Wanting a new motor

GoldenMotor.com

Rusty1

Jun 12, 2012
U.S.A.
I've been looking around for a new motor , I'm dissatisfied with the Skyhawk 66/80 that I purchased . A while back I found a website that sold engines that are brand new but have been reworked and better quality parts added to them . One of these motors is a 50cc but rated at 9 horse power . I'm considering spending the extra money to purchase one of them , only problem is I didn't book mark the site and I cant find now . Would anybody happen to know the website I'm talking about and has anyone purchased one of these motors .
Also , I'm a bit of a nub and need some advise on the best parts supplier to deal with . there are so many out there but a lot of them sell nothing but crap parts .

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED .

Rusty1

Jun 12, 2012
U.S.A.
I'll have to look in to it . I know the price was well above the normal price but it sounds like it should be a great motor . Thanks a bunch for the insight .

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've been looking around for a new motor , I'm dissatisfied with the Skyhawk 66/80 that I purchased . A while back I found a website that sold engines that are brand new but have been reworked and better quality parts added to them . One of these motors is a 50cc but rated at 9 horse power . I'm considering spending the extra money to purchase one of them , only problem is I didn't book mark the site and I cant find now . Would anybody happen to know the website I'm talking about and has anyone purchased one of these motors .
Also , I'm a bit of a nub and need some advise on the best parts supplier to deal with . there are so many out there but a lot of them sell nothing but crap parts .

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED .
Just wondering, what's wrong with the SkyHawk? Maybe the problems could be addressed. China girl motors are great motors generally speaking. I'm very happy with my new Flying Horse 80. I bought it from BikeBerry.

I couldn't just slap it on though. I had to correct a few minor deficiencies first.
Nothing you wouldn't have to do to any china girl.

Rusty1

Jun 12, 2012
U.S.A.
I've already gone threw and ground out the bad welds in the intake , trimmed the gaskets on the intake and exaust manifold , filed down the step on the head and played around with several different spark plugs . I even confiscated another carb from a friend . nothing seems to change the fact that it wants to 4 stroke on me whenever it feels like it , speed makes no difference . When it does decide to run right it goes like a bat out of **** . I went by one of those road side speed radars at 46 mph . That's maybe 1 ride out of 10 though . I'm at the end of my capability's . Unfortunately this is my only source of transportation and the majority of my riding is in fairly heavy traffic and I'm not able to trust it .

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I've already gone threw and ground out the bad welds in the intake , trimmed the gaskets on the intake and exaust manifold , filed down the step on the head and played around with several different spark plugs . I even confiscated another carb from a friend . nothing seems to change the fact that it wants to 4 stroke on me whenever it feels like it , speed makes no difference . When it does decide to run right it goes like a bat out of **** . I went by one of those road side speed radars at 46 mph . That's maybe 1 ride out of 10 though . I'm at the end of my capability's . Unfortunately this is my only source of transportation and the majority of my riding is in fairly heavy traffic and I'm not able to trust it .
these are not common problems among ht engines. this to me sounds like there is either an air leak, or you have done something wrong. dont get offended. we all probably have done something wrong once or twice while experimenting with ht engines. but if you are at the end of your capabilities with an ht motor, i would not advise that you buy any motor that requires any diy work.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've come to the conclusion that the NT carb likes to 4 stroke. I switched to a Speed carb and it works a lot better.

I've tried it on 3 engines and it worked better on all of them.

Rusty1

Jun 12, 2012
U.S.A.
.wee.I think that's what my next move should be [replacing the junk carb] . The only adjustment you can really make are just the idle , choke and throttle . You cant even replace the jet . I've triple checked everything I've done to be certain I haven't messed anything up or missed anything . I did find that my head was put on at the factory all cockeyed and torqued on uneven . that was when I filed the lip off it and then I torqued it on properly . I have sprayed starting fluid around the entire motor to check for leaks . To my knowledge I haven't done anything wrong . The carb that I have at the moment is a CNS and the one that my buddy loaned me was the same . After I replace that I'm out of options . I really hate the thought of replacing the entire motor , when it runs , buddy it runs ! I love the thing ! And all the heads that it turns makes me want to make it run right even more . Its a cool little bike .

If I hadn't found this forum I think I might have taken a sledge hammer to it by now . THIS PLACE ROCKS for a new guy to the MB world .

