to center everything is alright (pitch?) but needs smaller rollers or smaller teeth.Where can one find a higher quality chain-sprocket combo.
Norman,you might like like the looks,sorta got this Darth Vader thing going on.That with a little Pee Wee Herman mixed in.I probably ought to post a pic.before the first test run in the event that either the bike or I don't make it back.
I hope the Chinese don't get the idea to build airplane kits.Ron

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
When I was dry fitting my Stretch cruiser I noticed that the chain would not seat properly. I played around with different engine attitudes and it helped. Just a slight variation in the mounting position and the chain would rub against the casing.

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Got her fired up and went on down the road!Less than a mile as I was hearing some noises I didn't like and was half expecting the chain the chain to fly off.
This squeaking noise turned out to to be the lower chain slapping on the wheel even though there is about 1/8" clearance at rest.Anyway for peace of mind I'm going to upgrade chain and sprocket.I see Dax sells a "Precision Super Duty" chain,probably the same one I have now.They also sell a 1.5 mm wide 081 engine sprocket counter shaft sprocket. Good for 415 and 081 chains.Just what is a 081 chain?Any thoughts on this setup. Thanks,Ron
I should mention my bike seems to run smooth and I can see this is going to be a blast.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I got the kit from boygofast.Guess I'll pull the sprocket off and relieve the teeth a little.The chain fits the rear wheel sprocket fine.Right when you think your getting close boynogo.
Hate to think the chain and sprocket are a mismatch.Thanks,Ron
Keep carving those teeth are not close to correct from the kit. You can use the rear sprocket for a contour and you can make the front teeth smaller, it is a smaller circle, it will work. Have fun, Dave

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
if the chain has clearance but is slapping the tire, you probably have too much chain on the bike. Too much slack in it. just a guess...I must have gotten lucky I have that kit and mine never had a moments problem with the sprocket.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I have run into similar problems with my builds but I usually don't sweat it. Usually after about a mile or 2 the chain and sprocket break in and they mesh fine. I do suggest that your chain tension be adjusted correctly though, sounds like you had it a little loose if it was hitting the tire. I just tweaked the tensioner to move the chain away from the tire and also the shorter the chain the better. If you can remove links I would.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
to add to this keep your chain well lubbed. i had a few tight spots in mine and kept lubing till it was correct

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If there is only and 1/8" clearance and the chain is hitting the tire, I'd say don't sweat it. That's pretty close, but where's the chain gonna go?

It's gonna ruin your white wall anyway.