Smokey: is it my mixture?

GoldenMotor.com

LeTweek

Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
Pretty new to the list. I'm in Oregon and my (2) grubbees share 60 mi/wk average; 10 mi of which is uphill. Thanks for this great free service.

After some engine failures I ended up replacing one Skyhawk unit w/a new one.
I'm getting a whole lot of smoke and black liquid sputter out of the muffler. It is evident on the crank arm and my shoes. I'm about half way through my gallon of break-in mixture. I'm running 7.1 oz of Sthil 2-cycle oil to a gallon of premium
My Q:
Is this by any means normal for break-in or otherwise?

Thanx in advance

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yes, that's too much oil.
any stihl product is first rate. You don't need that much oil in the gas.

I have some little tiny bottles of mix oil... I think Champion brand? There is 2.56oz per bottle I think.... it is sold specifically for mixing into 1 gallon of gas.

So, without doing the math, you gotta be WAY thick!

Also, you got other probs...

if you got that much oil pukin out on your shoes and stuff, there's probs with your exhaust, gaskets, or whatever, that need attention.

and,
probably are running way too rich.

I would advise you read through a whole bunch of the threads here on the forum.
There is SO MUCH great information within them!

Best
rc

LeTweek

Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
Thanks. I was going by the recommended break-in mix instructions in the manual that came with the engine. I have a weedwhacker and those little bottles you describe. Is that 2.6oz/gal what you would recommend? More oil than that for break-in, right?

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
2.6oz is way to thin for break in i wouldn't even run that normally its almost 60:1 i run at 32:1 which is 4oz for brake in i would say 5.5oz is good a 24:1 ratio

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I would break in with a mix of 18:1 or 20:1. That would be approximately 6 to 7oz oil per gallon of gas. I would run that a couple hundred miles then run a standard mix of 32:1 which is 4oz oil per gallon of gas.

Here is a link to a mix calculator where you can enter your amount of gas and desired mix and it will tell you how much oil to add...

http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html

Also, make sure you turn off your fuel valve when the motor is not running. Sometimes if left on fuel will seep into the motor and it eventually loads up in places like the crankcase and muffler....

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Well, there you have it!
already got differing replies! lol

I wouldn't run 20:1 for more than a quart of gas.

and then we gotta go back and consider that 'manual' you mentioned...

the entire design came from the russians, stolen from the germans, and is just simply antiquated... I dunno what they got in china, but out on the farm I'm sure they are lucky to have a bit of thirty weight motor oil. well, almost sure!
20:1 is REALLY old school. days gone by...

even though I differ with his approach a little, I think it might be best to use the BikeGuyJoe break-in method with a chinagirl.
Best to read some of those older threads on break-in.
My method is a process, kinda. It's all there...

anyhow, yours is already broken in. don't worry abt it!

40 or 50 to one now and let r rip.

or you could try opti2 at 100 to one !
rc

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Well, there you have it!
already got differing replies! lol

I wouldn't run 20:1 for more than a quart of gas.

and then we gotta go back and consider that 'manual' you mentioned...

the entire design came from the russians, stolen from the germans, and is just simply antiquated... I dunno what they got in china, but out on the farm I'm sure they are lucky to have a bit of thirty weight motor oil. well, almost sure!
20:1 is REALLY old school. days gone by...

even though I differ with his approach a little, I think it might be best to use the BikeGuyJoe break-in method with a chinagirl.
Best to read some of those older threads on break-in.
My method is a process, kinda. It's all there...

anyhow, yours is already broken in. don't worry abt it!

40 or 50 to one now and let r rip.

or you could try opti2 at 100 to one !
rc
I completely disagree. IMHO if you run less than a 32:1 ratio with a china girl engine you're asking for trouble eventually. I don't get excessive smoke and no oil drip from mine with a 32:1 mix. 50:1 is not enough oil if you ask me, and I'm not sold on the Opti at 100:1 either. I don't think burning just a quart of break-in mix is a good idea either, I would do it least a gallon or two. So there you have it, different (2)strokes for different folks....

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
i break in at 16-1, but i run my at 24-1 all the time, its easier to clean out carbon deposits than it is to clean piston chunks from your exhaust.

I run 4 ounces synthetic oil mixed with 1.5 ounces castor bean oil. (maxima 927)