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
.wee.I think that's what my next move should be [replacing the junk carb] . The only adjustment you can really make are just the idle , choke and throttle . You cant even replace the jet . I've triple checked everything I've done to be certain I haven't messed anything up or missed anything . I did find that my head was put on at the factory all cockeyed and torqued on uneven . that was when I filed the lip off it and then I torqued it on properly . I have sprayed starting fluid around the entire motor to check for leaks . To my knowledge I haven't done anything wrong . The carb that I have at the moment is a CNS and the one that my buddy loaned me was the same . After I replace that I'm out of options . I really hate the thought of replacing the entire motor , when it runs , buddy it runs ! I love the thing ! And all the heads that it turns makes me want to make it run right even more . Its a cool little bike .

If I hadn't found this forum I think I might have taken a sledge hammer to it by now . THIS PLACE ROCKS for a new guy to the MB world .
I recommend a Speed carb if ones available. If not then an NT. Get a 68 jet. Run the needle clip second slot from the top.

Rusty1

Jun 12, 2012
U.S.A.
Its been quite warm and humid here in Michigan the last couple weeks . Last night was the first cool and comfortable night that we've had in a while . On my way home from work I noticed that I wasn't getting the spatter and hesitation that I've been trying so hard to figure out . The thing ran so good I didn't go right home . I went for well over an hour ride and the thing ran BEAUTIFUL ! I didn't want to put it away when I did . Then It was warm and humid again today and its back to running the same as it normally does .
I know for a fact I cant do anything with the jet in my current carb but is it possible that this is whats been causing my issues all along .

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Hey Rusty,

Not sure we have had the same issues but I'm from MI as well so I'm dealing with the same weather (for the most part). The first time my engine was up and running I had a lot of spatter out the front of the engine. The mount and down tube were wet with fuel. I should say this was the second time I had the engine on the bike. First time it wouldn't start at all. Broken rings and the area where the head and cylinder met was shaped like a potato chip. I had the cylinder decked but it sputtered fuel and bogged on modest hills despite my 44t sprocket. I had bought the engine on CL thinking I'd save a few bucks. So then, I've replaced the cylinder with one purchased from BGF, rings also from BGF. Replaced the CNS carb with a NT carb and also the cable, and a new NGK plug all from DAX. Also bought a plenum on eBay from Turret Tooling (mostly for the low end performance). Now the only leak I need to seal up is the pipes on my SBP expansion chamber.

All in all the engine has been apart at least three times and the sputtering is nearly gone. The four stroking is getting to be less and less as the new parts run in. I took a shotgun approach to solving my problem. perhaps a $20 - $30 carb would do it instead of an entire engine for you.

Something else to consider - a 9 hp MB is a motorcycle in MI, not a Moped.

Rusty1

Jun 12, 2012
U.S.A.
ya Harold . I wouldn't mind having to register and insure it if I chose to go that route . I'm not ready to give up on this motor quite yet . I'm sure I'll get it up and purring like it should sooner or later . I had a guy yesterday offer me $650 cash on the spot for the bike the way it sits and I maybe should have sold it but I'm just to attached to it already . What can I say , Its been a pain in my backside but I love the thing and I love riding it . I'm ordering a new head and carb for it in hopes that it will take care of the problem . If I do get it running right its going to put me in a bit of a dilemma though . I'm going to miss all the tinkering and wont have anything to keep my mind occupied ! lol . I may have to do another one . I'm an addict already ! GOD HELP ME !

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
As long as you talking bout replacing the carb... I'd look into the carb dax sells on page 1 I think. Its the one with the shark air cleaner for like 30 bucks. I bought that carb and it solved all my four stroking issues and greatly improved my engines ability to breathe. You will have to buy the throttle cable for it and I had to swap out the 65 jet for the 70 but wasn't a big deal as the carb comes with 65, 70, and 80 jets. 65 it ran ok, 70 bike screams, 80 its a turd (wouldn't go over 10 mph). \m/ >.< \m/

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
When my carb cracked, I had to order a new one, and the new ones *seemed* like the jet couldn't be replaced. Well, I tried drilling the jet that was in it, but when that didn't work, I double checked, and it turned out that the jet *did* unscrew from the emulsion tube. It didn't have any indicating marks and it looked like it was a single-piece, but it did unscrew.